Speculation: Is Marner worth four 1st rounders now?

Would you be OK with giving four 1st rounders for Marner?

• Total voters

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There are two reasons Marner seems to have a problem with the Leafs:

He apparently felt he deserved more ice time in his rookie year and he felt that he should have gotten the same bonuses in his ELC as Matthews.

Lou signed him to that ELC. There is less than a 1% chance of him signing an offer sheet from Lou unless you guys are looking to pay him max for 7 years.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
There are two reasons Marner seems to have a problem with the Leafs:

He apparently felt he deserved more ice time in his rookie year and he felt that he should have gotten the same bonuses in his ELC as Matthews.

Lou signed him to that ELC. There is less than a 1% chance of him signing an offer sheet from Lou unless you guys are looking to pay him max for 7 years.

Isles ownership is desperate to land a star - it's highly doubtful, but I could see them offering stupid money to Marner after striking out on Panarin. There is potential for a pissing contest with the NYR kicking ass this off season.

Reactions: ekill08x

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
So you guys saying yes are either kidding or a Leafs fan. Here the Isles cannot sign an elite UFA and you would trade away just about the only way to bring in potential elite talent for the next 4 years just before they open their new building. That is absolutely crazy and LL would never do it.

Reactions: BKIsles

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So you guys saying yes are either kidding or a Leafs fan. Here the Isles cannot sign an elite UFA and you would trade away just about the only way to bring in potential elite talent for the next 4 years just before they open their new building. That is absolutely crazy and LL would never do it.

Marner is elite talent or close to it. Isles have drafted one elite talent in the last decade, named Matt Barzal - if their goal is to be competitive , hoping to draft the next superstar with a 23OA pick is extremely wishful thinking. I still think the whole Marner signs an offer sheet with NYI is mostly BS and fanbase fantasy but I wouldn't upset if it happened.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Marner is elite talent or close to it. Isles have drafted one elite talent in the last decade, named Matt Barzal - if their goal is to be competitive , hoping to draft the next superstar with a 23OA pick is extremely wishful thinking. I still think the whole Marner signs an offer sheet with NYI is mostly BS and fanbase fantasy but I wouldn't upset if it happened.

I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I wouldn’t trade 4 of these guys combined for him in hindsight, would you?

Matt Barzal
Anthony Beauvillier
Kieffer Bellows
Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson
Simon Holmstrom

Only one of those guys has been an impact player in the NHL. I said if we plan on being competitive, implying that our 1st round picks would not be in top-15 (excluding Dobson and Wahlstrom from your list) - Would I trade Beauvillier + Holmstrom + Bellows + Another question mark for Marner? I'd have to sleep on it.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Yeah but you can’t skip or sleep on it. You trade the picks and they go to the Leafs of all places.

The Isles could miss out on the playoffs and win the draft say like the Devils did and look who fell into the Devils lap?

If the Isles could cherry pick elite talent like the Rag$ or Leafs, it would be less risky, but they cannot. I can see a first rounder + 1 Top prospect like Dobson, but 4 first rounders would set this franchise back a decade.

The first round is the only way this team is going to get better.

Reactions: TML1990

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I’d do it, then trade Leddy for a first

Clearly we have no means to get big names to come here without giving up significant assets, so may as well do it for a phenomenal young winger who would fit perfectly on this team

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

I was looking at it from the perspective of the team giving up the firsts and I was assuming it's a playoff team with a long window looking to add mariner.

Youd be lucky to get 1 marner with ten 1sts if you draft in the late first

Last edited:
Reactions: Twowingcantfly

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Agree 100%. Today was a reality check. Doesn’t matter who the coach or GM is, nobody wants to be an islander who isn’t drafted here. This is the only way we have a shot. Drafting and trading. I think last years overachieving delayed the inevitability that this team needs to retool. The division got better and we got worse.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad