Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Ferris has one job, to make Marner as much money as possible.

He's going to sign with Toronto anyway and every owner knows it. If you're the owner that offers him 12.5 you're the owner that just screwed Toronto out of two million a year. The owners are tight just like the players are tight.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hmm... good point on an elite shot player under Trotz system.

But what I do like about Marner is that he is a line driver akin to a center. Also think he would be a good match for Lee and Nelson.

Lee and Marner could be money. Marner could do for Lee what he did for Tavares all last season, setting him up for tap-ins around the net.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's going to sign with Toronto anyway and every owner knows it. If you're the owner that offers him 12.5 you're the owner that just screwed Toronto out of two million a year. The owners are tight just like the players are tight.

That’s the best case scenario honestly. He signs a mega offer sheet and Toronto matches.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd do Pulock and two firsts.

giphy.gif

scott99

May 13, 2005
Interesting thread, but I think this has ZERO a chance of happening. Has Lou EVER done anything like this ? Have the Isles ever done anything like this. I just don’t see it happening despite the rumors.

Look at the rumors on June 30th, several big time hockey insiders said it was down to the Isles and Florida on Panarin. Then look at who got him. And less big insiders are saying this MAY happen or it COULD happen. Sounds like a lot of clickbait. I’d be more shocked about this than anything that ever shocked me hockey wise, Gretzky trade being the biggest shocker ever.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Interesting thread, but I think this has ZERO a chance of happening. Has Lou EVER done anything like this ?

Have the Isles ever done anything like this. I just don’t see it happening despite the rumors.

Look at the rumors on June 30th, several big time hockey insiders said it was down to the Isles and Florida on Panarin. Then look at who got him. And less big insiders are saying this MAY happen or it COULD happen. Sounds like a lot of clickbait. I’d be more shocked about this than anything that ever shocked me hockey wise, Gretzky trade being the biggest shocker ever.

The Islanders have never gotten a marquee free agent to sign here ever. The biggest UFA signing in our history is Andrew Ladd, and he's a contract we'd like to dump virtually immediately.

The Islanders have to be creative to get talent coming in because free agency just doesn’t work for us.

Part of the reason for that was our terrible finances, but with the Belmont Arena a go, we don’t have to worry about that anymore.

You offer sheet because the worst possible scenario of offer sheeting Marner is:
A. You don’t have four first rounders (but you have huge star you aren’t going to get drafting 15-30)
B. Toronto matches and you put them so deep into cap hell, they’re not a Cup contender while we stay the same.
C. Marner doesn’t sign the offer sheet, and we stay the same.

There’s not really a downside.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would you do Pulock a first and a second?

The value can be argued but the problem is we can’t afford to lose Pulock. He established himself
As a legit top4 defensman who was a rock defensively and we know he’s skilled offensively. He’s only 24 years old.

He played as our #1 all year last year and didn’t skip a beat all season.

We’d really be hurting ourselves.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The value can be argued but the problem is we can’t afford to lose Pulock. He established himself
As a legit top4 defensman who was a rock defensively and we know he’s skilled offensively. He’s only 24 years old.

He played as our #1 all year last year and didn’t skip a beat all season.

We’d really be hurting ourselves.

The thought of Marner and Barzal, even though both primarily pass, is intoxicating. You have to give up a lot for a player like Marner and we will be stacked for defense in two years. We're not giving up last years draft guys and we shouldn't. I feel like if a deal was to be struck Pulock is the only guy who could make it happen. They don't want to give up one of their best three players for guys who need to develop in minors.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sure, heckle me for not proposing the Hickey and Ho Sang PuPu Platter *

I did not invent this name, but I wish I did.

Giving up our #1D for the opportunity to overpay Marner is short sighted and bad value. RHD's are all the rage in the NHL, they carry extreme value. Pulock turns 25 in October and is just coming into his own, has emerged as the anchor of the defense.

Pulock will be making $2M next season and while he is in line to get paid starting in 2020-21, there have been no signs that he's looking for a Trouba style mega deal.

If Marner is truly available via trade, then Toronto is dealing from weakness. You take advantage in situations like that and that doesn't include sending off your 2nd most valuable asset on the team.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Isn't 4 first round picks rather significant? Hickey is a joke, but Leddy is a decent return for them in the mix of things (with 4 first round picks). The problem with this is the contracts on the horizon (e.g. Barzal). I don't think they have the cash to resign who they need to after throwing 13 mil at Marner. It's an exciting thought, but is it truly in the best interest of the team long-term? I don't believe so.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Does anyone has stat on Marner on the following:

G/A against top contenders
G/A against average teams
G/A against bottom teams
G/A against big physical teams
G/A against speedy teams

How much of his point came from 5 on 5 vs power play?
Is he good at shootout?

Obvious he is a very skilled player and can play well in all 3 zones. He seems to be consistent but he did played with JT and is on PP unit #1 all year. It also helped that they had Reilly on the PP point. Would he has the same production if he plays with less talented players on PP?

Would it be better to deal the 4th 1st rounders or a package of similar players/picks excluding Barzal and Dobson for Patrick Kane if he will waive to come to Isles? Chicago may be interested in starting a fast rebuild (going the Rags route). After all they already won 3 SC not that long ago.

In PK, you get a player with SC experience, extremely clutch and very good at shootout and PP. I would trade anyone on the team except Barzal & Dobson for him. He also is an American pro star who can fill seats in the NY market. Bang on it, I bet there will be other teams eyeing him too also and Isles better get him before another rival Easter team does.

Isles has cap space, good GM/coach, moving to a new area in the near future, better weather than Chicago, good owners, and a lot of prospect/roster players who can be moved. Be creative & start a conversation with the Chicago GM. I do not think in anyway Marner is worth $13M and even at that, Toronto will find a way to match it. Oh I think PK would also love the night life in NY.

For the NHL, a big rivalry between PK and Panarin will be good for the game.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I do believe we can use some offense in the top 6, not sure if we need to give up so much to get it, the teams that played for the cup this past year were defensive 6 strong and Isles are being built that way. Marner would help but enough to overcompensate for what we would give up, probably not.

We can hope and pray that either Beau, MDC, Bellows of Wahlstrom can elevate to top 6 status or sign Dzingel who probably is a top 6 forward... we just need to average .5 more goals per game and it probably has to come from outside, so thinking Marner makes sense but the cost is probably too severe and as others have posted he is more of a set up guy like Barzal and Isles are low on finishers

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Fact of the matter is, Marners agent is negotiating through the media. Seem to think the islanders are a team that would genuinely consider it.

I dont understand how Lou would go from now sharing a lick of information, to now everyone knows his every move and every intention.

End of the day, none of this adds up
1) Lou didnt land Panarin and made two awful moves in the Lee contract and Varlamov contract.

2) They cant afford to give up four firsts as this stage with bad contracts on top of bad contracts.

3) They have their own RFAs coming up in 2020. Once you gave the money and term you did to Lee and Varlamov, in addition to Boychuck, Ladd, Clutterbuck and to an extent Bailey...

Not for nothing, those who are vehemently against trading Pulock, well if we OS Marner, one of Barzal, Pulock or Toews are almost certainly gone.

It's not like once you give up four firsts you can even trade away a bad contract with a pick e.g. the way the Leafs did with PM to the Canes.

This would be an awful business move at this point.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Get the proven, bonafide NHL player now while you are coming off a competitive season to get better. Live in the moment and try to win with what you know you have. I’m tired off this “but what about the future prospects??” nonsense, that we’ve been doing for 20 years. If having Marner and being super competitive for ~5 years means a tough few years after, I think it’s worth it.

All that being said, I think it’s about a 7% change of happening

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad