Is Andreas Johnsson our new JVR

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It used to be Leivo who was supposed to 'fill these holes' (lol), then Kap, and now it's Johnsson. It would be nice if some of this actually happened, but it never does.

I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but the leafs will most likely sign a UFA to replace JVR. The other likely thing is that they sign JVR.

The NHL is not always a smooth running escalator.

They likely don’t have the cap flexibility to give a bigger contract to a UFA winger unless they’re willing to take a 1 year deal.

Management is vlgoing to rely on internal replacements:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
They likely don’t have the cap flexibility to give a bigger contract to a UFA winger unless they’re willing to take a 1 year deal.

Management is vlgoing to rely on internal replacements:

You don't know that. Whoever is available and willing to sign with TOR might be less expensive and not as good as JVR.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You don't know that. Whoever is available and willing to sign with TOR might be less expensive and not as good as JVR.

Sure, but they also have guaranteed less expensive options in house already.

I just have a hard time seeing them going out to buy a UFA vet winger to fill a depth position, especially since the Leafs cap situation will start to get very tight once Matthews signs his new contract.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sure, but they also have guaranteed less expensive options in house already.

I just have a hard time seeing them going out to buy a UFA vet winger to fill a depth position, especially since the Leafs cap situation will start to get very tight once Matthews signs his new contract.

I heard the leafs signed Marleau to a 3 year deal.

;)

Reactions: Its not your fault

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I heard the leafs signed Marleau to a 3 year deal.

;)

Which likely means they won’t be spending money on another UFA winger - ie only so much capspace can be spent on depth wingers, unless it’s a bargain bin signing - and then if that’s the case why wouldn’t management just go with the in-house developed younger player?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Which likely means they won’t be spending money on another UFA winger - ie only so much capspace can be spent on depth wingers, unless it’s a bargain bin signing - and then if that’s the case why wouldn’t management just go with the in-house developed younger player?

No. Many fans didn't expect our Marleau signing for the very reasons you're mentioning: Leivo will be promoted, Kapanen will be promoted, etc.

I would love to see a constant flow of youth taking over other positions, but it doesn't always happen.

For all we know Babcock loves Boz, JVR, Komarov, etc and they all return.

You might be in love with the idea of Johnsson graduating and slotting right in to JVR's old position, but based on what I've seen from Babcock he's not in love with all of our prospects.

What will likely happen is somewhere in between.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Who is that Swede that we have that is a real agitator? I've read he is a lot like Komarov, agitating as heck but has a bit of an offence to his game.
Carl Grundstrom, hes one of those players with a style fans will rally behind. More skilled, I would say more fiery, slightly worse defensively version of Komarov.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No. Many fans didn't expect our Marleau signing for the very reasons you're mentioning: Leivo will be promoted, Kapanen will be promoted, etc.

I would love to see a constant flow of youth taking over other positions, but it doesn't always happen.

For all we know Babcock loves Boz, JVR, Komarov, etc and they all return.

You might be in love with the idea of Johnsson graduating and slotting right in to JVR's old position, but based on what I've seen from Babcock he's not in love with all of our prospects.

What will likely happen is somewhere in between.

Though it’s not just issur of what you or I would prefer, there’s the issue of capspace.

Leafs simply don’t have much flexibility once Matthews and Marner have signed new deals, which hampers their ability to add UFAs this season on multi year contracts (particularly on the wing if they want money to spend elsewhere).

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Though it’s not just issur of what you or I would prefer, there’s the issue of capspace.

Leafs simply don’t have much flexibility once Matthews and Marner have signed new deals, which hampers their ability to add UFAs this season on multi year contracts (particularly on the wing if they want money to spend elsewhere).

I see your point, but until the future happens we don't know who they sign or give big contracts to.

You cannot for a second believe that Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Komarov, Polak, and Moore are all returning. Nor can you think that all are going. 1 or 2 might be signed to a contract.

That's' a lot of bodies to replace. The leafs will definitely sign a UFA or 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I see your point, but until the future happens we don't know who they sign or give big contracts to.

You cannot for a second believe that Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Komarov, Polak, and Moore are all returning. Nor can you think that all are going. 1 or 2 might be signed to a contract.

That's's a lot of bodies to replace. The leafs will definitely sign a UFA or 2.

Oh I think they’ll be signing UFAs, I’m just not sure they’ll be wingers.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Carl Grundstrom, hes one of those players with a style fans will rally behind. More skilled, I would say more fiery, slightly worse defensively version of Komarov.

I think he's similar to Komarov v.1.0
Komarov v1.1 is excellent defensively but no longer hit, scores or makes plays. He's looking at a reduced role/salary if he wants to come back IMO.
But who knows? They might give him 4/4 since he's one of Babs sons.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
AJ IS IN!

Babcock on 4th line: "I shut them down there at the end in the 3rd, really no reason to & I'll have to let that happen here as time goes so we're really prepared for the playoffs. Plek's got to be an important guy when we're ahead. That's an important process for us to go thru.

Babcock with big praise for Johnsson: "I didn't know if he had speed, he does & he's so intelligent & on the right side of the puck & he makes really good plays, got good fast-twitch. He's good on the PP, good on the PK, he's a good hockey player. We're lucky to have him."

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Seems Babcock is a big fan.

I think he’s pumping his tires a little bit, but so far based on his play I can see why Babs would like him.

Anointing him as the next JVR is a bit much tho imo. Not sure what his ceiling is as of yet but he hasn’t shown me that he’s going to become one of the most consistent scorers in the league.

Reactions: Dzonna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad