Speculation: Hoffman drama lowering his trade value?

Hoffman Drama lowering his trade value

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Depends on if he stays with his fiance or not. I wouldn't want that drama being introduced into my players & their partner's off ice lives.
I agree. A situation like this reaches beyond the locker room and can become really toxic. If I were another team's executive with any concern for the big picture lives of my players (And I think that pretty describes most of them) I wouldn't touch Hoffman. If enough GMs pass on the opportunity to acquire him then yeah, his return would definitely be reduced. Judging on what's been reported publicly I can't how he can be moved at this point.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't see how they are remotely comparable. In the case of Voynov, you are not talking about a situation that is toxic and affects other players on the team. In the case of Hoffman, you have a situation where it directly affects others, it directly affects team chemistry and it directly affects the locker room.

These things are remotely the same.

You don't think Voynov literally going to jail for beating his wife won't be a toxic lockeroom topic?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One guy beat up a woman. The other is dating a woman that said some mean things.

Both are horrible but one is way less forgivable.

It's not really about how bad the thing is. It's about the chance of a repeat being very high in Hoffman's case, because he's still with the woman, and also because the victim was a teammate.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The easy answer is yes. Even if you believe Hoff knew nothing about it....which if anybody on here are married or in long term relationships, if your partner mildly dislikes someone, YOU KNOW ABOUT IT, so again...if that's what you believe...it doesn't matter, no team wants that lunatic girlfriend around the team.

Reactions: 67Blues

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You don't think Voynov literally going to jail for beating his wife won't be a toxic lockeroom topic?

Has their been tension in Philly with Lombardi in the organization? Obviously some fans aren't happy, but it seems pretty clear to me that professional sports franchises get by just fine with tolerating domestic violence (or tolerating those who do tolerate domestic violence, like Lombardi).

I think it's pretty obvious that NHL franchises would tolerate domestic violence more than this kind of drama, despite the fact that it's totally backwards.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think more than lowering his value it has probably quite dramatically shrunk the market for this player.

Not only are there the original accusation from Melinda Karlsson, but now other ex-teammates wives have spoken up about this woman. Both Turris' wife and Andrew Hammond's wife have gone on the record about the issues with this woman.

Why would any General Manager want to intentionally throw a piranha into the tank? This woman sounds like she has very serious issues and Hoffman has made it clear that is standing by her (and plans to marry her.) I can't see why any team would want knowingly bring him into the fold knowing that she is part of that package. A disruptive force behind the scenes that causes drama and tension among the wives has a huge effect on their husbands and what they do. I think the Senators have an asset here that is dying on the vine. Hoffman's career could actually be in jeopardy.

I mean, look at Vegas. It was all about their culture. Everyone bought in.

With this growing emphasis on developing a "brotherhood," I can't imagine many organizations would covet a player with baggage of this magnitude.

Of course, there will be teams that value Hoffman's skill set, and I'm sure someone will take a gamble on him. I just don't see anyone paying anything of consequence.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is a tough situation. First, is there any real proof that it happened or is it just verbal. The court appears to have given some kind of an order that asks for everyone respect eachother, but it isn't based on any verifiable evidence. If I were trading for him, I would want to get to the bottom of this prior to doing so.

As for value - who knows. The big issues is this: is this isolated where the two women have been going at it and there is back and forth or is this a case of someone going after someone else. And yes, Hoffman likely knows what is going on.

As a Blues fan, I was lukewarm on him to begin with and now, I would prefer not to bring him in at all. A wife can damage a locker room as much as a player. I would prefer to stay away.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I honestly don’t think he CAN get moved unless he dumps her. The value is pretty moot at this point. He’s a good player, but I wouldn’t even bring in Crosby if his girl was nuking locker rooms like this.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I would think it has to. And voted accordingly.

The only way it's a NO vote is if this was all out in the open among GM's and they had already black listed him or otherwise decided to low ball extremely.

Quite frankly, I have to wonder if they could give him away at this point.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Depends on how much teams are able to get away with in terms of the degree allowable for isolating and excluding his spouse. I think their lawyers would have to be pretty sure that the acquiring team doesn’t end up with any liability. Could his soon to be wife be made to agree to a cease and desist or restraining order of some kind that bars her from all team events and contact with any members of the team or their families?

If he wants to be married to this woman and also have an nhl career, he’s going to have to agree to some pretty difficult concessions.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I would think it has to. And voted accordingly.

The only way it's a NO vote is if this was all out in the open among GM's and they had already black listed him or otherwise decided to low ball extremely.

Quite frankly, I have to wonder if they could give him away at this point.

I feel the same.Bringing in that type of negative drama into a team environment can destroy things in a hurry.Just look at how things have gone in Ottawa the last year,surely this BS has caused some of the problems with that team.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
The better question any interested party will ask is: how will this effect his performance on the ice?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just keep picturing him getting traded....then going to an event where all the other wives/girlfriends are. She will be an outcast and it for sure will cause issues. I am trying to see a scenario where his new teammates will welcome him and honestly, I find it hard to see. I just see everyone siding with EK and his wife and will shun Hoffman and his fiance.

The worst is, you can't re-sign EK with Hoffman still on the roster. So you HAVE to trade him. But EK might leave anyways and if you keep Hoffman and trade EK, it looks like the Sens side with Hoffman and I think the fans would just revolt.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If or when evidence is presented it will.

At the moment it is an accusation, and while not baseless if a peace order has been imposed, it is still just an accusation. There seems to be support for the Karlssons with the team and I haven't read anything from their teammates or their spouses defending Hoffman or his fiance.

Ottawa would be wise to trade him before this spirals.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
My personal opinion is that all teams were aware of this all summer. The NHL is such a tight community that you can’t keep secrets inter league. But now that it’s common knowledge, you’re going to have some fan bases turning their noses at the thought of adding a guy of this character. I think teams will balk now

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No. If Voyonov beat up a teammates wife it would make the locker toxic. This is a better comparable as the level of cyber bullying by this women is psychotic

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
There is no debate to be had.

Hoffman has almost no value at this point. If you think otherwise you are wrong.

That being said, if you think he will be traded for your cap dump (where the Sens have the cheapest owner in the league) you are equally wrong.

He has no value though: Sens will trade him for the best offer made, and if that's a 5th round pick, then that's his value.

I personally would not touch him for free as a fan of another team since the dressing room is so important in hockey.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I think the value has less to so with the severity of what happened, and the severity of how it affects the locker room. The trust is gone.

Alex Mills

It’s way too early in the process to see where this ends up, but best case his trade value is on hold at this point. He publicly defended his fiancee in the press. If it’s discovered everyone involved was duped, it will take a while for tensions to dissipate and order to be restored. But if it’s uncovered that he was complicit or negligent, this could tun into an even bigger mess for all. Worst case, this could escalate to the level of a material breach and contract termination like Richards or an indefinite league suspension like Voynov, not to mention possible legal consequences.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
There is no debate to be had.

Hoffman has almost no value at this point. If you think otherwise you are wrong.

That being said, if you think he will be traded for your cap dump (where the Sens have the cheapest owner in the league) you are equally wrong.

He has no value though: Sens will trade him for the best offer made, and if that's a 5th round pick, then that's his value.

I personally would not touch him for free as a fan of another team since the dressing room is so important in hockey.

Deal

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
No. If Voyonov beat up a teammates wife it would make the locker toxic. This is a better comparable as the level of cyber bullying by this women is psychotic
Exactly. If you are a disgusting woman beater, then you deserve to be shunned by your teammates but truthfully, it is pretty low on their radar personally for most. But, if you or yours directly affects multiple spouses on the team as to which it appears, now you not only are shunned by your teammates, but now you are personally on their radar as you've brought conflict into their lives and homes. That is the making for a really bad locker room.

The best thing he can do for his career is to ditch the witch. She'll pull him down into the gutter and ruin his potential career and earnings. This doesn't appear to be a one time, "I'm mad at her" tiff. This seems to be multiple people and long on-going harassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad