McKenzie: Jesse Puljujarvi has requested a trade from Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’m sure once he learns to skate, shoot and use his brain he will make a great hockey player!

I get that you're trying to make a joke but Jesse can skate and shoot. Very well.

He has to get up to speed in reading the play in the NHL and knowing where to be. I think that goes back to coaching and being rushed into the league.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I get that you're trying to make a joke but Jesse can skate and shoot. Very well.

He has to get up to speed in reading the play in the NHL and knowing where to be. I think that goes back to coaching and being rushed into the league.
Is that the same flaw that Yakupov had?
That's a pretty big flaw and one that I'm not sure coaching can truly solved.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I still think he could be a force as long as he play with confidence and Joy. The fact that he wants a trade proves he does not feel well psycologically(lol spelling). It does not matther how the edmonton org / fans feels, If a player dont feel well he wont play as good as he can. Really simple fact. Puljujarvi seams to lack the drive to always prove himself worty no matther what, its something every player need to do. Guess Puljujarvis psyco isnt strong enough for the nhl. But if he would end up in an organisation that can give him a top 6 role with say a fellow fin from the start I really think he can become a great player. Still just maybe.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Glad to know that you're so close to the team that you're in on his education process, training and inside JP's mind knowing that he isn't putting in any effort.

Ludacris comment. Sure Pulju hasn't developed as hoped, but the kid just turned 21. Most players at 21 are still in college/AHL. Hell most kids at 21 are at home living with their parents not sure of what they're going to do next in life.

Pulju moved to a new country (without Finns on the team until Koskinen came.. and even then you have a 30 year old goalie.. not a mentor by any means to a 20yr old fwd), trying to learn a new language, and has been coached by what seems like 15 different head coaches.

Seems like a difficult situation to find your footing, your confidence and to try and work out your kinks.

To say that his injury was his own doing.. simply ridiculous. To know anything about his effort is impossible.

I will say.. he seems like a good kid who put in some effort (extra practices) last season.. but has not been in the ideal situation to grow properly as both a confident young adult and a confident hockey player.

At 21yrs old (and that's just about a month and a half past his bday), and being such a big bodied player at 6'4" 200lbs.. it's far far too early to write him off.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.
If you followed Edmonton media closely you'd know that the moment he was drafted that his parents insisted that he didn't need to take the whole language barrier thing seriously because he's sure to be a huge success having been drafted so high.
As for training, yeah, that's out there. It was mentioned over a year ago and when it was announced that the rest of his season was written off it was announced again.
100% legit no offense intended, but please use your brain before opening your mouth. I'd rather not mistake your words for farts. I'm sure you're a nice intelligent individual and I hope next time we chat it's easy for me to see how awesome you are.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Carolina seems like the perfect fit for Puljujarvi. The team needs more right-handers and it puts him with Aho and TT.

That may be true, but what would Carolina offer that would be fair and palatable for the Oilers? Holland isn't likely to make a trade just for the hell of it, and won't be fleeced like Chiarelli had been.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
That may be true, but what would Carolina offer that would be fair and palatable for the Oilers? Holland isn't likely to make a trade just for the hell of it, and won't be fleeced like Chiarelli had been.

Saarela maybe? Fin for fin

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Fleeced? This kid is well on his way to busting. Dont make it seem like he holds a lot value here.

a 2nd as a project at best IMO

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
To the guys saying that he doesn't have right to ask for a trade - yes he does. Players are not prisoners and they are going to lose him for free or waste a roster spot on a player who doesn't want to play for you. I think he will end up top 6 winger somewhere else. Best fit would a young team with other Finns

They control him for 5 more years if he stays in the NHL, or 6 more years if he bolts to Europe. If a hockey deal exists for another youngish forward who also needs a change of scenery then sure we'll accommodate him. If it doesn't and all we can get is a 3rd round pick which does very little for us then too bad Jesse can play unhappily for the Oilers and try to build his trade value, or he can go to Europe and hopefully build his game up and come back to prove it with the Oilers (then we can look at a trade) or he can stay in Europe for 6 years and piss away several million dollars.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008

Sorry, he can skate but he hasn't been a good shooter at the NHL level. His career shooting % is 7.4%, that is pretty bad

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
They control him for 5 more years if he stays in the NHL, or 6 more years if he bolts to Europe. If a hockey deal exists for another youngish forward who also needs a change of scenery then sure we'll accommodate him. If it doesn't and all we can get is a 3rd round pick which does very little for us then too bad Jesse can play unhappily for the Oilers and try to build his trade value, or he can go to Europe and hopefully build his game up and come back to prove it with the Oilers (then we can look at a trade) or he can stay in Europe for 6 years and piss away several million dollars.
He has to clear waivers though or are you planning to keep him up or down for 5 years? I think he could work as a piece to move up somewhere in the draft.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Modest trade assets, obviously. Keeping him is just spiteful and not grounded in any sort of rational decision making.

No, it sets a precedent that you won't let people without leverage walk all over you. Why should the Oilers lose a deal to cater to Pulju? Puljus only choice to play in the NHL is Edmonton.

Maybe you lose out on a third or some replacement level NHL skater, big woop. Losing that battle is worth winning the war.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

A decent forward prospect. One of Aleksi Saarela, Janne Kuokkanen, or Stelio Mattheos.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Carolina seems like the perfect fit for Puljujarvi. The team needs more right-handers and it puts him with Aho and TT.

Nowhere near a guarantee he makes the team in Raleigh this fall. For that reason it's doubtful Carolina would give up anything of value, including Saarela who is in the same position in terms of waiver exposure.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He has to clear waivers though or are you planning to keep him up or down for 5 years? I think he could work as a piece to move up somewhere in the draft.
well it doesn't look like he wants to play in Edmonton but if he decides to he'll be in the NHL. He was a third liner a year ago before his hips started giving him trouble. I expect he will be a bottom 6er in the NHL next season now that he's had corrective surgery. If he decides to play in the NHL or gets traded that is.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
No, it sets a precedent that you won't let people without leverage walk all over you. Why should the Oilers lose a deal to cater to Pulju? Puljus only choice to play in the NHL is Edmonton.

Maybe you lose out on a third or some replacement level NHL skater, big woop. Losing that battle is worth winning the war.
Very narcissistic way of looking at things. Totally understand him for not wanting to risk his future with that dumpster fire team since its HIS career after all, EDM can go F themselves.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Very narcissistic way of looking at things, totally understand him for not wanting to risk his future with that dumpster fire team.

It's not narcissistic of him to shit the bed then go nuclear to the media?

You want to talk about risking your career, let's talk about threatening your employer who owns your some rights that you won't fulfill your contract. Go for it Jesse, spend the next five years in Europe instead of the NHL.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Is that the same flaw that Yakupov had?
That's a pretty big flaw and one that I'm not sure coaching can truly solved.

There's plenty of very good third liners or decent second liners who had great tools but low hockey IQ, so he definitely could be developed into a valuable asset. For example, Virtanen is starting to round into a solid player after a couple really rough years.

There probably isn't much potential for Puljujarvi to develop into a top line scorer, but with patience he could be a very valuable asset.

If I were Edmonton, I'd let him go play hockey for a few years in Europe and hope that he develops well.

Reactions: klabob

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
It's not narcissistic of him to **** the bed then go nuclear to the media?

You want to talk about risking your career, let's talk about threatening your employer who owns your some rights that you won't fulfill your contract. Go for it Jesse, spend the next five years in Europe instead of the NHL.
He just did fullfill his contract, now he wants a change. Who cares about rights? If EDM goes hardball just to F this kid over then its truly the most toxic garbage org on this planet.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Very narcissistic way of looking at things. Totally understand him for not wanting to risk his future with that dumpster fire team since its HIS career after all, EDM can go F themselves.

It is called doing business. Jesse has no leverage in this trade demand and if he wants to see it through he can suffer the consequences of his decision.

Reactions: McFlyingV

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He just did fullfill his contract, now he wants a change. Who cares about rights? If EDM goes hardball just to F this kid over then its truly the most toxic garbage org on this planet.

I mean... Puljus started the hardball here, not Edmonton. I want Jesse to be successful, he's a great kid, but that success can't be at the price of the organization. That's no beunos.

He's the one that made this an me vs you situation.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Very narcissistic way of looking at things, totally understand him for not wanting to risk his future with that dumpster fire team.
Are you new to how businesses are run? This is no different than a law firm refusing to waive a non compete for an employee who they invested heavily in that is poached by another firm. It's called good leadership and setting a precedent.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It is called doing business. Jesse has no leverage in this trade demand and if he wants to see it through he can suffer the consequences of his decision.
Tbh he'd probably benefit from a season in Europe. A clean season with top line minutes could turn his career around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille