Is Andreas Johnsson our new JVR

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We don't have any prospects that we can reliably project to be 30/30 guys.

I think the hope is that ONE of Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrom, etc can become a similar calibre player, though I think they're all more likely to be ~40-45 point guys (and that's only if they turn out), but who are better defensively than JVR. So could help balance out our top 9 a lot better in terms of being difficult to play against and all lines able to score.

That's how I see it. A 200 ft player doesn't have to be a 30-30 guy to equal or surpass JVR's contribution, especially when you consider how the pp time is split for the Leafs forwards. JVR and Boz both get more pp time than Matthews and Nylander by about 20% so this needs to be redistributed anyways. Compared to other clubs Matthews has logged less than half the pp time of Ovechkin and Kessel so it isn't like he and Willie couldn't handle some of the pp time JVR is currently getting.

JVR's ES goal scoring is on a 20 goal goal pace and for comparison Connor Brown scored 17 ES goals last year so it isn't like they have to find a unicorn to fill the hole. Back on the topic of minuytes, Matthews is 42nd in TOI for NHL centers. Kadri and Nylander aren't in the top 140 NHL forwards for ice time. Marner is 183rd. Doesn't it seem like if they just gave their top players the same ice time as a Brayden Point or an Alex Radulov it would be like adding another top player? Babs regularly played Datsyuk and Zetterberg over 20 minutes a night and it worked. You don't actually need 9 high scoring forwards to win.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
is johnsson even good defensively or is that what other leafs fans just blindly say?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Is it necessary to replace JvR? I don't think so. JvR does only one thing: he score goals in front of the net, and that's it. He doesn't forecheck, he doesn't backcheck, he doesn't even playing any defense, he is pretty bad along the boards despite his size, and he has a bad cycling game as well.

I know he can score goals, but Babcock wants all of his players to be really good offensively AND defensively, compete every night.

Johnsson might not score 30 goals, but he could be a much more valuable player for the TEAM.

So again, I think it might be a good thing we don't have a JvR replacement, because we have other kind of prospects with a much well rounded game, like Johnsson or Grundström, who can be better fits for this team than JvR.

Nice buddy. Well said and it hits the nail right on the head

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
His offensive game reminds me of Brad Marchand. I'm obviously not expecting him to be anywhere near as good.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kappy is the JVR replacement, if Johnsson makes it he would be the 4th line replacement for Kapanen.

I think Kappy is the Hyman replacement and Hyman goes to the 4th line. Also to add to that, i think Hyman could put up almost as many points as he does now playing fourth line.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWB

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not looking for a pound for pound, skill for skill exact replacement. Looking for the best overall team balance of skill,speed,200 foot game.
Replacing one player (of the JVR tier) with 2, such as a Kappy-Leivo.
Makes for better balance, better distribution of funds plus no long term comittment.
I like JVR just fine a 4 mil.
I hate him at 6 + long term.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I don't claim to know Johnsson's game, but if he can park himself in front of the net and shovel in rebounds and tip in point shots, then I'm down with him replacing JVR.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Pretty sure Leivo was supposed to be our next JVR in the eyes of the management a year ago. Big body, good hands in close to the net, goal-scorer. But I'm guessing that's changed.

Things to note: Hoping Bracco becomes Kapanen/Brown level (better offensively, worse defensively). Johnsson is a future LW lock for Nylander IF Nylander becomes C.

Hyman - Matthews - Bracco
Brown* - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Jvr's usage by Babs is way down. He does not trust him in close games we are leading. He just might get traded yet.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
jvr is near elite at in close points, sometimes those around the net bang it in, tip, lucky bounce dirty goals can make a difference

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marleau was JVRs short term replacement while Kapanen + Johnsson settle in.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
cant believe people are still selling this kid short every year he has improved since they figured out his asthma issue. he may not be a big body winger like jvr but there is no reason why he cant be a 20 goal guy that plays sound defense and is fast to boot. he may not be a replacement but he sure in hell will get the chance to be in the show.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
With it being UFA payday, JVR is focusing on goals this year. But I do see a decline in his game overall and don't want to sign LT and end up with a Lucic. JVR may only get 20 G next year. Kapanen and Johnsson will help absorb that.

Reactions: glue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad