Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
The 10 worst teams in the league. He'll go anywhere with a playoff chance as he'll get to pick where he goes in a year and a half.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
I'm with the people printing out he would like to maximize his list. Teams like Vancouver and Arizona might not be on it because they are rebuilding and wouldn't want to put up their futures anyways. Maybe Zona... I suppose they could offer up OEL+ a younger asset or two.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Not that I’ve been following this saga too closely (just what TSN has been saying) but I was wondering if this attitude of getting “what he is worth” potentially steams from advise from his close friend Alfy?

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
Winnipeg - Location, perceived weather issues among many, owners with spending limit

HM - any west coast team (travel)

I left Edmonton off for the McDavid factor and the new arena, and Florida off for the tax break factor.
There is nothing wrong with the weather in Manitoba.
I thought these were hockey players?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
NHL Network and EJ Hradek proposed:

Erik Karlsson to NJ for Severson, Zacha, McLeod, 2018 1st and if he re-signs a 2019 1st.

Id rather switch McLeod for Quenneville but id do that from NJs perspective

Karlsson would be a perfect fit in NJ

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Toronto
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Montreal
Calgary
Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo
Carolina
Florida

Avs aren't going to be on his list. He and Landeskog are very good friends and no doubt if Karlsson were to be traded that friendship would play a significant role in him at least not being upset with a trade here.

It would include the 6 Canadian teams for obvious reasons, as well as Carolina, Florida, Buffalo, and Arizona IMO. The first 2 because of attendance and fan base issues making the teams unattractive to go to as a star player, the 2nd two because of significant signs that they're about to re-enter into a lengthy rebuild.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
1. Montreal
2. Arizona
3. Detroit
4. Buffalo
5. Colorado
6. Columbus
7. New York (x2)
8. Florida
9. Vegas
10. Edmonton
--------------------

I think more importantly, that were Karlsson to look at clubs with a chance of winning the Cup, he's got to be salivating at the prospect of joining Tampa or Nashville. And I think these two clubs represent the clubs who possess well-respected scouting programs, who have the space to accommodate a move and who have the best chance at a Cup.

I'd put money down on the Lightning nabbing him.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
LA
San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas
Tampa Bay
Florida
Vegas
Arizona
Carolina
Nashville

EK doesn't like being in the sun too much with his pale complexion. His Dermatologist told me...honest. :blush:

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
this thread should be renamed "the 10 teams you dislike therefore you don't want to see Karlsson traded to" :sarcasm: :laugh:

Reactions: Ibewlu3

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
NHL Network and EJ Hradek proposed:

Erik Karlsson to NJ for Severson, Zacha, McLeod, 2018 1st and if he re-signs a 2019 1st.

Id rather switch McLeod for Quenneville but id do that from NJs perspective

Karlsson would be a perfect fit in NJ
Do Devils fans like this? It looks half decent for Ottawa if Karlsson demands a trade and is leaving no matter what.

Who plays top 9 center for the Devils then though? Hischier and Zajac and ... who?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Do Devils fans like this? It looks half decent for Ottawa if Karlsson demands a trade and is leaving no matter what.

Who plays top 9 center for the Devils then though? Hischier and Zajac and ... who?

As an Ottawa fan I would not be OK with this. McLeod and a couple of firsts are all unknowns. Zacha has put up extremely underwhelming numbers. Severson is a nice piece don't get me wrong but he can't be the only legit NHL talent coming back in a deal for Karlsson.

IMO Ottawa would let teams negotiate with Karlsson before a trade to maximize their return (obviously assuming they know he isn't staying in Ottawa 100%). With that in mind I'd want Hischier+ in any deal with NJ.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
IMO Ottawa would let teams negotiate with Karlsson before a trade to maximize their return (obviously assuming they know he isn't staying in Ottawa 100%). With that in mind I'd want Hischier+ in any deal with NJ.
I don't think Karlsson can sign an extension before July 1st... any talks or negotiations before then wouldn't be set in stone or specific / exact numbers. He could easily go to a team in good faith and have a miserable time and not extend in July.

You won't get Hischier for 1.5 years of Karlsson... you would more likely get Hall than Hischier.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Its a bizarre irony, but apparently Ottawa is on his list.
If true, what would this actually mean? Karlsson flat out did not want to choose a 10th team and is perfectly happy going to 21 teams?

I don't get it...

Or does it mean he doesn't want Ottawa to to be able to trade to get him back afterwards, if they do trade him?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I don't think Karlsson can sign an extension before July 1st... any talks or negotiations before then wouldn't be set in stone or specific / exact numbers. He could easily go to a team in good faith and have a miserable time and not extend in July.

You won't get Hischier for 1.5 years of Karlsson... you would more likely get Hall than Hischier.

No matter how bad the Senators are doing currently, do you genuinely think they would trade Karlsson without even having the chance to negotiate an extension themselves? How would that make any sense considering he's the best player to have ever played for them.

All indication so far are that Karlsson wants to win with the Senators, and the Senators want to keep him. All of this trade speculation is assuming he flat out tells management over the summer that he is not staying no matter what, which is a huge assumption in itself.

Karlsson isn't getting traded before July 1, if at all. And if he is, the team acquiring him will have lined up an extension for him before the deal gets done because it maximizes the return for Ottawa and mitigates any risk for the other team. Just look at Turris signing his extension with Nashville about 5 minutes after he got traded.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
No matter how bad the Senators are doing currently, do you genuinely think they would trade Karlsson without even having the chance to negotiate an extension themselves? How would that make any sense considering he's the best player to have ever played for them.
It depends on the situation going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to.

IF Ottawa KNOWS Karlsson will not re-sign (he told them) and IF they truly feel they will miss the playoffs... in that situation, you might get more trading him now than of you wait until the summer. That also assumes he won't sign and trade in the summer to maximize OTT's return in the trade.

In that situation though, it makes perfect sense to me to trade him now instead of later, to get the best return.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see MN being on the list. Brodin, Ek, and Olofsson are all young Swedes on the team. I'm sure he would be tickled to play with either Suter or Brodin as D partners. Who knows? Maybe he wants to spend his off hours on the beach, or in the desert.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Montreal - spotlight when struggling, team seems to be in a state of misdirection
NY Islanders - location uncertainty, history of being bad, risk of losing their only other superstar to free agency
Vancouver - rebuilding
Arizona - rebuilding with no shown improvement
Buffalo - see Arizona
Winnipeg - Location, perceived weather issues among many, owners with spending limit
Colorado - see Arizona
New Jersey - not sure, even though they are improving they still seem to be seen as a bad team by many. Lots of misconceptions that could have them on the list
Calgary - Location/travel times, old junky arena, media spotlight could be a deterrent as with any Canadian team.
Vegas - too new, despite their success this year they are still probably years away from contending - few "core" pieces to build a contender around so far. Good depth, lots of good players, but no "great" players to lead the charge to a cup win.

HM - any west coast team (travel)

I left Edmonton off for the McDavid factor and the new arena, and Florida off for the tax break factor.

Winnipeg has an owner with a spending limit? I think there's something called a "salary cap"....

Reactions: IODCPiper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad