Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I agree it makes it interesting. I'd be all for it if they didn't sign one of Lee, Eberle, or Nelson. Throw in Marner at 12.5 and Barzal at 12.5 next year. They would have 43.5 million tied up in those 5 guys.
To be fair moving Nelson or Eberle wouldnt be too difficult I dont think

No way anyone takes that Lee contract though

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

The more apples-to-apples comparison would be Vancouver 2011-15

2011: Niklas Jensen (29th) -- not the Caps d-man
2012: Brendan Gaunce (26th)
2013: Hunter Shinkaruk (24th)
2014: Jared McCann (24th)
2015: Brock Boeser (23rd)

Pick any 4 of those and tell me you don't trade them for Marner..

Reactions: YearlyLottery

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
To be fair moving Nelson or Eberle wouldnt be too difficult I dont think

No way anyone takes that Lee contract though

Eberle would be the odd man out in my view. I like Eberle but I am one of the few around here who thinks that he is trending downwards, playoffs notwithstanding. This team can't be giving away goals. Him and Filppula had 36 last year. That's not chump change. Marner and a cheapo center might replace it.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I’d personally value Pulock at about a (1/2 to 2/3) of Marner’s value. I’d say closer to 2/3rds. So you would have to make the difference from there.

Yeah wasn't implying straight up, I just think those guys are just what the other team needs. I suspect when Pulock's contract is up he'll be around Mark Stone money.

Reactions: CupHolders

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I agree it makes it interesting. I'd be all for it if they didn't sign one of Lee, Eberle, or Nelson. Throw in Marner at 12.5 and Barzal at 12.5 next year. They would have 43.5 million tied up in those 5 guys.

Man I'm not letting Barzal anywhere need free agency. Free Agency isn't the Islanders friend and his dabbling in expensive clothes and hanging out with actors doesn't scream suburbs lover. We sign him early or if he doesn't sign we trade his azz like we should have pajamadouche

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah wasn't implying straight up, I just think those guys are just what the other team needs. I suspect when Pulock's contract is up he'll be around Mark Stone money.

Oh, I was aware that you meant it as a package. I was just trying to figure what that package could look like from the Isles.

EDIT: stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You still are...

Nah, Dobson is easily worth more than a single mid-twenty something pick.

And Leafs or someone will have to take salary back. You can have Bailey or the first if someone else trades for him.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
We're giving something of value, you give us something.

If you saw earlier I willingly included a first pair RHD in Ryan Pulock who is set to make 2mil this year as a start. Makes more sense when considering TMLs window.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As per the poll... Is Marner worth four first rounders?

Yes.

Is it wise/worth offer sheeting him?

Not so sure.

Pretty much my feelings. I’d hate to be sitting on pins and needles the next 4 years.

Also, while Marner is electric and an elite talent we’re not exactly talking about a guy with a huge track record(mostly because of his age) or an elite goal scorer.

Yes, he has 90+ points but as we saw with Barzal in Trotz defense first system those points could be a good amount fewer. I’d prefer a guy with an elite shot who is more of a sniper if I’m giving up that much.

I just think the risk might not be worth the reward.

Reactions: ichabod13

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty much my feelings. I’d hate to be sitting on pins and needles the next 4 years.

Also, while Marner is electric and an elite talent we’re not exactly talking about a guy with a huge track record or an elite goal scorer.

Yes, he has 90+ points but as we saw with Barzal in Trotz defense first system those points could be a good amount fewer. I’d prefer a guy with an elite shot who is more of a sniper if I’m giving up that much.

I just think the risk might not be worth the reward.

Hmm... good point on an elite shot player under Trotz system.

But what I do like about Marner is that he is a line driver akin to a center. Also think he would be a good match for Lee and Nelson.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hmm... good point on an elite shot player under Trotz system.

But what I do like about Marner is that he is a line driver akin to a center. Also think he would be a good match for Lee and Nelson.

Agreed on him being a line driver. He’s a lot like Barzal. Really think he could potentially play center. I’d give him a shot there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad