Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Actually it really is not about the money I think it is term. Marner wants a contract similar to what Matthews got - 5 yr with maybe 1M per yr less. TML wants to lock him up for 8 years like Carolina initially wanted to with Aho but could no longer because of the Habs offer sheet.

The offer sheet actually did the player a big favor. It could actually pave the way for the UFA signing down the road. You do a player a favor and maybe down the road he will play for your team. Of course at the same time you probably burn the bridge with the team you just contest with the offer sheet. Losing 4 1st could be heavy as there are two really good draft years coming up. Habs can offer to do that as they have accumulated quite a bit of draft picks for the next two years. If Isles is going after Marner then they need to move some roster players or prospects for multiple 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2020/2023.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When I see it, I'll believe it. But there is a lot of noise the Isles are the team that is going to tender Marner an offer sheet. Sleepy Friday has suddenly awoken my Isles friends.

To add to Pagnotta. Here is the latest.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I want to see how he plays with other NON-gifted players. where Patty Kane can drive the play as a winger..I am not convinced yet that Marner can. Marner is a fancy Bailey

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
What does offer sheeting Marner do to Barzal's next contract, folks? I don't like it. He's a winger that's gonna set back our prospect depth for quite a while. I'd rather work out the trade with the Leafs, if this were semi-real.

Reactions: Olliemets

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I want to see how he plays with other NON-gifted players. where Patty Kane can drive the play as a winger..I am not convinced yet that Marner can. Marner is a fancy Bailey

Kadri had back to back 32 goal seasons playing with Marner, 16 this year being bumped down to the 3rd line

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'd love for us to get him, great player. He could push Lee to some new heights, and takes some pressure off Barzal. Imagine Mitch Marner feeding Bellows and Wahlstrom :o

What does offer sheeting Marner do to Barzal's next contract, folks? I don't like it. He's a winger that's gonna set back our prospect depth for quite a while. I'd rather work out the trade with the Leafs, if this were semi-real.

I don't think it actually affects it. We can move out other money to make room for these two.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I don't want to do it, tempting as it is. We need to re-sign our own guy next year than some. With the Org in capable hands, I'd rather build from bottom up. Losing 4 firsts over 4 years works against that.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

We would have to part ways with some of: Ladd, Boychuck, Clutterbuck, Komarov

It would be sad to see those guys go, but somehow I tend to think we could manage if it meant adding Marner..

Reactions: PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We would have to part ways with some of: Ladd, Boychuck, Clutterbuck, Komarov

It would be sad to see those guys go, but somehow I tend to think we could manage if it meant adding Marner..
I’d only miss Boychuk.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

Beau bellow holmstrom and wahl id think long and hard about.

I think Beavillier, Bellows, Holmstrom and Wahlstrom is a no brainer for a 90+ point player who is the same age as Barzal. Imagine those 2 coming down on the other teams defense every other shift for the next 8 years. Out of that list, Barzla is the only big impact guy in the NHL.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be all for this. As long as we sign Barzal. The next 5-7 years with Barzal and Marner spearheading the core. You would have 2 elite offensive drivers on 2 lines for their primes. It would make the Isles contenders with their Defence as soon as next season. 4 first rd picks with the Isles making the playoffs, and really they should if you add Marner to the #1GA team in the NHL would be 20+31 picks. Not a big price when you look at how first rd picks were traded for 600K of capspace. I would be all for this. But a lot of things have to happen for it to take place. Namely presenting an offer, player signing it, and team not matching it. None are sure things.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think Beavillier, Bellows, Holmstrom and Wahlstrom is a no brainer for a 90+ point player who is the same age as Barzal. Imagine those 2 coming down on the other teams defense every other shift for the next 8 years. Out of that list, Barzla is the only big impact guy in the NHL.

Unfortunately, many people are failing to see the forest through the trees on this one. 12.6 for Marner, allegedly. And what does Barzal get 13? Very shortly you will have 25 million tied up in 2 players. Who here thinks Barzal is going to take a pay cut? I don't.

Good drafting of 1st rounders gives you cost controlled assets for significant amount of time. One or two of those 4 1st rounders could be another Barzal? I would not be risking that.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Unfortunately, many people are failing to see the forest through the trees on this one. 12.6 for Marner, allegedly. And what does Barzal get 13? Very shortly you will have 25 million tied up in 2 players. Who here thinks Barzal is going to take a pay cut? I don't.

Good drafting of 1st rounders gives you cost controlled assets for significant amount of time. One or two of those 4 1st rounders could be another Barzal? I would not be risking that.

If you draft another Barzal, wouldn't you have to pay him $11m too and then you have $25m tied up in two players again?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I dont know how it would happen, but somehow isles should have Marner and Leafs should have Pulock

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

last we looked Barzal got 62 points last year. If he scores 80-90 plus plus this year then the Isles will have to Pony up and figure it out. If anything this is making a potentially dull July fairly interesting.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
last we looked Barzal got 62 points last year. If he scores 80-90 plus plus this year then the Isles will have to Pony up and figure it out. If anything this is making a potentially dull July fairly interesting.

I agree it makes it interesting. I'd be all for it if they didn't sign one of Lee, Eberle, or Nelson. Throw in Marner at 12.5 and Barzal at 12.5 next year. They would have 43.5 million tied up in those 5 guys.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As per the poll... Is Marner worth four first rounders?

Yes.

Is it wise/worth offer sheeting him?

Not so sure.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I dont know how it would happen, but somehow isles should have Marner and Leafs should have Pulock

I’d personally value Pulock at about a (1/2 to 2/3) of Marner’s value. I’d say closer to 2/3rds. So you would have to make the difference from there.

@Bones45 main man Bailey has to be included. Since the Isles will need cap space and Toronto will need to make up the offense on Tavares wing.

Then the usual prospect/ young player. Finally a 1st round sweetener.

Leddy has to be moved at some point to recoup a pick and salary. The same with Hickey.

CBA stoppage and expansion draft will be used as further opportunities to move vets to cover salary costs.

EDIT: at least that’s one of the only ways I could see it working out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad