Speculation: Hoffman drama lowering his trade value?

Hoffman Drama lowering his trade value

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What internet tough guys - saying someone HAS to dump their fiancee/girlfriend of ten years because they deem what she did unforgivable. Yikes, bunch of folks who I bet wouldnt do the same if it was their fiancee

If it was her or my NHL playing career worth millions...and she was doing what has been suggested...100% I would dump her.

I mean, there are red flags....and there are BIG red flags. This is a BIG red flag.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Hoffman still has a decent bit of value (though Ottawa's negotiating position just went out the window). However I can't see any team bringing him in being quick to extend the welcome mat, nor can I see a locker room that's going to be willing to imbrace him off the ice.

He'll still be in the NHL, but I think teams will treat him purely as a mercenary, likely just getting 1 or 2 year deals once he's off this one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It will hurt his value, but I'm not sure that it will lower it that much. Let's not kid ourselves, NHL teams don't really care about this kind of stuff. There is a lot of interest in Slava Voynov after he threw his wife through a TV a couple years back, the NHL has a feigned concern about crap like this.
First and foremost, I want to say I am not saying the Hoffman allegations are worse than what Voynov did, as a human being Voynov is a piece of human shit and shouldn't be allowed to be free IMO.

However....

There is a difference between the Voynov/Hoffman situations from the perspective of an NHL team though. Voynov beat his wife at home, it didn't really affect anyone on the team until he was arrested. Hoffman's fiance (allegedly) threatened another players wife and harassed them about the death of their child, which directly impacts someone within the locker room.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
We don't know the whole story yet.
It could be a feud situation where there were bad actions by both parties and Hoffman's fiance took it way too far.
We don't know enough yet to simply throw Hoffman under the bus...yet.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
What internet tough guys - saying someone HAS to dump their fiancee/girlfriend of ten years because they deem what she did unforgivable. Yikes, bunch of folks who I bet wouldnt do the same if it was their fiancee

What's tough about it?

She's not hot or at best she's not THAT hot, her personality obviously has major flaws and I highly doubt that a millionaire athlete would have trouble finding a decent girl that isn't a psycho and is somewhat qt.

Personally, I would dump her so fast your head would spin.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
What's tough about it?

She's not hot or at best she's not THAT hot, her personality obviously has major flaws and I highly doubt that a millionaire athlete would have trouble finding a decent girl that isn't a psycho and is somewhat qt.

Personally, I would dump her so fast your head would spin.
Yeah right, youd date someone for ten years you are bashing over looks and personality. I bet youd have started dating her in the first place... let alone ten years.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yeah right, youd date someone for ten years you are bashing over looks and personality. I bet youd have started dating her in the first place... let alone ten years.
It's hard to understand what you mean by "youd". In context it could mean "you wouldn't" then again it could also mean "you would".

Other than that, you have to be the most innocent man on these boards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This guy sounds like trouble. What kind of organization would willingly add him and his fiancee to the culture?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
It's hard to understand what you mean by "youd". In context it could mean "you wouldn't" then again it could also mean "you would".

Other than that, you have to be the most innocent man on these boards.
People dont even break up over addictions, cheating, etc.. so what makes you think an online harassement would end ten years of dating someone as easily as 1-2-3?

Itll be much harder than that. This guy committed to marrying this woman by making her his fiancee.

Reactions: Heath and Pure

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
People dont even break up over addictions, cheating, etc.. so what makes you think an online harassement would end ten years of dating someone as easily as 1-2-3?

Itll be much harder than that. This guy committed to marrying this woman by making her his fiancee.
That's his prerogative. I'm not saying he has to dump her.

NHL is an old boys club for a very large part. You think NHL (teams) as a whole, would accept Hoffman if it means also taking this kind of person with him? I don't. Players get shunned for far less than this.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
That's his prerogative. I'm not saying he has to dump her.

NHL is an old boys club for a very large part. You think NHL (teams) as a whole, would accept Hoffman if it means also taking this kind of person with him? I don't. Players get shunned for far less than this.
I would never treat a man differently because of who he is married/engaged to unless it affected me or my family in some way. Otherwise I know him for who he is and how he plays (if I was a player).

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The guy is trouble because his fiancee did something?

Welcome to 2018 I guess
Yea you know, his fiancee did something. That something being sustained harassment against Karlsson's wife and taking jabs about their unborn baby. Hmmm... what could the problem be there? Yea man, welcome to 2018. It's ridiculous isn't it? Who would of thunk that in 2018, the spouse of one person attacking the a spouse of that person's co-worker about their dead baby would cause such a problem. When I was growing up, people wouldn't have batted and eye at that, because we were real tough guys.

Reactions: strongcomp05

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
So youre teling me hes automaically a bad person even if, its true, he gives her another chance to get her act together... kind of like how relationships work?

I feel bad if your significant other messes up one day
There’s messing up, and there’s having such a disregard for human life and other people’s feelings that would enable you to be able to say something like that. If my girlfriend did something like that, I’d leave her ass and not look back. I wouldn’t want her instilling morals like that in my kids. Luckily she doesn’t.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would never treat a man differently because of who he is married/engaged to unless it affected me or my family in some way. Otherwise I know him for who he is and how he plays (if I was a player).

Problem with that concept is if you're on a team with 20 guys and your significant other might be a psychopath, it's going to hurt the people you play hockey with and their families. What happens when Hoffman gets traded to Edmonton and his GF decides she doesn't like McDavid's partner or something like that? The sideshow isn't worth the goals...

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario

Welcome to the year 2018 where people call off engagements more often than you can probably imagine. If she did this you can bet Hoffman will kick her to the curb or suffer the consequences.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Don't recall Chris Pronger or his wife engaging in stalking and harassing.

She did a good job in threatening the hubby until Pronger decided to GTFO and screwing over the Oilers. Obviously this is different situation, but the solution is kinda the same.. and believe me I can't stand this... it makes me sick to my stomach.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Its only lowered because ottawa wants to get rid of him to try to keep karlsson. Its not lowered because teams wouldnt want him cause of his girlfriend’s alleged cyber harassment on another adult.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I think he'll land somewhere - the problem is what this does to him psychologically and how that impacts his game on the ice.
It doesn't help that he has publicly stated that he and his fiancee are "150 percent not guilty of this". It leaves him in the position of having to plead ignorance IF it turns out that his fiancee IS guilty of this.
If they stay together after this, it is going to be harder for his career. He'll forever be the apologist for her actions.
If they split up, he can say to his new team mates in the locker room "yeah I really dodged a bullet there - what a psycho SHE turned out to be".

And let's not even start on how he's going to be received by EVERY other fanbase when he plays away games. Those fans have just been given all the ammunition they need to boo him and heckle him.

As somebody who has dated a few nutjob women "back in the day", I find it impossible to believe that Hoffman hasn't seen some indications / signs of this - they've been together 10 years. There's no way the cray cray is staying hidden for that long.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yea you know, his fiancee did something. That something being sustained harassment against Karlsson's wife and taking jabs about their unborn baby. Hmmm... what could the problem be there? Yea man, welcome to 2018. It's ridiculous isn't it? Who would of thunk that in 2018, the spouse of one person attacking the a spouse of that person's co-worker about their dead baby would cause such a problem. When I was growing up, people wouldn't have batted and eye at that, because we were real tough guys.
What a load of machismo rubbish.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Have you ever had a job? If your significant other negatively impacts your workplace, you can be fired for it. It's been that way forever, so this "my day crap" doesn't fly with anyone with a lick of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad