Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
who's hiring is this? Todd's or Chia and company? If it's Chia i'd be walking on eggshells if I were Todd....
It's the organization's hire, and I suspect they both consulted each other about he available options. They're also both professionals and understand the situation they are in.

Reactions: AVE MAN

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Rishaug says the Oilers were aggressive in their coaching search and spent some money to get these guys. This is very non-Oiler like.

If MV is the final assistant added it will be the first time in the NHL history of the franchise that at least one former Oilers player wasn't on the coaching staff.

Reactions: subnet and Aerrol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rishaug says the Oilers were aggressive in their coaching search and spent some money to get these guys. This is very non-Oiler like.

If MV is the final assistant added it will be the first time in the NHL history of the franchise that at least one former Oilers player wasn't on the coaching staff.

MV was actually an Oiler draft choice but was traded before playing for the team.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Wasn't coach McLellan the third highest paid(2nd highest active) coach in the NHL? After Babcock and Bylsma. All 3 not coincidentally signed to contracts in the same summer.

Katz has come with a bunch of baggage but he has never been unwilling to spend money.

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wasn't coach McLellan the third highest paid(2nd highest active) coach in the NHL? After Babcock and Bylsma. All 3 not coincidentally signed to contracts in the same summer.

Katz has come with a bunch of baggage but he has never been unwilling to spend money.
Yeah but for assistants they usually just give the jobs to friends. I'm shocked Coffey didn't weasel his way onto the staff.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

*head explodes*

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah but for assistants they usually just give the jobs to friends. I'm shocked Coffey didn't weasel his way onto the staff.

Do they though? we have a prior history of this yes but the story for Eakins and McLellan was always they the assistants were their call from the get go.

Until now in the latter case anyway.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I wish we'd do that with pro scouts and development coaching as well. GMGM really made a point to talk about how that helped them out

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Do they though? we have a prior history of this yes but the story for Eakins and McLellan was always they the assistants were their call from the get go.

Until now in the latter case anyway.
Eakins was forced to keep Buchberger and Smith on his staff for his first season here. McLellan just brought his two assistants from San Jose when he came to Edmonton. It looks like an actual search was conducted this time to fill the positions.

Reactions: Aerrol and oXo Cube

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Eakins was forced to keep Buchberger and Smith on his staff for his first season here. McLellan just brought his two assistants from San Jose when he came to Edmonton. My point is an actual search was conducted this time to fill the positions.

Fair enough. That's not how I remember the Eakins search going but I'm willing to acknowledge a potential problem of faulty memory.

McLellan brought his assistants from SJ because he was the head coach and that's who he wanted.

I'm happy with the hires in any case.

Reactions: Del Preston

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I can't believe there are a couple of people nitpicking over the how's and whys of these potential hires.

from everything I've read in the media and from posters here, these seem like solid, skilled coaches that we should be thrilled to have. not a questionable hire in the bunch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't believe there are a couple of people nitpicking over the how's and whys of these potential hires.

from everything I've read in the media and from posters here, these seem like solid, skilled coaches that we should be thrilled to have. not a questionable hire in the bunch.
I can somewhat see nitpicking on Gulutzan, but Yawney seems like such a good hire that I'd think people should be able to overlook any of the bad associated with Gulutzan.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018

I am questioning the GG hire. Now that I hear MV had an impressive pp I am more at ease. But I see GG as redundant at this point.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
It's kind of hilarious how calgarys head coach last year is now one of our assistants. Assuming he will go hard to get himself back into a head coaching gig, so that's good.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad