Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Continuing the excellence of Tim Murray and Peter Chiarelli.
At least Chiarelli got them for 8 years, I guess? :laugh:

At this point, I would just like a resolution to this. As much as I love seeing Toronto fans squirm, it's not funny anymore. Everything is on hold with all of the big RFA's waiting on Marner.

Unfortunately, this seems like it's going to last all summer.
Yeah, that sucks, but I'm not ready to let it go - they're too entertaining for their own sake.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Personally, as much as getting Marner would be awesome, I really don't want to lose 4 1sts. Not to mention, even moving Leddy and then LTIRing Ladd, the isles would be close to the cap if they offered 12-12.5 AAV for Marner. Barzal, Pulock, and Toews will be due raises next season and they won't have any money to pay them with.
Plus if the rumors are accurate at Marner only wanting a 3 year deal, no way do I cough up 4 firsts and all that dough for that kinda term. Gotta be 5 years minimum, really pushing for 6 or 7.
Anybody else worried all this RFA antics will influence what Barzal does next season. Point, Connor, Laine, Marner, Provorov, Aho all high profile RFA's that did not sign an earlier extension and are now 6 days into July with pretty much no news on any of them minus the OS that Montreal made and the Canes matched? Before Nylander, I felt like a lot of the very talented young guys signed early extensions. Only in the last season or 2 are these RFAs getting massive money

the sal cap has barely gone up yet theres new benchmarks for certain calibre of player but its still to be determined who gets squeezed in the new market .Nelson , Lee , Hayes type of player getting 6-7 mil per didnt get squeezed ; they pretty much helped set new benchmark for the 45-70 point forward hitting ufa at 27-28 who used to get between 4-5.75 .

GiveYourHeadaShake

Apr 6, 2011
Marner is a wonderful hockey player. But you win in the NHL by having many players on your roster at below market value (or a goalie standing on his head, which you cannot plan on). Marner on an offer sheet at $10.5 or $11 is market value. He is not worth more. Crosby is worth $15,000,000? McDavid the same? McKinnon, maybe? Competent management can fill a roster to the cap with market value players. The way to win is with value players on the roster substantively below market. Which is usually entry level studs. 4 first rounders, even if none is Marner good, are all likely to be below market value for several years. Plus you have $11 million you didn't spend on Marner, to buy other shiny toys in free agency. This is why a whole bunch of pretty smart GM's, (and even the dumb ones) never do 4 1st round picks offer sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad