Speculation: Hoffman drama lowering his trade value?

Hoffman Drama lowering his trade value

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Godfather

Feb 13, 2004
Plenty of rumors that Hoffman is leaving if not draft day, then this summer. Has the latest drama hurt the Sens from getting a better returned package?

Such issues have lowered value of some players in the past, and even increased the want for management to "get them out of here".

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
It absolutely has. Whether or not its true teams now know that OTT has literally no choice but to move Hoffman. No way they get the same package they otherwise wouldve.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think it will. Also it probably reduces the number of teams interested In him making it that much harder for the Sens to actually move him

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The fan in me hopes Hoffman's trade value is still a 1st round pick+, but thinking logically, I can't see why a team would pay full value for a player who at least in the short term might be a major distraction.

I still think there will be interest in him with his contract and skillset. This won't be the first time a team acquires a player with baggage. I'm just not as convinced that what Ottawa gets will be anywhere near as high as what they would have received had this issue never existed.

Given this situation, I'm fascinated to see what the eventual return on him is. Calgary has been interested in Hoffman for a long time apparently, I highly doubt prior to this story Ottawa would have done Hoffman for Bennett 1 for 1, but maybe from a PR standpoint for Ottawa, that'd be the best move if offers are really soft. While I think Bennett will never reach his draft stock, they can sell to the casual fans that they flipped Hoffman for a center who was in contention for the 1st overall pick 4 years ago. I don't think Bennett's value is all that high right now.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It will hurt his value, but I'm not sure that it will lower it that much. Let's not kid ourselves, NHL teams don't really care about this kind of stuff. There is a lot of interest in Slava Voynov after he threw his wife through a TV a couple years back, the NHL has a feigned concern about crap like this.

True about Voynov and that activity is disgusting, but he didn’t cause turmoil inside the locker room. That’s the biggest issue, imo.

Remains to be seen what teams do going forward, but that’s a nasty thing to say and do.

Wonder if there’s truth to her comments though.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Who would bring the potential toxicity of his fiancé into their room? It is entirely possible this situation is the primary reason a final four team utterly collapsed and is about to lose its franchise player. Talk about a risky investment.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It could be meaningless in a scenario where they trade Karlsson instead. Given that that would be stupid, I'm gonna say that yes it did.

If it's true that this has been an open secret for a long time I find it rather embarrassing that the Senators didn't deal with the problem a lot sooner.

Reactions: Aerrol

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Worst thread made on these boards. Of course what has been reported lowers his value. He won't be out of a job though.
He's better than most NHL'ers and that doesn't go away with what's reported of having happened.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Worst thread made on these boards. Of course what has been reported lowers his value. He won't be out of a job though.
He's better than most NHL'ers and that doesn't go away with what's reported of having happened.

I do agree with this.

Some team will roll the dice that they can manage the circus, especially if they can get him at a discount. 60 point players don't grow on trees.

Reactions: Aerrol

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It absolutely hurt his value.

If he dumps her or everything turns out to be false accusations, I do think it’ll go up.

I don't see how the Senators can afford to wait that long. This thing will take months to years to play out in the courts.

If they want to have any hope of getting Karlsson extended they need to deal with this ASAP regardless of who is right and who is wrong.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Plenty of rumors that Hoffman is leaving if not draft day, then this summer. Has the latest drama hurt the Sens from getting a better returned package?

Such issues have lowered value of some players in the past, and even increased the want for management to "get them out of here".
In related news, water is wet.

He has lost value. How this plays out will tell us just how much it has dropped.

If Hoffman severs all ties with his GF it could go a long way to dealing with team's concerns in brining him in.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I think more than lowering his value it has probably quite dramatically shrunk the market for this player.

Not only are there the original accusation from Melinda Karlsson, but now other ex-teammates wives have spoken up about this woman. Both Turris' wife and Andrew Hammond's wife have gone on the record about the issues with this woman.

Why would any General Manager want to intentionally throw a piranha into the tank? This woman sounds like she has very serious issues and Hoffman has made it clear that is standing by her (and plans to marry her.) I can't see why any team would want knowingly bring him into the fold knowing that she is part of that package. A disruptive force behind the scenes that causes drama and tension among the wives has a huge effect on their husbands and what they do. I think the Senators have an asset here that is dying on the vine. Hoffman's career could actually be in jeopardy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would not want this guy's girlfriend within a hundred miles of my team.

"Lost value" doesn't begin to describe it. This story is pretty sick, and the kind of thing you just can't overlook, regardless of a player's talent.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I do agree with this.

Some team will roll the dice that they can manage the circus, especially if they can get him at a discount. 60 point players don't grow on trees.
Yep. Bertuzzi tried to kill a guy, Heatley did kill a guy and both kept playing for years no biggie. Technically speaking Hoffman himself isn't even accused of anything although it's pretty unlikely he didn't know what was going on.

Hope he won't become a Flame although he's exactly what we need on ice.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If teams are interested in Voynov, not sure how there wouldn't be teams interested in Hoffman.

I don't see how they are remotely comparable. In the case of Voynov, you are not talking about a situation that is toxic and affects other players on the team. In the case of Hoffman, you have a situation where it directly affects others, it directly affects team chemistry and it directly affects the locker room.

These things are remotely the same.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't see how they are remotely comparable. In the case of Voynov, you are not talking about a situation that is toxic and affects other players on the team. In the case of Hoffman, you have a situation where it directly affects others, it directly affects team chemistry and it directly affects the locker room.

These things are remotely the same.
One guy beat up a woman. The other is dating a woman that said some mean things.

Both are horrible but one is way less forgivable.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
They’ll still get good value for him from someone. It’s not like he’s a scrub. But I don’t think anyone will overpay or a bidding war is going to break out over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad