Is Andreas Johnsson our new JVR

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs may already have their next JVR - Sportsnet.ca .

I haven't seen him play much. Heard pretty good things .I think this is what leaf management envisioned. Having a prospect pool that can fill holes left by departing players

he wont score 30/30 but he also wont be non existent in the defensive zone too, I think Kapanen could get 1st look at JVR's spot though he can play LW. Bring johnsson in on the 4th line like Kapanen has done then earn is way up the lineup

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
As of right now, no prospect we have can replace what JVR does for atleast 2 to 3 years.
You never know, he may be even in better 5on 5 play. Like I said I heard this guy can skate has soft hands and has size. He is killing it on the Marlies .

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't be so quick to peg him as a 30/30 guy but I wouldn't dismiss it either. He'll never be the same net front presence but he can do things jvr can't do

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As of right now, no prospect we have can replace what JVR does for atleast 2 to 3 years.

It depends what aspect of the game you are talking about. Defensively, I think Johnsson is far better than JvR right now. Not NHL tested, but I do not think you'd see JvR become a good defensive player in the AHL either...

Offensively, well I doubt we find anyone who is as good on the PP or in front of the net as JvR. He's probably one of the best in the NHL. However that does not mean he's an irreplaceable player, especially if there are other aspects that are far more important.

Saying he's our "new JvR" is misleading since they are nothing alike. Johnsson is similar to Kapanen. I do think he could step up into the top 9 next year though, and it'll be interesting to see if the Leafs trust him and Leivo enough to replace JvR and Komarov next year on the LW.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
You never know, he may be even in better 5on 5 play. Like I said I heard this guy can skate has soft hands and has size. He is killing it on the Marlies .
I agree he looks good, but its not very often a prospect can come in and be a 30/30 guy right away. I would love to be wrong tho

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
It depends what aspect of the game you are talking about. Defensively, I think Johnsson is far better than JvR right now. Not NHL tested, but I do not think you'd see JvR become a good defensive player in the AHL either...

Offensively, well I doubt we find anyone who is as good on the PP or in front of the net as JvR. He's probably one of the best in the NHL. However that does not mean he's an irreplaceable player, especially if there are other aspects that are far more important.

Saying he's our "new JvR" is misleading since they are nothing alike. Johnsson is similar to Kapanen. I do think he could step up into the top 9 next year though, and it'll be interesting to see if the Leafs trust him and Leivo enough to replace JvR and Komarov next year on the LW.
Definately agree with you. Hard to compare them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Johnsson is one of those guys whose game translates very well from the ahl to the nhl for what it's worth. He looked very good in preseason

Reactions: PickleRick

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I agree he looks good, but its not very often a prospect can come in and be a 30/30 guy right away. I would love to be wrong tho

none of our prospects need to be 30/30 to replace JVR. He is so soft defensively if they are say 20/30 players id equate them to being JVR level. JVR (and bozak) leak goals against tighten that up and we a coming out neutral on the changeover

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He plays nothing like JVR. Its unlikely johnson is more skilled than brown. But hey anything can happen.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
We cant expect johnsson to come in and replace what JVR does. Heavy expectations for a young rookie. There usually is an adjustment period for prospects that arent Matthews/Marner/Nylander level of skill.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wouldn't be so quick to peg him as a 30/30 guy but I wouldn't dismiss it either. He'll never be the same net front presence but he can do things jvr can't do

But that role isn't foreign to him. Going back to the WJC he played in doing that role. You don't need to be 6'3 like JVR to be an effective net front player.

Just look at Holmstrom.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
We cant expect johnsson to come in and replace what JVR does. Heavy expectations for a young rookie. There usually is an adjustment period for prospects that arent Matthews/Marner/Nylander level of skill.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Never big on straight across replacements when it involves an incoming rookie (unless it's that rare Matthews calibre player). For us to progress as a team, we'd have to collectively replace what JVR brings. It can't be player(s) out, player(s) in, and everything else remains the same. Present JVR is doing well, but we'd have to project future JVR in re-signing him and what he's looking for.

Given our cap situation moving forward and our strengths and needs, Johnsson's overall skill-set fits our team better in my view. Like his chances of being an effective player for us.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But that role isn't foreign to him. Going back to the WJC he played in doing that role. You don't need to be 6'3 like JVR to be an effective net front player.

Just look at Holmstrom.
True but it does help. Jvr also has some of the best hands in tight, though Johnsson is definitely no slouch. Either way it'd be great to see him on our 4th line with some powerplay time this year

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let's hope not. I thought Johnsson was a player to be excited about?

Reactions: al secord

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnsson reminds me a bit of Cammalleri around his prime in terms of his offensive game. Very good around the net and in traffic. Also has a terrific release. He's tenacious on the forecheck. Seems to do well in his own zone but not sure how it will be in the NHL. Tough to compare his overall game to a NHLer for those that haven't seen much of him though.

He's not a big player but he's pretty strong on his skates.

JVR and Johnsson are completely different in their style. But Johnsson should be a player to look for going into next season.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

member 147413

Dude is like 5’10, a ton of Leafs fans will be disappointed now that the hype train has gotten a hold of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad