Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Montreal - spotlight when struggling, team seems to be in a state of misdirection
NY Islanders - location uncertainty, history of being bad, risk of losing their only other superstar to free agency
Vancouver - rebuilding
Arizona - rebuilding with no shown improvement
Buffalo - see Arizona
Winnipeg - Location, perceived weather issues among many, owners with spending limit
Colorado - see Arizona
New Jersey - not sure, even though they are improving they still seem to be seen as a bad team by many. Lots of misconceptions that could have them on the list
Calgary - Location/travel times, old junky arena, media spotlight could be a deterrent as with any Canadian team.
Vegas - too new, despite their success this year they are still probably years away from contending - few "core" pieces to build a contender around so far. Good depth, lots of good players, but no "great" players to lead the charge to a cup win.

HM - any west coast team (travel)

I left Edmonton off for the McDavid factor and the new arena, and Florida off for the tax break factor.

Re: Winnipeg

Not saying Winnipeg is a likely destination because I doubt they are, but ...

Spending limit???? Do you know who their owner is? They've never been afraid of paying up to keep talent. That comment holds no merit.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Montreal don't have the pieces to aquire a superstar like #65.

My guess would be.

Buffalo
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver
Florida
Arizona
Toronto
Islanders

Last one is hard.

New Jersey?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
A lot of people are listing Winnipeg as a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think he'd bother to list teams that wouldn't trade for him. Considering Trouba/Byfuglien and the wealth of young talent that'll need bigger contracts in the next few years, they clearly don't have room for him.

Maybe it's just me but I think any team that trades for Karlsson ends up significantly worse, giving up lots of (good young) depth and wrecking their cap structure. I don't want any team I cheer for to make that deal

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I actually don't think Buffalo would be on his 10, for two reasons. Supposedly he likes the area and the chances of Ottawa trading him in the division are slim to none.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I would love to see him in Washington. Caps actually could put together a decent offer for him too.

Orpik would have to be included in any trade for Salary Cap reason

Lucas Johansen, 2017 and 2018 First, Orpik

Johansen is a high end defense prospect, already be looked at as a future number 1, two firsts always help with the rebuild

I don't think that would work salary wise, Karlsson make 1 million more than Orpik. So maybe Bowey+ instead of Johansen, or just throw in Pelly/Connolly.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
As an Ottawa fan I would not be OK with this. McLeod and a couple of firsts are all unknowns. Zacha has put up extremely underwhelming numbers. Severson is a nice piece don't get me wrong but he can't be the only legit NHL talent coming back in a deal for Karlsson.

IMO Ottawa would let teams negotiate with Karlsson before a trade to maximize their return (obviously assuming they know he isn't staying in Ottawa 100%). With that in mind I'd want Hischier+ in any deal with NJ.

I don't think Ottawa is getting a bigger package of "futures" then the one proposed by EJ Hradek, from a team who can actually fit him in their cap without having to dump a bad contract the other way.

If the Devils can work out some type of contract extension, they're not giving up Hischier to get EK cause we're not really a legit contender ATM and losing our #1 center would just create a bigger void up front.

The Sens are stuck in no man's land ATM, meaning that everyone knows their owner is tight money wise, probably won't be able to give what Karlsson will demand (and deserves in all honesty) and the team is stuck in a downward spiral, so I don't see why anyone would give up a Nico Hischier type player for Karlsson.

Severson is locked up to a very solid deal for the next 6 years, Zacha or Mcleod are two young prospects with top #6 potential and adding two 1st round picks to help a rebuild are two solid assets to either move up in the draft, acquire a young player via trades or just load up your prospect pool.

Nov 24, 2006
A lot of people are listing Winnipeg as a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think he'd bother to list teams that wouldn't trade for him. Considering Trouba/Byfuglien and the wealth of young talent that'll need bigger contracts in the next few years, they clearly don't have room for him.

Maybe it's just me but I think any team that trades for Karlsson ends up significantly worse, giving up lots of (good young) depth and wrecking their cap structure. I don't want any team I cheer for to make that deal

I agree.

The Lindros trade is probably the best example of this. Philly gutted their team to get him and Colorado won the cup with those assets they gave up.

It's hard to acquire guys like this because they cost a fortune in assets and then salary. Hockey is a pure team sport, and one guy rarely makes or breaks the team. It's best to draft elite guys like Karlsson, McDavid, etc and retain them.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The other Canadian teams (high taxes, vicious media) and the US teams with poor management (Colorado, Arizona, Florida?).

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I would say leafs and habs are definitely not on the list. Why would karlsson waist 2 of 10 teams on this list knowing 100% that ottawa would never trade him to either team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Arizona, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Colorado, NYR, Carolina

Only reason why I picked the California teams is due to how far it is from Sweden.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Arizona
Buffalo
Calgary
Colorado
Florida
Islanders
New Jersey
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
So he wants a shot at a cup but Winnipeg Toronto NYI would be on his list? 3 teams who look like contenders at the moment?

Weird..

But id imagine Winnipeg Toronto and NYI wouldnt want to give up what it would take to get a 1.5 yr rental who looks like hes lost a step after his bone removal surgery

Reactions: IODCPiper

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Damn I didn’t realize it was a “No Trade” list. I thought it was a list of teams he’s willing to go to. Rags were on there twice because I really think that’s where he’ll wind up.
That would be sick but theres not way we can afford him, both in cap terms and in assets to give up.

But yeah i'm sure he like every other player would love to come to the Rangers.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
A lot of people are listing Winnipeg as a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think he'd bother to list teams that wouldn't trade for him. Considering Trouba/Byfuglien and the wealth of young talent that'll need bigger contracts in the next few years, they clearly don't have room for him
Byfuglien + Trouba + assets
for
Karlsson + Ceci

Byfuglien Trouba costs maybe $13-14 after Trouba's raise. Karlsson Ceci costs maybe $14-17 after both guys get a raise.

Only affects your cap structure by $1-3 million long term to add a future hall of fame defenseman. Is that not worth altering course for and MAKING room for?

Let's assume (in this salary cap discussion) that Winnipeg finds the additional asset cost to be reasonable and not too much.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't think Detroit would be on his list.
Alfie loved it here, EK and him are close. Karlsson probably grew up watching lidstrom. We have/had many swedes. We don't have the pieces to acquire him anyway. Don't have to cap space either.

Reactions: Red Winger 87

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't think Detroit would be on his list.
Alfie loved it here, EK and him are close. Karlsson probably grew up watching lidstrom. We have/had many swedes. We don't have the pieces to acquire him anyway. Don't have to cap space either.
Yeah i agree i don't see Detroit being on his list, Loads of Swedes plus Detroit should be able to offer him quite a bit after next summer hopefully we land fellow Swede Dahlin on top and it makes his decision much easier.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Montreal - spotlight when struggling, team seems to be in a state of misdirection
NY Islanders - location uncertainty, history of being bad, risk of losing their only other superstar to free agency
Vancouver - rebuilding
Arizona - rebuilding with no shown improvement
Buffalo - see Arizona
Winnipeg - Location, perceived weather issues among many, owners with spending limit
Colorado - see Arizona
New Jersey - not sure, even though they are improving they still seem to be seen as a bad team by many. Lots of misconceptions that could have them on the list
Calgary - Location/travel times, old junky arena, media spotlight could be a deterrent as with any Canadian team.
Vegas - too new, despite their success this year they are still probably years away from contending - few "core" pieces to build a contender around so far. Good depth, lots of good players, but no "great" players to lead the charge to a cup win.

HM - any west coast team (travel)

I left Edmonton off for the McDavid factor and the new arena, and Florida off for the tax break factor.
I don't know if anyone else covered this, but this is wrong. It's been repeatedly stated as wrong.

Oh, I see that just on this last page of the thread that multiple people have said this. It's worth repeating though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't forget about the high taxes!

It's a factor but Karlsson will make that team overpay if they have a higher tax bracket vs another team that is interested with lower taxes. He is coming from Ottawa which is near the high end with taxes for NHL cities I believe.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Byfuglien + Trouba + assets
for
Karlsson + Ceci

Byfuglien Trouba costs maybe $13-14 after Trouba's raise. Karlsson Ceci costs maybe $14-17 after both guys get a raise.

Only affects your cap structure by $1-3 million long term to add a future hall of fame defenseman. Is that not worth altering course for and MAKING room for?

Let's assume (in this salary cap discussion) that Winnipeg finds the additional asset cost to be reasonable and not too much.
That asset from Winnipeg had better be high, Why? Would Ottawa want an aging Byfuglien making $7.6 million for the next 4 years or so. And Trouba isn't leaving a upswing team like Winnipeg for an Ottawa team on the decline. And your price for Karlsson+Ceci seems to low Karlsson alone could command around $12 million to $13 million and Ceci will be seeking a nice raise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad