McKenzie: Jesse Puljujarvi has requested a trade from Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
He has hope right now after 3 years of EDM development model?
He's done nothing to help himself. Hasn't improved one iota in 3 years with the club. He's in no position to demand anything publicly but now that he did...well Jesse I hope you are ready for the ramifications.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Unless there's a deal that actually makes sense I doubt it. If Jesse refuses to play for the Oilers ever again why does any animosity matter? The team doesn't have to throw him away for scraps if that's all that's being offered. The player has much more to lose in terms of earning potential.
but your team is also getting penalized..you could have an asset (from trading him) that could help your team (which needs help)

Sitting a guy out of spite is dumb if you ask me.(sitting him won't increase his trade value)..Trade him ,move on..get a player who wants to play on the Oilers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the Send want to trade White without a big overpayment

My counter offer would be:
8 + PoolParty
For
Logan Brown and 32
Doesn't make much sense for Edmonton. Brown hasn't done enough to exceed his draft position at 11, and if Edmonton is trading 8OA it is for a player that they know can play in their top 6 in October.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
but your team is also getting penalized..you could have an asset (from trading him) that could help your team (which needs help)

Sitting a guy out of spite is dumb if you ask me.(sitting him won't increase his trade value)..Trade him ,move on..get a player who wants to play on the Oilers.
If that asset was helping the team then a trade would be made. Unfortunately something like a 3rd round pick is not likely to help the team for the majority of McDavid's contract if ever. If there's a hockey trade to be made for a player that can help contribute now then yeah I'm sure they'll accommodate the trade. If there isn't then what's the point of trading him?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What is he even worth?
It doesn't matter what he's worth. He's worth less than 10% of what that pick was worth at the draft table and it's all on him.
His attempt at learning English has been pathetic, his growth as a player has been non-existent and his injury that resulted in double hip surgery was all his own doing as he refused to listen to the team's trainers and refused to train with less weight.
I don't want to see him traded. Let him go to Europe and fade into obscurity for all I care.
He doesn't deserve a second chance since he's never put an honest effort into becoming a hockey player in Edmonton.
He's coming awfully close to becoming Finnish version of Alexandre Daigle imo.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's coming awfully close to becoming Finnish version of Alexandre Daigle imo.

Pursuing an acting career while dating Playboy models? Puljujärvi is a good kid. Not a smart kid, but a good kid. I don't know if he'll manage to figure it out, but he's tried his best.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

It's not spite and who's sitting? Dude is threatening to going to Europe, let him go. Let him go and be a point per game player there. That's perceived to be better than than a 15 point player in the NHL, which he was last year. This is what I mean by him over playing his hand. One day it's a rumor that he signed to play in the KHL, a couple weeks later its his agent saying he'll play in Europe before playing for the Oilers. Go. His value around the league isn't worth trading him, other than doing him a favour??? Why would the Oilers do him a favour, he's not going to be in Edmonton causing any type of distraction.

The asset coming back has to be worth a young but struggling former 4th overall pick. The Oilers traded Yakupov when he was 2 years older and obviously a bust. Nothing is obvious with JP other than not a great start.

Pav96

Nov 22, 2016
Let him sit in Europe till you get a legit offer, if not, make him ride out Europe till he is a UFA. I would Purposely keep him out of the NHL, He has Zero leverage. You wanna be a baby, then you can go play in Finland. If you wanna grow up and take responsibility for you career, come into camp with a good attitude, earn a spot and try and improve yourself so you're actually worth something, then if Im Holland i'd try and make something work. The Oilers have all the power, and I expect them to fully use it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's not spite and who's sitting? Dude is threatening to going to Europe, let him go. Let him go and be a point per game player there. That's perceived to be better than than a 15 point player in the NHL, which he was last year. This is what I mean by him over playing his hand. One day it's a rumor that he signed to play in the KHL, a couple weeks later its his agent saying he'll play in Europe before playing for the Oilers. Go. His value around the league isn't worth trading him, other than doing him a favour??? Why would the Oilers do him a favour, he's not going to be in Edmonton causing any type of distraction.

The asset coming back has to be worth a young but struggling former 4th overall pick. The Oilers traded Yakupov when he was 2 years older and obviously a bust. Nothing is obvious with JP other than not a great start.
I was just saying you're better off getting' something' for him than nothing..and you'll get more for him.sooner ,rather than later.

The closest player that comes to mind who is a young struggling top 5 pick is Micheal Dal Colle.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I was just saying you're better off getting' something' for him than nothing..and you'll get more for him.sooner ,rather than later.

The closest player that comes to mind who is a young struggling top 5 pick is Micheal Dal Colle.
The Oilers aren't getting nothing is my point. They are getting cap space that they can use to replace his 15 points. They used similar money to sign a 20 goal scorer off the heap last season. He isn't worth trading today, maybe next year he is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And if he doesn't have a decent season, his value drops to zero. "Low ball" simply reflect his market value, which already takes into account risk/reward. This should be common sense.

He's put up good numbers in the AHL, I think you take that bet that he'll be even more comfortable playing back home in Finland for a year. Let him get his confidence growing again and revisit the situation a year from now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's put up good numbers in the AHL, I think you take that bet that he'll be even more comfortable playing back home in Finland for a year. Let him get his confidence growing again and revisit the situation a year from now.
He needs to put up a good season somewhere. If that’s Finland so be it. He’s 21. He has 2 accrued nhl seasons so still needs 5 more to be ufa. If he returns to Finland next season it would mean that when he returns say in a years time he’s a ufa when he’s 27 (under current cba rules) which would be in 2025. So there isn’t a rush to move him. Just have to hope he regains his game back home.

Reactions: nturn06

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He needs to put up a good season somewhere. If that’s Finland so be it. He’s 21. He has 2 accrued nhl seasons so still needs 5 more to be ufa. If he returns to Finland next season it would mean that when he returns say in a years time he’s a ufa when he’s 27 (under current cba rules) which would be in 2025. So there isn’t a rush to move him. Just have to hope he regains his game back home.

If you can't get anything good for him, yeah, I'm not really seeing the downside of just telling him to go play in Finland for a year.

If he was to play in the NHL, odds are he'd need some time in the AHL this season and he's too proud to play there, so fine, go play in Finland and have fun there for a year.

Revisit the situation in a year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The guy who has been roster 3rd liner ever since and was 1.5ppg in milwaukee?

I d say he was 100% right and Detroit burned another bridge sticking kids in the dumpster.

Did you seriously just cite a 6 game sample?

God knows Detroit is horrible at developing forwards...

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If you can't get anything good for him, yeah, I'm not really seeing the downside of just telling him to go play in Finland for a year.

If he was to play in the NHL, odds are he'd need some time in the AHL this season and he's too proud to play there, so fine, go play in Finland and have fun there for a year.

Revisit the situation in a year.
Yeah the reception will be harsh in Finland for a cocky boy returning on the milk train. A bad season in Finland might be a devastating experience.

Plus it's obvious as far as he's concerned he's done with the Oilers. It's no one's benefit to insist on enforcing the "we got your rights, you're our *****" when there's been a clear falling out. Bad optics when one side is a profit-oriented megabusiness and the other is a guy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah the reception will be harsh in Finland for a cocky boy returning on the milk train. A bad season in Finland might be a devastating experience.

Plus it's obvious as far as he's concerned he's done with the Oilers. It's no one's benefit to insist on enforcing the "we got your rights, you're our *****" when there's been a clear falling out. Bad optics when one side is a profit-oriented megabusiness and the other is a guy.

If he's so fragile he can't even make it in Finland playing a lower tier of hockey quite frankly, he's not going to make it anywhere in the NHL anyway.

You're under contract, really he should be playing in the AHL this year. He doesn't want to because he doesn't like riding AHL buses. Well alright then, go chill with mommy for a year and get your game back on track back home.

It's not even a "punishment", he needs more development time, he's not ready right now to compete against NHL competition for 82 games. And there's no shame in that either, it's not supposed to be an easy league to play in. NHL is not a development league.

Playing in Finland for a year if he doesn't want to be in the AHL is probably the best thing for him overall. It's not about "spiting" the kid or punishing him.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
What the hell is Puljujarvi thinking. He's not worth anything in return. No incentive for oilers to trade him and risk eggy face if Pulju turns it around. Off to Europe you go

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Doesn't matter if he wants to be there or not.

I am totally ok with JP compeltely busting and going down as a bust as an Oiler spending the rest of his time in the ECHL.

I am not ok with him being traded at 21 years old, and breaking out on another team.

The list of players who break out after the age of 21, is long. We ****ed up his development by not keeping him in the FEL for a year, and the AHL for 2 seasons. This upcoming season should have been his rookie year.

He's 21. A LOT of very good NHL players have not played their first game at 21.

A lot of players haven’t had the luxury of playing 139 NHL games at 21, while looking more like Scooby Doo who is high on Scooby Snacks than like a competent NHL player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't matter if he wants to be there or not.

I am totally ok with JP compeltely busting and going down as a bust as an Oiler spending the rest of his time in the ECHL.

I am not ok with him being traded at 21 years old, and breaking out on another team.

The list of players who break out after the age of 21, is long. We ****ed up his development by not keeping him in the FEL for a year, and the AHL for 2 seasons. This upcoming season should have been his rookie year.

He's 21. A LOT of very good NHL players have not played their first game at 21.
I see this pointed out a lot about young kids struggling. The big thing that should be noted, while many successful NHLers haven't played a game before their D+4 they generally have two things that apply to Puljujarvi's case. Firstly, they weren't high-end draft picks (who are always given an opportunity to crack the NHL earlier for a variety of reasons). Secondly, while these players may not have played in the NHL, they tended to show a trend towards improving every year post draft. The most worrying thing about Puljujarvi is not that he has been so lackluster in the NHL, it's that he's shown almost no discernable improvement in 3 years, and he hasn't played like even a competent NHL player during that time-frame for any significant period of time.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Assume the following is true:
Option 1 - Puljujarvi signs in Europe and the Oilers receive nothing in return.
Option 2 - The Oilers trade Puljujarvi and receive something in return.

In that scenario, which option makes the most logical sense?
Let him sign in Europe and retain his rights for many a year. He his value goes up trade him if it goes down no big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad