Is Andreas Johnsson our new JVR

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
AHL Age 19 (reg season and playoffs)

Kappy: 58gms, 12gls, 33pts (82gms, 17gls, 47pts)
Brown: ---
Leipsic: ---
Leivo: 7gms, 0gls, 3pts (82gms, 0gls, 35pts)
Johnsson: ----
Sosh: ---

AHL Age 20

Kappy: 52gms, 20gls, 51pts (82gms, 32gls, 81pts)
Brown: 81gms, 22gls, 65pts (82gms, 22gls, 66pts)
Leipsic: 79gms, 15gls, 57pts (82gms, 16gls, 59pts)
Leivo: 71gms, 26gls, 50pts (82gms, 30gls, 58pts)
Johnsson: ---

AHL Age 21

Kappy: 28gms, 12gls, 24pts (82gms, 35gls, 70pts)
Brown: 49gms, 18gls, 38pts (82gms, 30gls, 64pts)
Leipsic: 78gms, 22gls, 58pts (82gms, 23gls, 61pts)
Leivo: 56gms, 12gls, 38pts (82gms, 18gls, 56pts)
Johnsson: 2gms, 0gls, 0pts (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)

AHL Age 22

Kappy: ---
Leipsic: 60gms, 22gls, 56pts (82gms, 30gls, 77pts)
Leivo: 66gms, 21gls, 60pts (82gms, 26gls, 75pts)
Johnsson: 86gms, 26gls, 53pts (82gms, 25gls, 51pts)
Sosh: 63gms, 23gls, 35pts (82gms, 30gls, 46pts)

AHL Age 23

Kapanen: ---
Leipsic: ----
Leivo: 5gms, 0gls, 0pts (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)
Johnsson: 44gms, 22gls, 42pts (82gms, 41gls, 78pts)
Sosh: 6gms, 1gls, 3pts (82gms, 13gls, 41pts)

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Leivo is not a JVR
Johnsson is not a JVR
Bracco is not a JVR

We do not have a JVR replacement.

Is it necessary to replace JvR? I don't think so. JvR does only one thing: he score goals in front of the net, and that's it. He doesn't forecheck, he doesn't backcheck, he doesn't even playing any defense, he is pretty bad along the boards despite his size, and he has a bad cycling game as well.

I know he can score goals, but Babcock wants all of his players to be really good offensively AND defensively, compete every night.

Johnsson might not score 30 goals, but he could be a much more valuable player for the TEAM.

So again, I think it might be a good thing we don't have a JvR replacement, because we have other kind of prospects with a much well rounded game, like Johnsson or Grundström, who can be better fits for this team than JvR.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is it necessary to replace JvR? I don't think so. JvR does only one thing: he score goals in front of the net, and that's it. He doesn't forecheck, he doesn't backcheck, he doesn't even playing any defense, he is pretty bad along the boards despite his size, and he has a bad cycling game as well.

I know he can score goals, but Babcock wants all of his players to be really good offensively AND defensively, compete every night.

Johnsson might not score 30 goals, but he could be a much more valuable player for the TEAM.

So again, I think it might be a good thing we don't have a JvR replacement, because we have other kind of prospects with a much well rounded game, like Johnsson or Grundström, who can be better fits for this team than JvR.

That's the kind of arguments I use to justify trading JVR. Most people don't believe we can actually upgrade after selling right on the TDL day. I know, JVR will get you 30 goals but he may cost you 10 over the season because he doesn't give all the effort he could. Perhaps a 20 pts winger that doesn't have that problem makes it a wash.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I am of the believe that the Leafs could rotate Leivo and Johnsson into that role and the team would not be negatively affected. I do not believe that they would score at the same clip of JVR however I do think both have the potential to be 20 goal scorers. If you get 20g into that winger spot but lose 30g, I think the fact that you do not need to shelter that wing sport as much as you do now for JVR defensively you would be just as good or better as a team overall. I also hope to see Gundstrom and Korshkov come over the NA next year, one of them should be ready for NHL duty soon.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We are still very young as a core. Keeping veterans like JVR for playoff run makes us better this year. Too much unknown tossing a rookie into his place at this point

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s probably loser to a 20-20 guy (hopefully)Nathan a 30-30 but he’s gotten lots of praise for his two way play.

Probably should be in the Leafs lineup already

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Like I said I have never seen him play. The article had me intrigued and rave reviews from Dermott Don't hurt.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
While I like his game, he's quite different than JVR. Also scoring at the AHL level does not guarantee a thing at the NHL level.

Also, its a bit of a ridiculous comparison in terms of size. I saw Andreas the other day, and he is a very small young man. Strongly built, but tiny.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's between him, Grundstrom and maybe Korshkov at next training camp.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I don't know enough about Johnsson to say yay or nay.

We're going to miss JVR when he's gone.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
In that he could possibly fill the role adequately there is a good chance he is. Scoring wise he is no better than Leivo at the same age but he does look like an NHLer to most who have watched him. He isn't a kid so arguably he doesn't have the same ceiling as Kappy for instance, but he has shown development every year which is a key. I am quite surprised we haven't seen him up yet because a promotion and a hot streak could push JVR out the door before the deadline. KAJ could be the new JVR.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Not true at all. Kapanen could be a 50 point scorer with better defense next season.
With increased ice time next season it will be interesting to see if he can do that. He has played great so far, but havent seen anything points wise to make me believe he will be a 50 point player by next season

To my point, kapanen is already on the team. Marleau could replace JVR with that reasoning. Are we still considering kapanen a prospect now? To me he is already on our team and shouldnt be considered a prospect

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We don't have any prospects that we can reliably project to be 30/30 guys.

I think the hope is that ONE of Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrom, etc can become a similar calibre player, though I think they're all more likely to be ~40-45 point guys (and that's only if they turn out), but who are better defensively than JVR. So could help balance out our top 9 a lot better in terms of being difficult to play against and all lines able to score.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Nobody hates JVR's defense and physical play more than me but he makes soft plays seem so dangerous at times with his net front abilities. Definately top 5 in the league in front of the net.

Next year I think we can expect less GF and less GA with the departure of JVR and Bozak (IF they leave)

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I've been keeping a close eye on Johnsson since he came over, as he was always one of those random prospects that seemed to have potential for some reason. He always had the Cammalleri vibe for his shot and puckhandling ability, and it's a pretty good comparison but I honestly believe AJ can be a bit better.

I have a feeling he will be one of those guys who can excel as a pro, as his game is already quite suited for the NHL style. He has the quick hands in tight spaces, a great shot/release, and most importantly he seems to think the game quite well and adapt well.

It's not as easy as some think to find a reliable 30/30 guy, but as some have already said in this thread, AJ's all-around game might make him a useful middle 6 guy next year who can be effective in other ways along with his offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad