Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Jersey would be such a beautiful fit - but I have no clue what’d we would have to give up for him, even with the value of a 10-team list and a single contract year left.

Id offer Severson+2018 1st+Quenneville, would that suffice?
You wouldn't have enough fingers to count all the offers that would beat that one if Karlsson was truly on the market.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
You wouldn't have enough fingers to count all the offers that would beat that one if Karlsson was truly on the market.
I very much doubt thered be many offers for a single year of Karlsson. And no this isnt a ‘well wed have a deal ready’

My offer is strictly for a single year and the chance to re-sign him. Not for an extended Karlsson.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Karlsson is 1.5 years away from UFA. At that point he can decide whichever place he wants to live and play for the rest of his career. In the meantime, if he's smart he'll avoid places where he'll have a hard time producing and winning in the next year or two, because those will affect his next contract.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I very much doubt thered be many offers for a single year of Karlsson. And no this isnt a ‘well wed have a deal ready’

My offer is strictly for a single year and the chance to re-sign him. Not for an extended Karlsson.

And Ottawa would rightfully decline. That offer doesn't come close to enticing the Sens to move Karlsson. Yes, its only 1 year guaranteed, but that is 1-year with exclusive renegotiation rights for likely the best defenseman in the game.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
1. Arizona
2. Vancouver
3. Vegas
4. Colarado
5. Detroit
6. Islanders
7. Buffalo
8. Florida
9. Carolina
10. Up in the air -- Montreal/Toronto/Edmonton would occupy this slot I imagine

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1.EDM
2.CGY
3.WPG
4.VAN
5.TOR
6.MTL
7.BUF
8.ARZ
9.NYI
10.FLA
(Honourable Mention: COL)

It's been said that Karlsson doesn't like playing in a hockey crazy Canadian market where he can't take a dump without being asked for a picture. I'm guessing, unless he is going to stay in Ottawa due to the roots he has here already (wife's family, a decade of living here), that he would not want to start over with another Canadian team.

Islanders are on the list due to the instability of their arena situation.

The other 3-4 teams are either teams that have missed the playoffs multiple years in a row, or are budget teams who may not be able to pay him and remain competitive. Judging by what Karlsson has said over the last few weeks, winning is one of his biggest priorities.

I don't think he'd want to go somewhere like TOR or EDM just to win, because there are places like TBL or NSH, both teams are perpetual playoff teams, and both are in quieter markets in terms of hockey stardom.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

I'd be shocked if every other Canadian team wasn't on his list. The other 4 would probably be places he/his agent thinks deals are likely to happen, so he can have control.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Arizona
4. SAN Jose
5. Buffalo
6. Carolina
7. Vegas
8. Boston
9. Colorado
10. Detroit

Nov 24, 2006
It's been said that Karlsson doesn't like playing in a hockey crazy Canadian market where he can't take a dump without being asked for a picture. I'm guessing, unless he is going to stay in Ottawa due to the roots he has here already (wife's family, a decade of living here), that he would not want to start over with another Canadian team.

I know that feeling, all too well.

Reactions: Alex Martinez

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Karlsson would have Montreal or Toronto on his list, not because he would want to go to Montreal or Toronto necessarily but because realistically theres no way that Dorion would trade him there

Well it would depend on his mind set. Knowing that, he may purposely leave them off his list adding 2 more no trade teams.

It was widely speculated that Kessel and Phaneuf both structured their modified NTC so that only teams at the cap ceiling or divisional rivals got the green light. It was a calculated move by them as most the teams on their list could not afford them (Pitts), or were teams that they assumed they wouldnt be traded too (Ott).

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd wager his actual list would look much different than the teams most people are putting on their list. Arizona seems to be on everyones list, but there is no way Arizona would even bother trying to trade for him. The list would be contending teams or big hockey markets he doesn't want to play for.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
1. Arizona
2. Vancouver
3. Vegas
4. Colarado
5. Detroit
6. Islanders
7. Buffalo
8. Florida
9. Carolina
10. Up in the air -- Montreal/Toronto/Edmonton would occupy this slot I imagine

id say Edmonton, because effectively he gets a 12 team list. Ottawa I don't think would ever trade to a divisional rival in eastern Canada optically they will be helping a fierce rival win and if they did offer to Montreal or Toronto the in division price would be higher scarign those 2 off

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well it would depend on his mind set. Knowing that, he may purposely leave them off his list adding 2 more no trade teams.

It was widely speculated that Kessel and Phaneuf both structured their modified NTC so that only teams at the cap ceiling or divisional rivals got the green light. It was a calculated move by them as most the teams on their list could not afford them (Pitts), or were teams that they assumed they wouldnt be traded too (Ott).

The only reason for Erik Karlsson to do this is if he wants to stay in Ottawa really badly, and suspects the Senators have decided that trading him is their best move to remain competitive rather than paying him 10.5M-12.5M per season on an 8 year contract.

In the scenario Karlsson is currently in, he's better off just naming off places he doesn't want to go to, because otherwise he would potentially manufacture a situation where he has to move twice in a 1.5 year span, rather than manufacturing a situation where he has to move once and is then setup for the next 8 years in the same place as he will without a doubt get a full NMC.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
He and his agent could strategically choose 10 that really makes it more destinations he likely wouldn't be traded to.

I don't think he'd need to waste a spot on Toronto or Montreal. He could also probably leave off low budget teams that would not waste the assets to have him one year. Example Arizona and Florida.

There may be a couple of teams that couldn't trade for him for cap reasons.

He also just has to have his agent tell the potential acquiring team he has not interest in signing an extension there and that would scare away a few more.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Here's where the monkey wrench gets thrown into any no-trade list: If it's true that he's really, truly after money, he'll waive for the highest bidder, no matter the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pierre Mcguire basically said on the radio in Ottawa that this was made up to begin with. Also why on earth would the sens ask him to do this while they are potentially in the middle of the sale of the team. It makes no sense but wishfull thinking and an attempt to sabotage the sens even more.

If he's leaving Ottawa I can guarantee his wife wont want to stay in Canada, so all the pipe dreams of him going to a Canadian team or a small market team not in a warm climate are not coming to fruition.

His wifes family is highly influential in Ottawa and in the Karlssons relationship. They are going to have their first child soon. If the team is sold to a new ownership group spear headed by Alfie he is guaranteed to stay in Ottawa.

If I were to guess though what his 10 teams would be this is what I would bet on.

Nashville
Florida
Tampa
Vegas
L.A
Anaheim
NYR
New Jersey
Dallas
Chicago

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano