Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
They still need to move contracts if we offersheet him at 10.5m. LTIR means shit until 2nd day of season. You need to reach min number on roster you can't demote 10% of your team to start the season.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
So after signing Kerfoot and Ceci today Leafs are back down under $4M in cap space as per cap friendly without singing Marner yet. All but one of their D is a free agent next year.. Will they be able to free up enough room to sign Marner? Not sure what they are doing with their cap management.. still seems to be a bit of a mess.
LTIR

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
If you offer sheeted marner and he accepted it resulting in the leafs getting NYI’s first round pick for four years then how would the leafs be in cap problems resulting in losing a first round pick since they don’t have to sign marner?

Literally makes no sense.

I get the point to make the leafs top heavy if marner accepted the offer sheet.
You sheet him at 10.5 till his first UFA year

Reactions: PWJunior

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
You sheet him at 10.5 till his first UFA year

Even if you offer sheeted him and he signed for 1$ how would that correlate to the leafs having cap problems resulting in giving up a first round pick? If marner leaves there is no cap problems. If marner signs there is enough room for him but it’s tight. The only scenario that would hurt the leafs if NYI offer sheeted a big number and the leafs matched it. If I’m missing something please let me know.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Even if you offer sheeted him and he signed for 1$ how would that correlate to the leafs having cap problems resulting in giving up a first round pick? If marner leaves there is no cap problems. If marner signs there is enough room for him but it’s tight. The only scenario that would hurt the leafs if NYI offer sheeted a big number and the leafs matched it. If I’m missing something please let me know.
The ability to add numbers

Reactions: PWJunior

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
The ability to add numbers

Your right! Im surprised I graduated university and have a job in finance since I can’t add numbers. O well back to digging holes.

You haven’t answered anything regarding how the leafs would lose 1/4 of their first round picks that we obtained from NYI for offer sheeting Marner?

It seems that you think the leafs will have cap problems resulting in losing assets because we got OS compensation for marner? Do you think the leafs still pay his salary and he plays for NYI? Or is it magic?

Reactions: IODCPiper

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Your right! Im surprised I graduated university and have a job in finance since I can’t add numbers. O well back to digging holes.

You haven’t answered anything regarding how the leafs would lose 1/4 of their first round picks that we obtained from NYI for offer sheeting Marner?

It seems that you think the leafs will have cap problems resulting in losing assets because we got OS compensation for marner? Do you think the leafs still pay his salary and he plays for NYI? Or is it magic?

I never said they would lol. I only stated they still need to move money if they want to match 10.5m

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I never said they would lol. I only stated they still need to move money if they want to match 10.5m

Sorry I assumed it was you because the original guy never replied. @KevFu since it was you who brought up the idea can you answer the question.

How would the leafs lose 1/4 of their first round picks from NYI for offer sheeting marner due to not being cap compliant?

Cheers.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Sorry I assumed it was you because the original guy never replied. @KevFu since it was you who brought up the idea can you answer the question.

How would the leafs lose 1/4 of their first round picks from NYI for offer sheeting marner due to not being cap compliant?

Cheers.

I have never heard of such a thing. They just couldn't match till they got under.

Reactions: Eye Test

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Cheers.

I am so sick and tired of this whole '4 1sts' chest thumping. No one if O/S'ing him at that level. With the Aho and Meier deals, it isn't happening. Enough!

Go back to your own board.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I am so sick and tired of this whole '4 1sts' chest thumping. No one if O/S'ing him at that level. With the Aho and Meier deals, it isn't happening. Enough!

Go back to your own board.

This is probably the most random post I’ve ever seen on here.

1. The post is about marner(leafs player)
2. Who’s chest thumping 4 1sts?
3. I never addressed you once
4. I never mentioned anything about anything besides one question, “how would the leafs lose a first round pick if marner accepted an offer sheet?” Because one of the NYI fans had mentioned it.
5. Who are you to tell me where to go?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
They still need to move contracts if we offersheet him at 10.5m. LTIR means **** until 2nd day of season. You need to reach min number on roster you can't demote 10% of your team to start the season.

LTIR is applicable over the off-season, happened like 2 years ago iirc and the league deputy confirmed it was legal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LTIR is applicable over the off-season, happened like 2 years ago iirc and the league deputy confirmed it was legal.
Kyle Dumbass will eventually sign Marner, he will cave to Marner and Ferris when the pressure of not signing him before the season builds. He will make whatever cap room available to make this happen. This I am sure of.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale

You need to be compliant on day one. LTIR won't do that. You can't demote all ahl people. You need to be at a legal number of roster players on day one while under cap. LTIR is meaningless

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
This is probably the most random post I’ve ever seen on here.

1. The post is about marner(leafs player)
2. Who’s chest thumping 4 1sts?
3. I never addressed you once
4. I never mentioned anything about anything besides one question, “how would the leafs lose a first round pick if marner accepted an offer sheet?” Because one of the NYI fans had mentioned it.
5. Who are you to tell me where to go?
How is it that if you ask about the weather on the Leaf's board the Troll Stomper throws points at you like they're confetti, but trolls can come here from the TOR board and nothing happens?

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
How is it that if you ask about the weather on the Leaf's board the Troll Stomper throws points at you like they're confetti, but trolls can come here from the TOR board and nothing happens?
Who’s a troll?

Troll stomper is to sensitive I agree.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I thought there was a 10% cap cushion that existed until the season started, at which point you can start putting your injured players on LTIR and getting the overage allowance.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

If those 4 players were Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bellows, and Holmstrom I would trade them for Marner because I don't think any of the 4 of them are going to be elite...And Marner is.

In fact I could argue that Bellows isn't going to be an NHLer and that Wahlstrom won't be that guaranteed top-6 scoring winger we thought he would be. Beauvillier I like a lot and he could be a top-6 winger, but no guarantees there. And Holmstrom...Who knows?

That's a lot of question marks for a guy who not only isn't a question mark, but is one of the best players in the world. An easy 1st line winger to slot next to Barzal - And they they will both make each other better.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If you offer sheeted marner and he accepted it resulting in the leafs getting NYI’s first round pick for four years then how would the leafs be in cap problems resulting in losing a first round pick since they don’t have to sign marner?

Literally makes no sense.

I get the point to make the leafs top heavy if marner accepted the offer sheet.

Well, I wrote that before their Colorado trade, so they've gotten a little cap relief since, but the gist of it is that they'd have to replace Marner with someone, and they lacked adequate space for a veteran player who isn't replacement level.

So their options are: would be:
- Not match, lose one of your best players weakening the team and not be that good at hockey but have the ammo to rebuild with with eight 1sts in 4 years;
- Match Marner and have to strip the team down of depth to be cap compliant. making them worse.

- Not match, but sign someone to replace him, which makes you not cap compliant, which costs you $5 million penalty and losing a draft pick (Which actually would be the SMART THING for them to do, because what's the harm in losing a 1st rounder when you have SEVEN MORE in the next four years?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad