Winnipeg
Calgary
Arizona
Florida
Colorado
NYI
Las Vegas
Buffalo

Only reason Detrout not on thrle list, Swedes and Alffie ( his opinion would mean alot more than anyone realizes)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Here's where the monkey wrench gets thrown into any no-trade list: If it's true that he's really, truly after money, he'll waive for the highest bidder, no matter the team.
This is my thinking as well, If a bottom dweller is willing to offer him $12M to $13M and contenders offer him far less. He's probably signing with that bottom dweller.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Edmonton
Calgary
Arizona
Florida
Las Vegas
Jets
Buffalo
Vancouver(before nucks fans get mad--my guess he want to win the cup and most would agree nucks are over achieving this year)
NYI?

After that no idea

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal - spotlight when struggling, team seems to be in a state of misdirection
NY Islanders - location uncertainty, history of being bad, risk of losing their only other superstar to free agency
Vancouver - rebuilding
Arizona - rebuilding with no shown improvement
Buffalo - see Arizona
Winnipeg - Location, perceived weather issues among many, owners with spending limit
Colorado - see Arizona
New Jersey - not sure, even though they are improving they still seem to be seen as a bad team by many. Lots of misconceptions that could have them on the list
Calgary - Location/travel times, old junky arena, media spotlight could be a deterrent as with any Canadian team.
Vegas - too new, despite their success this year they are still probably years away from contending - few "core" pieces to build a contender around so far. Good depth, lots of good players, but no "great" players to lead the charge to a cup win.

HM - any west coast team (travel)

I left Edmonton off for the McDavid factor and the new arena, and Florida off for the tax break factor.
If he knew that Winnipeg had a spending limit that precluded him why would he put them on his list? Answer is they don’t have a limit and they are likely on his list just because it isn’t a very glamorous city.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he knew that Winnipeg had a spending limit that precluded him why would he put them on his list? Answer is they don’t have a limit and they are likely on his list just because it isn’t a very glamorous city.
He would probably prefer to not move again after the 2019 season if he can make it work, so I don't think it would be outlandish to think that he would prefer to go to a team that is more secure in its finances. Nothing against the Jets organization here, but they are a small market with small market income.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why do people think he put teams like Montreal or Toronto on his list? 0% chance Ottawa would trade him there anyways, he's not going to waste spots on his list with teams like that.

It's unlikely, but if he really, really doesn't want to play for one of those teams he will probably be advised to put them on the list anyway unless there are only a handful of teams he thinks he will be happy for anyway.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Weak Canadian dollar, high tax rate, Toronto media...makes that $12mil a year seem like not that much...

World class city- only a handful of them around the league. He gets paid in USD, so CAD is irrelevant, it just means his cost of living will be less living here.

Tax rate = Sure, but it's only significantly lower in FLA/Texas, a lot more comparable to Cali and NY now if factoring in cost of living.

Media= Can go both ways, depending on personality. Karlsson likes the limelight, I doubt he's a Horton type that wants to play out his life in obscurity.

Winning= Good framework of a young team.

Endorsements= Would be the highest in Toronto of any major destination.

Anywho, if I had to list out the 10 teams:

1-5) Every Canadian team except Toronto- Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver (only because they suck right now), Montreal
6) Arizona
7) Buffalo
8) Detroit
9) Colorado

I'm confident about #1-7. The other 2-3 teams can be some obscure cities/teams/franchises he just doesn't like- one of which could easily be Toronto.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Buffalo
Boston
New York I
Florida
Arizona
Colorado
Minnesota
Edmonton
San Jose
Vegas

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If he wants to be a dick he makes his list all the teams that can afford him. If he wants to win the Cup?

Buffalo, Arizona, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton (this one is not a slam dunk but he would be missing this year and god knows what their cap situation would be if they got him), Carolina, Montreal, Florida, NYI.

Considering he loves Ottawa and calls it home, says he will come back when his career is over the notion he would fear Canadian markets is far fetched. He may not want to be in one of the huge fishbowls like Toronto or Montreal but who really knows. Toronto is close to Ottawa and has a bright future, it may be his first choice.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Weak Canadian dollar, high tax rate, Toronto media...makes that $12mil a year seem like not that much...
You are aware they get paid in US dollars so that a weak Canadian dollar mean his money would go further? Clearly you are not aware of tax shelters and financial advisers which makes the tax impact on his 12 million minimal and that would be more than likely be covered by his huge increase in endorsements. So you had one valid point, he might fear the media, but you're guessing, so you basically just said nothing but fiction.

Last edited:

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
EDM
WPG
CGY
VAN
ARI
NJD
CAR
COL
PHI
MIN

No sense in EK putting Atlantic teams on the list because unfortunately I think the Sens management/Melnyk still expects this to be a playoff team going forward and won't do anything to weaken their position further in the division. Obviously not this year, but Melnyk doesn't like missing out on his playoff revenue. So this list maximizes his ability to dictate where he would go. You could put a handful of playoff bubble teams in the 9/10 spots, it's just personal preference there.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He would probably prefer to not move again after the 2019 season if he can make it work, so I don't think it would be outlandish to think that he would prefer to go to a team that is more secure in its finances. Nothing against the Jets organization here, but they are a small market with small market income.

??????

If anything these past few years have shown the opposite.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You are aware they get paid in US dollars so that a weak Canadian dollar mean his money would go further? Clearly you are not aware of tax shelters and financial advisers which makes the tax impact on his 12 million minimal and that would be more than likely be covered by his huge increase in endorsements. So you had one valid point, he might fear the media, but your guessing, so you basically just said nothing but fiction.
Melnyk hates the leafs would never trade him to Toronto plus Toronto wouldn't give up the pieces needed to acquire Karlsson

Evergreen

1. Arizona
2. Florida
3. Winnipeg
4. Vancouver
5. NY Islanders
6. New Jersey
7. Vegas
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Montreal

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
All the Canadian teams. He doesn't like the public attention.
Add Vegas cause you don't know if this good year is going to continue since it wasn't designed to. Carolina and Arizona are budget strapped. Finish with Buffalo because of similar situation to Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad