Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Panthers
Hurricanes
Vegas - next season they'll come back down to earth.
Arizona
Buffalo
Colorado
Montreal
Detroit
Vancouver
Islanders - probably cause Tavares is leaving after the season is over.

I think he'd help turn Edmonton around so he'd accept a trade there & the passes Karlsson does will help their underperforming bottom 6 forwards produce more, if they find a taker for Lucic & with the cap going up Edmonton should be able to find a backup goalie to keep Talbot rested. Karlsson, Larsson & Sekera thats a good top 3 D-men for Edmonton, add Dahlin to that group & things are really looking up for Edmonton's D

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Panthers
Hurricanes
Vegas - next season they'll come back down to earth.
Arizona
Buffalo
Colorado
Montreal
Detroit
Vancouver
Islanders - probably cause Tavares is leaving after the season is over.

I think he'd help turn Edmonton around so he'd accept a trade there & the passes Karlsson does will help their underperforming bottom 6 forwards produce more, if they find a taker for Lucic & with the cap going up Edmonton should be able to find a backup goalie to keep Talbot rested. Karlsson, Larsson & Sekera thats a good top 3 D-men for Edmonton, add Dahlin to that group & things are really looking up for Edmonton's D

He'd definitely have an impact there, but I doubt it happens. I don't think he'll stay in Canada.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The price is so steep that its not worth it yet imo as the team trading for him loses alot & they could just wait til next seasons trade deadline when he's only got like 30 games left with Ottawa before hitting FA market. At that point the team acquiring him will give up less but still giving up a bit & it makes the net gain to their roster much better than acquiring him right now.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I see several people think the Kings would be on his no trade list, and to that I ask why? Think about it, the Kings are not trading for him (lack of assets, no cap space), so keeping them in the possible teams and adding a different team that he doesn't want to go to that might actually trade for him makes a ton more sense.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My guess:

Buffalo
Calgary
Carolina
Colorado
Edmonton
New Jersey
NY Islanders
Vancouver
Vegas
Winnipeg

I don't think some of the weaker teams like Arizona and Florida need to be listed as they're highly unlikely to trade for EK. I don't think some teams like Montreal, Toronto and Boston need to be listed as Ottawa will be very hesitant to trade in division IMO. I think some middle of the pack teams are also highly unlikely to swing a deal as well like Anaheim and San Jose.

I've tried to focus my list on the average to below average teams that might have the available pieces to swing a trade if they desired to, while leaving the unlikely destinations off. Effectively expanding that 10 team NTC out to 20 or so teams. Some of the teams I included I think are highly unlikely to be interested in trading for EK, but I thought their potential was slightly higher then some of the teams I left off the list.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to have him as a Jets but it’s very very unlikely. Buff has a big contract already, Trouba needs a big raise and so does Josh M. Toby is gone this summer, Myers could be traded to free up cap. No interest in EK unless he has a new contract signed already, then only maybe depending on the contract. Plus I have no clue what the Jets would give up to get him. If it’s too much then it’s not worth it tbh.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I see several people think the Kings would be on his no trade list, and to that I ask why? Think about it, the Kings are not trading for him (lack of assets, no cap space), so keeping them in the possible teams and adding a different team that he doesn't want to go to that might actually trade for him makes a ton more sense.

I don't think players think of that sort of thing. Or don't prioritize it anyway. The only real reason to put LA on there is travel in my opinion - but even then, I'm not sure if they should put LA ahead of Anaheim. Or San Jose, if Melker wasn't there.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I wonder if players and their agents think of the feasibility of acquiring a player when forming their no trade list. As other posters have said, he shouldn't need to put Toronto/Montréal/other divisional rivals on his list since he knows that the GM would never trade him there.

Also, it'd be near impossible for teams like the Hawks, the Pens or the Flames to acquire him since they lack the pieces/are pressed on the cap. I think realistically there are only like 10 places that could make an offer that would interest Ottawa for a trade.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I hate to say it, but I think he winds up on Tampa.

I would love him here but just don’t see it. I would do Sergachev, Johnson, 1st, conditional 2nd later if he re-signs. I think the Sens would get way better offers than that.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I would love him here but just don’t see it. I would do Sergachev, Johnson, 1st, conditional 2nd later if he re-signs. I think the Sens would get way better offers than that.

I meant that I think he'll sign with them when he hits UFA, not that they'll trade for him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
0 need for Erik Karlsson in WPG?

Talk about arrogance. Funny what a stretch of wins does to a fanbase.

Are you judging an entire fan base by one posters response? As a Leaf fan yourself pretty sure that’s not the opinion you want to have.

Reactions: Heldig

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I meant that I think he'll sign with them when he hits UFA, not that they'll trade for him.

Oh well that would be swell. We still have to re-sign Kucherov and Point. Fitting Karlsson in would need all three to take less than market value. Kucherov already took a discount. I think we will probably pay him very well for that. He may take a discount if he thinks Karlsson has interest to come. Then you also have to get Karlsson to take less than market value. If Point keeps his play up he’s going to get a nice raise. Tough to say. Would love to see him play next to Hedman here.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I don't think players think of that sort of thing. Or don't prioritize it anyway. The only real reason to put LA on there is travel in my opinion - but even then, I'm not sure if they should put LA ahead of Anaheim. Or San Jose, if Melker wasn't there.

Shouldn't his agent be thinking that way?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You'd think that one of those guys would need to be part of the package going back to Ottawa, no?

Jets can’t afford EK, plus our current D core. Myers, Kuli and Toby would all have to go or at least Toby & one of Myers/Kuli. We wouldn’t trade anything for EK unless he had a new reasonable contract this summer. EK signed would cost too much in young players to trade for imo. I wouldn’t aggressively go after him, likely kick the tires to find out the price and then walk away from it. Seen some crazy prices here being suggested.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Shouldn't his agent be thinking that way?
Sure, his agent should be presenting a lot of scenarios to him, but if I'm the player it still comes down to what city and/or team I'd rather play for and move my city too. Even if its for a year, I wouldn't want to risk getting moved to a bottom feeder in a crappy city with a crappy rink. Leaving a team that you don't want to play for off the list because "they might not be able to trade for me" is a pretty big gamble considering how much it will affect his life.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jets can’t afford EK, plus our current D core. Myers, Kuli and Toby would all have to go or at least Toby & one of Myers/Kuli. We wouldn’t trade anything for EK unless he had a new reasonable contract this summer. EK signed would cost too much in young players to trade for imo. I wouldn’t aggressively go after him, likely kick the tires to find out the price and then walk away from it. Seen some crazy prices here being suggested.
Well sure, but that's a lot different than "not having room" or "not needing" him, which is what I was addressing.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I see a lot of Toronto and Montreal. I have a feeling Karlsson would love to be moved within the division (not Buffalo) so he could have the opportunity to stick it to the Sens as many times as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad