Speculation: Hoffman drama lowering his trade value?

Hoffman Drama lowering his trade value

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I definitely don't want him anywhere near the Hurricanes locker room (or Raleigh in general).

As with all character concerns, there will be a number of teams (maybe most) who wouldn't take him for free. The "Do Not Acquire" list. Removing that demand would inherently decrease Hoffman's trade value as less teams are bidding for him. However, it only takes one team to make a deal. Not impossible that some team pays somewhat closer to fair value than zero. Scott Darling has a loathsome sister who tweets garbage about the Canes regularly and that doesn't seem to be a major issue for the team. The situation with Hoffman's GF is looking much worse but it appears that the excuse of "That's just my crazy ___ and not me" provides some shielding to the player.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is a very unique situation. This isn't like Voynov, or Heatley, or Bertuzzi etc. Hockey players know to leave baggage out of things and just play hockey. The problem here is that this is something you can't leave the baggage out. If Hoffman stays with his fiance, which is appears he will, nobody will want them around.

Anyone who thinks chemistry isn't important to a hockey team clearly didn't watch Vegas play. I don't think an unhappy locker room is winning anything and for evidence, just look at the season the Sens just had. Hoffman's value isn't just in the goals he scores, it's in the ability to not disrupt a locker room and at this point it's too much of a risk.

Worst case scenario: If these allegations end up confirmed and Hoffman stays with her, I don't think the Sens will have any choice other than to buy him out.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
In a market full of goal scoring wingers this has decimated his value. In all of sports teams/owners HATE distractions and bad press and they have let players go for far less.

This has probably taken Hoffman's value from a 1st and a good prospect to maybe a 2nd but overall the amount of teams who will be willing to add him after that story is very very low.

Usually Ott would have to keep him until all the bad press died down a bit, but considering the dynamic of the situation they may be forced to move him as keeping him almost certainly means EK will be gone and the fans will shift all the blame on him and the media will rip the team apart.

I can't remember a more dysfunctional garbage org than current day Ott. Cheap owner, ASGM sexually assaulting people, brutal harassment between players wives/fiancés and an awful on ice position.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This is a very unique situation. This isn't like Voynov, or Heatley, or Bertuzzi etc. Hockey players know to leave baggage out of things and just play hockey. The problem here is that this is something you can't leave the baggage out. If Hoffman stays with his fiance, which is appears he will, nobody will want them around.

Anyone who thinks chemistry isn't important to a hockey team clearly didn't watch Vegas play. I don't think an unhappy locker room is winning anything and for evidence, just look at the season the Sens just had. Hoffman's value isn't just in the goals he scores, it's in the ability to not disrupt a locker room and at this point it's too much of a risk.

Worst case scenario: If these allegations end up confirmed and Hoffman stays with her, I don't think the Sens will have any choice other than to buy him out.

Considering 4 wives of players have already come out saying this is all true its looking very very likely that the story is accurate as this level of response never happens in the sport.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
It'll likely hurt his value a bit but this appears to be an isolated incident, not that that makes it any less forgiveable. I don't think the locker room 'issues' would follow seeing as how the disagreement all stems from parties off the ice. I never expected Ottawa to get much for him because Ottawa is going to Ottawa, but I also don't think he's Brent Seabrook level of untradeable.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Considering 4 wives of players have already come out saying this is all true its looking very very likely that the story is accurate as this level of response never happens in the sport.

I agree. The amount of WAG support behind Karlsson combined with the fact that it takes a lot of guts to bring something like this to court (you'd have to be basically completely sure) for someone in such a public light makes it difficult to believe in could be anything but true.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It'll likely hurt his value a bit but this appears to be an isolated incident, not that that makes it any less forgiveable. I don't think the locker room 'issues' would follow seeing as how the disagreement all stems from parties off the ice. I never expected Ottawa to get much for him because Ottawa is going to Ottawa, but I also don't think he's Brent Seabrook level of untradeable.

Hoffman's agent has come out and said essentially "lets be realistic there is no way the two parties can co-exist in the same locker-room next year". Full quote was tweeted by Ian McLaren

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
This is such a crazy development. I mean who would even trade for this guy if his fiance is a psychopath? He needs to dump that ***** pronto
There was a rumour he was on the market or would be traded before any of this even came out. Why wouldn't they trade him before and save themselves some trouble?

Besides, isn't it all mostly speculation until the team publishes a report or more details confirm?

How does someone post 1000 times without even a brief anecdote being reported anywhere before that? All the bloggers out there were asleep or what?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I agree. A situation like this reaches beyond the locker room and can become really toxic. If I were another team's executive with any concern for the big picture lives of my players (And I think that pretty describes most of them) I wouldn't touch Hoffman. If enough GMs pass on the opportunity to acquire him then yeah, his return would definitely be reduced. Judging on what's been reported publicly I can't how he can be moved at this point.
Bertuzzi was mentioned as an example. In the NFL, teams have taken chances with problematic/toxic players.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Exactly. If you are a disgusting woman beater, then you deserve to be shunned by your teammates but truthfully, it is pretty low on their radar personally for most. But, if you or yours directly affects multiple spouses on the team as to which it appears, now you not only are shunned by your teammates, but now you are personally on their radar as you've brought conflict into their lives and homes. That is the making for a really bad locker room.

The best thing he can do for his career is to ditch the witch. She'll pull him down into the gutter and ruin his potential career and earnings. This doesn't appear to be a one time, "I'm mad at her" tiff. This seems to be multiple people and long on-going harassment.
It affects another spouse and thus, it affects the player - directly. It's different than the Voyonov situation.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Fair enough but did they maintain their value given the baggage they were carrying?
His value will be reduced but I suppose, I was responding to the last sentence of that poster which read, "Judging on what's been reported publicly I can't *see* how he can be moved at this point."
* my correction*

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Hoffman's agent has come out and said essentially "lets be realistic there is no way the two parties can co-exist in the same locker-room next year". Full quote was tweeted by Ian McLaren

Not really sure what that has to do with my post. I was speaking to his trade value and not questioning if he was going to be traded at all.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It will hurt his value, but I'm not sure that it will lower it that much. Let's not kid ourselves, NHL teams don't really care about this kind of stuff. There is a lot of interest in Slava Voynov after he threw his wife through a TV a couple years back, the NHL has a feigned concern about crap like this.

Yes, there are teams that would consider Voynov. At the same time there are many teams that simply won't, thus lowering his value by a good amount.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
As a devils fan I was interested before any of this came out. I think I’m even more interested now that his value may have taken a hit. If the devils can get him for their 4th or 5th this draft, sign me up.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Hoffman's drama is going to nullify his value to the point of, "KHL Fodder".

Nobody wants some d****e that backs up his POS girlfriend harassing their franchise player and his wife about their baby dying.
Someone will take a flyer on him when his value drops to pennies on the dollar. There is some GM and coach who believes they can control the locker room and fix this situation. If he comes out with a mea culpa type announcement with a new team, and the woman is dumped, he'll be fine on the new team. But that is a lot of moving parts to take a chance on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad