Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Get the proven, bonafide NHL player now while you are coming off a competitive season to get better. Live in the moment and try to win with what you know you have. I’m tired off this “but what about the future prospects??” nonsense, that we’ve been doing for 20 years. If having Marner and being super competitive for ~5 years means a tough few years after, I think it’s worth it.

All that being said, I think it’s about a 7% change of happening
That's the exact logic that will cost the team massively. This isnt a all in for the cup move, this could absolutely hamper the team moving forward.

Funny what happens that the reason Marner is even really available at this point, is the same thing Islanders fans are willing to do to their own team.

If lou offer sheeted Marner right after the Panarin situation than it might be different. However, giving out that anchor to Lee and that absolute joke to Varlamov, and having our own to resign...

Like another poster mentioned, would be better to make four separate moves with those picks than than use them all at once and handicap this team moving forward.

Reactions: Islanders4Cups

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Personally, as much as getting Marner would be awesome, I really don't want to lose 4 1sts. Not to mention, even moving Leddy and then LTIRing Ladd, the isles would be close to the cap if they offered 12-12.5 AAV for Marner. Barzal, Pulock, and Toews will be due raises next season and they won't have any money to pay them with.
Plus if the rumors are accurate at Marner only wanting a 3 year deal, no way do I cough up 4 firsts and all that dough for that kinda term. Gotta be 5 years minimum, really pushing for 6 or 7.
Anybody else worried all this RFA antics will influence what Barzal does next season. Point, Connor, Laine, Marner, Provorov, Aho all high profile RFA's that did not sign an earlier extension and are now 6 days into July with pretty much no news on any of them minus the OS that Montreal made and the Canes matched? Before Nylander, I felt like a lot of the very talented young guys signed early extensions. Only in the last season or 2 are these RFAs getting massive money

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Personally, as much as getting Marner would be awesome, I really don't want to lose 4 1sts. Not to mention, even moving Leddy and then LTIRing Ladd, the isles would be close to the cap if they offered 12-12.5 AAV for Marner. Barzal, Pulock, and Toews will be due raises next season and they won't have any money to pay them with.
Plus if the rumors are accurate at Marner only wanting a 3 year deal, no way do I cough up 4 firsts and all that dough for that kinda term. Gotta be 5 years minimum, really pushing for 6 or 7.
Anybody else worried all this RFA antics will influence what Barzal does next season. Point, Connor, Laine, Marner, Provorov, Aho all high profile RFA's that did not sign an earlier extension and are now 6 days into July with pretty much no news on any of them minus the OS that Montreal made and the Canes matched? Before Nylander, I felt like a lot of the very talented young guys signed early extensions. Only in the last season or 2 are these RFAs getting massive money
You can blame Kyle Dumbass for it

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
So after yesterday's firestorm transitioned to complete silence today (unless I missed something), I'm guessing they sent him an offer sheet and he declined?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I thought all along the Isles biggest problem is the lack of that NHL elite right hand shot. So would Marner solve that?

Is there an elite RH shot out there besides Marner who Isles may be be able to go after via trade or even next summer? Does Isles have one within their system?

PP is definitely an issue with Isles and Clutterbuck is not the answer to that. I think Marner is better known for his play making rather than shot. Even with him on Isles PP, they may just end up with a lot of passing without the finish. Isles need to look for a shooter not another passer.

If you are going to give up 4 1st, you may just be able to trade for someone who may have a shot like that somewhere in NHL or even possible within the next two draft pick year.

The only other option is put Ryan Pulock in the forward position instead of the point during PP. Within range his shot could be lethal.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I thought all along the Isles biggest problem is the lack of that NHL elite right hand shot. So would Marner solve that?

Is there an elite RH shot out there besides Marner who Isles may be be able to go after via trade or even next summer? Does Isles have one within their system?

Oliver Wahlstrom is our best hope within the organization at filling that role

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
So after yesterday's firestorm transitioned to complete silence today (unless I missed something), I'm guessing they sent him an offer sheet and he declined?

Yeah his dad wanted a 2.5 year offer-sheet so Marner could be a free agent again mid-season, Mitch needed to be named team captain, with statues of him at both of our venues before training camp, and for us to unretire Bossy's number so he could wear it..

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Depends on how many years he signs for. 3 years? No. 5-6? Yes. Hopefully next 1st’s will be late in the round anyways where it’s a crapshoot

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have a feeling this Marner thing is going to drag on for a while. It seems quite obvious to me that Marner and his camp want to stay in Toronto, he just wants to get the same money and thus respect that Matthews gets.

Does it bother anyone else that his dad Paul Marner is another Carl Lindros and Ferris is a wannabe Scott Boras? Ferris also represented Athanasiou when he held out and eventually got like $1.4M for 1 year. WTF?

Marner is fantastic talent and we could surely use him, but I don't think the drama and baggage that come with him are worth it. On the Crazy-Hot Matrix, Marner is like an 8.5 hot and 25 crazy considering you get his dad and Ferris with him.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I have a feeling this Marner thing is going to drag on for a while. It seems quite obvious to me that Marner and his camp want to stay in Toronto, he just wants to get the same money and thus respect that Matthews gets.

Does it bother anyone else that his dad Paul Marner is another Carl Lindros and Ferris is a wannabe Scott Boras? Ferris also represented Athanasiou when he held out and eventually got like $1.4M for 1 year. WTF?

Marner is fantastic talent and we could surely use him, but I don't think the drama and baggage that come with him are worth it. On the Crazy-Hot Matrix, Marner is like an 8.5 hot and 25 crazy considering you get his dad and Ferris with him.

Kinda get the feeling that Mitch Marner is gonna be watching opening night from his couch... Toronto held the line on Nylander, no reason to believe they won't do the same to Marner..

What I could see transpiring is that they invited us to write up the offer sheet, didn't actually sign it, but then waived it in front of Dubas' face saying "give us this money and term" and started the crap-storm with a few low-level writers a few days ago (while not actually embarrassing the big name guys) by leaking an offer-sheet was received..

Reactions: PWJunior

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
he's got to give the isles something back ; heck they're losing 4 x 1sts so give us 7 x 12.5/13.0 since they'd be making a pretty big commit ; nevermind this 3-5 year crap

Reactions: IODCPiper

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site

Completely agree. Well said.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
83080B29-6B0F-4E25-88A6-58C663D17747.jpeg

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

We can't just "LTIR Ladd"...

The 7 highest contracts on each NHL team are insured by the league, and so placing Ladd on LTIR must be approved by NHL doctors.. not the Islanders'..

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
We can't just "LTIR Ladd"...

The 7 highest contracts on each NHL team are insured by the league, and so placing Ladd on LTIR must be approved by NHL doctors.. not the Islanders'..
Well if that's the case, that makes my point even more valid. Isles don't have the money give Marner a 12 mil a year contract. We would be in the same spot the leafs are next year we Barzal, Pulock, and Toews have to get paid

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
It's interesting because Marner and Barzal is a fair comparable. So if Marner gets $12m this year, Barzal would seek $12m next year. That would wrap $24m in two players when we'd have to re-sign at least Noah Dobson in 3 or 4 years. And this is the only reason why I don't want to acquire Mitch Marner. He's definitely worth 4 1st round picks, but he would throw off this team's salary structure. I do think that Oliver Wahlstrom can be 90% of the player Marner is and I think Bellows can be in that same ballpark. So, as much as I'd love Marner, acquiring would cause more problems than it would solve.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I think the league will rethink this Offersheet compensation thing ,like cut it in half...

Last edited by a moderator:

skyhigh

Jun 27, 2017
I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

adding Wahlstrom and Dobson isn't a fair point since they're both top 15 picks which we likely wouldn't have in the 4 years we'd be forfeiting picks because we'd be in the playoffs making runs

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Too much of an injury risk for 4 picks, said player better play in at least 350 games, and nobody can guarantee that ;)

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Offersheet Marner and you'll establish a new salary level that other players will use as a benchmark in the future. Owners know he's not leaving Toronto so they might as well let the Leafs sign him for ten instead of twelve. The owners frat is just as strong as the players frat.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Offersheet Marner and you'll establish a new salary level that other players will use as a benchmark in the future. Owners know he's not leaving Toronto so they might as well let the Leafs sign him for ten instead of twelve. The owners frat is just as strong as the players frat.

At this point, I would just like a resolution to this. As much as I love seeing Toronto fans squirm, it's not funny anymore. Everything is on hold with all of the big RFA's waiting on Marner.

Unfortunately, this seems like it's going to last all summer.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad