Is Andreas Johnsson our new JVR

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson is not a JVR replacement. Full stop. 30/30 guys cannot be replaced by a kid who hasn't played a meaningful NHL game.

He can be himself, though, which is a defensively responsible scoring option on the LW.

Johnsson has 17 points in his last 8 games (+21 for the season) and is dominating the AHL the same way Nylander and Brown did a couple years ago. Last year Matthews, Marner, Nylander & Brown could have each replaced a JVR, two of which hadn't played a NHL game, 2 others had only 28 games between them. Oh and Aaltonen is outperforming Bozak on his year in the AHL at the same age. These two are ready to be promoted.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If we can get a very solid guy who was a 7th rounder, we are in very good shape...

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Johnsson has 17 points in his last 8 games (+21 for the season) and is dominating the AHL the same way Nylander and Brown did a couple years ago. Last year Matthews, Marner, Nylander & Brown could have each replaced a JVR, two of which hadn't played a NHL game, 2 others had only 28 games between them. Oh and Aaltonen is outperforming Bozak on his year in the AHL at the same age. These two are ready to be promoted.

If you're suggesting that because Nylander and Marner are special, and scrored the way they did last year as rookies, then Johnsson can therefore just step in and do the same, i'm not qualifying that with much.

I don't really have to explain why that logic is poor, right?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What's stopping him, besides the
If you're suggesting that because Nylander and Marner are special, and scrored the way they did last year as rookies, then Johnsson can therefore just step in and do the same, i'm not qualifying that with much.

I don't really have to explain why that logic is poor, right?

What's stopping him from doing well with the Leafs next year? How is suggesting a young player totally dominating the AHL in his second season both offensively and defensively doing OK as a rookie the following year in the NHL constitute poor logic?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
What's stopping him, besides the

What's stopping him from doing well with the Leafs next year? How is suggesting a young player totally dominating the AHL in his second season both offensively and defensively doing OK as a rookie the following year in the NHL constitute poor logic?

You're using Marner and Nylander as comparables, and he doesn't compare. He out-works his talent level, which is great, but he's not the elite level talents of those two, and to expect him to step into the best league in the world and adjust like they did is unrealistic.

Not trying to be a dick, it was just a bad way of laying out your point. I do think he's going to be a good one, though.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You're using Marner and Nylander as comparables, and he doesn't compare. He out-works his talent level, which is great, but he's not the elite level talents of those two, and to expect him to step into the best league in the world and adjust like they did is unrealistic.

Not trying to be a dick, it was just a bad way of laying out your point. I do think he's going to be a good one, though.

What part of "Matthews, Marner, Nylander & ***BROWN***" were you unable to parse. Do you have trouble finishing reading sentences?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I really don't think last year is going to be a model for this team moving forward. Had a record amount of rookies in the lineup, who over-performed.

If you think that will be the norm moving forward, that's on you.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I really don't think last year is going to be a model for this team moving forward. Had a record amount of rookies in the lineup, who over-performed.

If you think that will be the norm moving forward, that's on you.

If they were over-performing last year are they now over-over performing. Or are they just good players, as their stats before being promoted to the team suggested?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If they were over-performing last year are they now over-over performing. Or are they just good players, as their stats before being promoted to the team suggested?

They are elite level talents. 3 rookies on the same team with 60+ pts is so far from the norm.

Johnsson is not making that impact. Screenshot this post, and we can chat next year.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
As of right now, no prospect we have can replace what JVR does for atleast 2 to 3 years.
Guys like Kapanen and Johnsson may not match the offense(no guarantee though) but they bring a much more well-rounded game. It’s possible that replacing JVR with one of them is a net benefit.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Guys like Kapanen and Johnsson may not match the offense(no guarantee though) but they bring a much more well-rounded game. It’s possible that replacing JVR with one of them is a net benefit.

Possible, but not likely.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
We can probably expect less GF and less GA next year. Thats true.

I cant see kapanen pulling in offensive numbers like JVR. I hope I'm wrong but i just dont see it.

If he plays better defensively and can put up 30-40 points next year i would consider that a win.

Reactions: Prince N

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Johnsson might very well be 1 of the bargain chips Lou Lam is willing to use to upgrade this team for the playoffs..

That seems more likely than thinking he is JVR replacement next year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They are elite level talents. 3 rookies on the same team with 60+ pts is so far from the norm.

Johnsson is not making that impact. Screenshot this post, and we can chat next year.

The reason why Johnsson wouldn't make an impact is if he is permanently stuck with a pair of 4th line plugs and limited to the 5 minutes a night that Kapanen, Soshnikov and Leivo have been for the most part over the past 2 years.

Despite your claims, I never stated Johnsson was likely to have a 60pt rookie season. I just suggested he is a good player who will likely make a good transition from a dominant offensive season in AHL as a 23 year old to the NHL. I don't think a rookie season like Brown's (or better) is out of question if he isn't relegated to a permanent place on 4th line with the likes of players of Martin and Moore's caliber. As we all have all amply seen, Neither of our 60pt rookies when they were dumped in the 4th line doghouse with the plugs put up the numbers they put up playing with actually capable players who can pass and score.

Or do you think that was just a coincidence Marner and Nylander didn't burn down the house when partnered with the likes of Martin and Moore (or the other plug center's we've had on the 4th line over the past 2 years)? Do you actually think that they would be having 60pt seasons on the 4th line? We've also seen that when players like Leivo and Kapanen aren't chained to plugs and get to play more than 5-8 minutes a game they put up decent numbers too.

Ideally, JVR, Bozak, Komarov and Moore are let go so our highly skilled younger players are given similar opportunities to what Brown, Hyman, Nylander and Marner have been given: the opportunity to use their skills where they are most likely to succeed. But sure, If you have older declining or plateaued players with limited skillsets blocking the likes of Johnsson, Aaltonen, Grunstrom etc. from making an impact, no, they won't, because they aren't being allowed to.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Johnsson might very well be 1 of the bargain chips Lou Lam is willing to use to upgrade this team for the playoffs..

That seems more likely than thinking he is JVR replacement next year.

I'd rather move Leivo than Johnsson. Johnsson has higher upside 100%

It can't be for a rental

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Some are so quick to dismiss Leivo but Johnsoon, he's a sure thing :)
You have a good point. One thing to consider though, AJ kills penalties and plays PP. He's an all situation guy. Josh Leivo is a solid top 6 winger that can play up and down the lineup but he is very one dimensional. JVR is also very one dimensional as a W. If we were to replace him, I would much rather have another toolsy guy in there like AJ who will lighten the load from the other role players and it will also allow him to pick up some extra playing time regardless of where in the lineup he plays.

Leivo/ JVR are guys who will never see the ice if we are defending the lead. These past 10 games JVRs minutes have gone down drastically and it isn't all Babs trying to phase him out. Majority of it has to do with us protecting leads. I don't know how involved a guy can get in the game while sitting on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad