Speculation: Hoffman drama lowering his trade value?

Hoffman Drama lowering his trade value

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Well than I guess what I said was correct. If teams will accept players with histories of domestic violence, I'm sure they will accept players with girlfriends that sent out mean tweets.

And in no way am I saying the alleged messages sent by Ms. Caryck are acceptable.
Why are you even trying to play this down as to only being mean tweets? They're horrible comments directed at a teammate and his wife, even after the loss of their child. In the context of co-existing in a functional team that is much worse than what both Voynov and Roy did.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Why are you even trying to play this down as to only being mean tweets? They're horrible comments directed at a teammate and his wife, even after the loss of their child. In the context of co-existing in a functional team that is much worse than what both Voynov and Roy did.
I'm not trying to play it down at all. I think it's horrible.

I also think a team will continue to employee him so long as he can continue to score 25-30 goals a year.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I question his character, just because he's associated with someone like his girlfriend.

If I had a need for him, I'd still give up a 1st + for him though.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Aside from the obvious measure of can bad boy player x help us more than he hurts us, I think it is clear that pro groups will embrace someone who has acted badly into their team if that person can demonstrate they are no longer doing the bad behaviour. A player with a bad history of something, who has looked inward, got help to be better, and no longer behaves this way will be welcomed. Almost every player in any locker room has acted badly in some way. The question is, who are you today.

Therefore, a person who has hurt his spouse, committed a crime of some kind, but who has grown and is always working to better and trying to act as a good teammate, can be welcomed.

In this case, IF Hoffman is standing by his girlfriend even after her alleged behaviour is proven to be true, then he could not be welcomed into Ottawa room, no doubt. In that case, someone who is currently supporting this awful behaviour (his significant other tormenting your captain/star players wife and making such horrible comments about his child and career) could not be welcome into any teams room, without concern.

I would much rather have a reformed spousal abuser in my team, someone who has paid the price and would now stand up for right and protect a woman, than allow a player onto my team that would support his spouse attacking my teammates spouse in the way alleged here.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
One guy beat up a woman. The other is dating a woman that said some mean things.

Both are horrible but one is way less forgivable.

It's way less forgivable socially speaking, however in terms of fostering a winning culture, I don't see Voynov causing a headache for other players like Hoffman's girlfriend potentially could.

What Voynov did is obviously worse, but within the context of a team, Voynov is the way superior choice.

From a Leafs perspective, I don't want his nutjob girlfriend on our team, if he broke up with her, sure he could have the same value (maybe slightly lower), but I wouldn't take him for free now.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
As a devils fan I was interested before any of this came out. I think I’m even more interested now that his value may have taken a hit. If the devils can get him for their 4th or 5th this draft, sign me up.

If he stays with his girlfriend, is it really worth the potential headaches? Obviously he's a good player, but what if his gf manages to piss off one of the younger guys.

Hoffman's value is negative at this point, why? Because you have Hoffman's value-the potential harm of having his gf there which obviously is absolutely unlimited considering what she did to Karlsson's gf.

The fact that it's Karlsson just adds another layer of stupidity/insanity, it's never right to do what she did (obviously), but if she was at least beefing with some AHL callups wife, it doesn't destroy the person she supposedly "loves" career in Hoffman. She chose THE worst person to go after and she said THE worst things and it doesn't end there, let's say she gets into a beef with Hischer or Hall's squeeze and attacks the gf's family and says something like "I'm glad your parents died, they wouldn't see what a POS you are."

If he dumps her, his value takes a slight hit, if he stays with her, I'm not touching him with a 10 foot pole even for free.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only way a team will consider giving him another chance is if he dumps his girlfriend.

The only other solution, if they refuse to break up, the best-case-scenario would be that she cannot socialize with any of the players or their wives and at games, she must be supervised by higher authority, which might include security for possibly as long as Hoffman's career.

It also makes me wonder what Taylor Hall did to get out of Edmonton and get traded for Adam Larsson, which looks to be urgent. I know Eberle is his friend as to which he could've been supporting Hall.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Totally.

The question is will any team want to bring that into their room now not knowing how this is going to end, even then this has stained Hoffman no doubt, if a team decided to take this on, it likely won't go well.

I really can't see Hoffman having an NHL career anymore, so either the Sens buy him out, or put him on waivers and send him to the minors, then he can go to Europe in 2 seasons or less, just can't see a team taking this on.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Only way a team will consider giving him another chance is if he dumps his girlfriend.

The only other solution, if they refuse to break up, the best-case-scenario would be that she cannot socialize with any of the players or their wives and at games, she must be supervised by higher authority, which might include security for possibly as long as Hoffman's career.

It also makes me wonder what Taylor Hall did to get out of Edmonton and get traded for Adam Larsson, which looks to be urgent. I know Eberle is his friend as to which he could've been supporting Hall.
Lmao oh yeah, is that the only way?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
100% yes. Your gm comes to you (Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, MacKinnon, Eichel, etc) and says we can get this guy cheap and he is very talented, but his baggage may harass your wife and divide the team. What would you say?

The Sens are going to lose him and Karlsson because of his wacko fiance.

Outside of a very public break-up ripping her and apologizing to the Karlssons, this guy is blackballed in this league.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yep. Bertuzzi tried to kill a guy, Heatley did kill a guy and both kept playing for years no biggie. Technically speaking Hoffman himself isn't even accused of anything although it's pretty unlikely he didn't know what was going on.

Hope he won't become a Flame although he's exactly what we need on ice.

Not really.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well than I guess what I said was correct. If teams will accept players with histories of domestic violence, I'm sure they will accept players with girlfriends that sent out mean tweets.

And in no way am I saying the alleged messages sent by Ms. Caryck are acceptable.

Again you seem to be missing the point.

The players with a history of domestic violence are horrible human beings, but their disgusting actions are not against their teammates and do not affect their team or their locker room.

The case of Hoffman and his fiancé, her actions directly affect a teammate and the chemistry of the locker room. The tweets that have surfaced from other WAGs connected to the Senators make it clear that this issue was wide spread and well known.

It's not close to the same thing.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Who would bring the potential toxicity of his fiancé into their room? It is entirely possible this situation is the primary reason a final four team utterly collapsed and is about to lose its franchise player. Talk about a risky investment.

Winnipeg or Tampa?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Depends on how much teams are able to get away with in terms of the degree allowable for isolating and excluding his spouse. I think their lawyers would have to be pretty sure that the acquiring team doesn’t end up with any liability. Could his soon to be wife be made to agree to a cease and desist or restraining order of some kind that bars her from all team events and contact with any members of the team or their families?

If he wants to be married to this woman and also have an nhl career, he’s going to have to agree to some pretty difficult concessions.

I don’t see this being an impediment at all. There are few company events I take my wife to,and it could easily be zero. Teams have a contract with Hoffman, not his girlfriend. Keep her away from the team who traded for him and Hoffman can go back to Being a hockey player. Ottawa get a shit return, but they salvage a chance at signing Karlsson. This needs to happen ASAP so Karlsson doesn’t feel ignored.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
If this story actually played out the way that is being said theres not very many options.
Hoffman dumps his chick and realizes shes cancer.
Hoffman stays with his chick and retires.

I don't really see any team taking on that kind of baggage. To single out a star players wife and torment her. Nobody is going to put up with that shit, Nobody.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
As long as he’s still with his girlfriend, yeah it does.
So youre teling me hes automaically a bad person even if, its true, he gives her another chance to get her act together... kind of like how relationships work?

I feel bad if your significant other messes up one day

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
What internet tough guys - saying someone HAS to dump their fiancee/girlfriend of ten years because they deem what she did unforgivable. Yikes, bunch of folks who I bet wouldnt do the same if it was their fiancee

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
What internet tough guys - saying someone HAS to dump their fiancee/girlfriend of ten years because they deem what she did unforgivable. Yikes, bunch of folks who I bet wouldnt do the same if it was their fiancee
Love is blind as they say.

This really seems like an odd hill to die on too.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes it will hurt trade value ESPECIALLY if they are found guilty.

Best case for the Sens, trade Karlsson for a hefty return and keep Hoffman. Maybe Karlsson leaving will calm things down. Council both them as best you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad