McKenzie: Jesse Puljujarvi has requested a trade from Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why should the Oilers lose a deal to cater to Pulju?

First off, I don't know how they're gonna 'win' a deal for a busting prospect who wants nothing to do with the organization....

But to answer the question, because this is toxic and a distraction for an organization. Puljuarvi isn't gonna return you a high pick or nice player back. When a guy really wants out like he does, it's probably best to just move on. Take the 3rd round pick or B-/C Prospect and move on, IMO.

Reactions: fr9dd9

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
I mean... Puljus started the hardball here, not Edmonton. I want Jesse to be successful, he's a great kid, but that success can't be at the price of the organization. That's no beunos.

He's the one that made this an me vs you situation.
They drafted him, then gave their best bluechip prospect no room to learn properly, stick him between NHL and the stands then even Lucic playing more with poorer production. Please its no wonder he wants out, why not get something out of him than just let him 'rot' in europe out of spite. Is this the NA way? Pretty narcissitic if you ask me.

Reactions: fr9dd9 and jonu

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Tbh he'd probably benefit from a season in Europe. A clean season with top line minutes could turn his career around

I think Europe would be best for him too but the kid needs to realise he is not going to get a trade until he has proven he can be a NHL player. Unfortunately I do not think he is getting the best advice from his family/agent.

Reactions: McDrai

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
They drafted him, then gave their best bluechip prospect no room to learn properly, stick him between NHL and the stands then even Lucic playing more with poorer production. Please its no wonder he wants out, why not get something out of him than just let him 'rot' in europe out of spite. Is this the NA way? Pretty narcissitic if you ask me.

I don't think you'll find many posters who will disagree with the fact that he was mismanaged and that it is in his rights to request a trade. But there is a better way to handle a trade request. Duchene, Hamonic and Drouin are prime examples of players who requested a trade, but still showed up and played for their team while it was being worked out. The Oilers failed Jesse, but they still don't owe him anything.

Reactions: iCanada

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
First off, I don't know how they're gonna 'win' a deal for a busting prospect who wants nothing to do with the organization....

But to answer the question, because this is toxic and a distraction for an organization. Puljuarvi isn't gonna return you a high pick or nice player back. When a guy really wants out like he does, it's probably best to just move on. Take the 3rd round pick or B-/C Prospect and move on, IMO.

Nope. Pulju can grow up and get over it, or he can play in Europe until he's worth something.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

It's not about spite, it's about protecting your interests as a competitive business.

No different than any other business. It'd be different if pulju had proven anything, but Edmonton pretty much gets worse giving him an NHL opportunity. If he wants to play some where else, he can go overseas or prove to our competitors that he's worth taking a chance on. Until then he got no value.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

If he's playing in Europe how is it toxic and a distraction for the organization?

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I don't think you'll find many posters who will disagree with the fact that he was mismanaged and that it is in his rights to request a trade. But there is a better way to handle a trade request. Duchene, Hamonic and Drouin are prime examples of players who requested a trade, but still showed up and played for their team while it was being worked out. The Oilers failed Jesse, but they still don't owe him anything.

I honestly think Jesse just needs to mature a bit as he has not really taken any of his NHL experience all that seriously. Edmonton made some mistakes but Jesse done himself no favours. Maybe playing in Europe will help him grow up.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You still don't understand how businesses are run, and the current management put in place (who decides if he's moved) takes no blame in how he was previously handled.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
No different than any other business.

In most other businesses, owning rights to an employee that is not under contract, and thereby preventing them from being hired by your 30 closest competitors would be considered an unenforceable restraint of trade. Professional sports, with their CBAs, are very different to other businesses.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly think Jesse just needs to mature a bit as he has not really taken any of his NHL experience all that seriously. Edmonton made some mistakes but Jesse done himself no favours. Maybe playing in Europe will help him grow up.
That worked out for Dadonov. It's easy to say "just trade him for what you can get", but if the benefit of such a deal is negligible you might as well hang onto him and consider him a long-term investment. You may never get a return on that investment, but you might as well hold onto it if your short-term investment has no meaningful return.

Reactions: Calypso and iCanada

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In most other businesses, owning rights to an employee that is not under contract, and thereby preventing them from being hired by your 30 closest competitors would be considered an unenforceable restraint of trade. Professional sports, with their CBAs, are very different to other businesses.

The exact scenario sure, but not the general scenario. You have to be willing to provide value to get paid and be advanced. Jesse isn't doing that and now is going all squeaky wheel.

In the real world he gets he gets fired.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so no leverage for EDM. he wants out and hasnt played well.........Namestnikov for Poo........he's a UFA but a good player

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There's several other professional leagues out there. He's welcome to go work in them. Most other businesses don't pay like the NHL either.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Honestly if Puljujarvi is going to pull this and you cant get a fair return let him go to Europe, he brings nothing to the team that can't be replaced by a more useful player with a better attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille