Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know we've got a ton of coaching threads going on but I feel like this is worthy of a new one. On his show today Gregor said that he's got a very good source that says Gulutzan and Yawney are "signed, sealed and delivered" to be assistants here. Sounds like there could be an announcement Friday or Monday. The timing of the announcement could hinge on Swift Current's result at the Memorial Cup tonight as there's lots of speculation that their head coach Manny Viveiros could be the third assistant, but Gregor didn't mention that explicitly.

Personally I'm really excited about these potential hirings, really wanna see what Yawney can do with all the young dmen with his track record.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So apparently GG can bark at refs when we're getting screwed and run a good PK. Yawney can run a solid D corps and PK, now we need a PP and ES guy as well as someone that can call timeouts and match lines for Todd so that the Koala can do what he's best at which is?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So apparently GG can bark at refs when we're getting screwed and run a good PK. Yawney can run a solid D corps and PK, now we need a PP and ES guy as well as someone that can call timeouts and match lines for Todd so that the Koala can do what he's best at which is?

Todd is good at teaching overall systems and defensive structure. Also pretty good at motivating the players, or he seemed so last season. Less so this one. I still think if he could ever learn to adjust in-game he'd be a pretty great coach in this league. As is, his stubbornness is a pretty serious flaw.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Looking forward to seeing this crew. TMac needs this to elevate his coaching game and bring different perspectives. MV would be a great 4th addition to the staff. Excited about this change.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Great. Now McLellan knows he won’t have a free pass throughout the season since we have quality assistant coaches who can fill his role. Really hope one of them can get something out of Looch and give Pulju confidence.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If this is true it makes sense that while Nelson is looking at joining an NHL staff the Oilers are out

GG is clearly the head coach in waiting.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
cSTRziw.gif

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

As I mentioned before, koala populations are surprisingly inundated with gonnorea

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Well I guess if practice is sluggish and a stick needs to be thrown into the stands then McLellan can point at GG and say "You do you, Gully. I need to take a leak."

At least now we know that if October 2018 is the same as October 2017, the Oilers have their 'till end of season' replacement in GG.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What's kind of funny (at least to me) is both Yawney and Gulutzan are from Hudson Bay, SK...a town with a population of about 1200-1500 roughly.

Reactions: Night Witch

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really hard to paint this in a negative light.
Very solid signings IMO. If the team isnt on the ice this is about as good as it gets in May. :nod:

Reactions: Gord and KYams17

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's kind of funny (at least to me) is both Yawney and Gulutzan are from Hudson Bay, SK...a town with a population of about 1200-1500 roughly.

Do you think that they may have run into each other once or twice there growing up in a town of that massive size?

:)

Really hard to paint this in a negative light.
Very solid signings IMO. If the team isnt on the ice this is about as good as it gets in May. :nod:

IIRC you live in Calgary and watch your fair share of Flames games, what are GG's strengths and weaknesses?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IIRC you live in Calgary and watch your fair share of Flames games, what are GG's strengths and weaknesses?

I have watched a few Flames games just because I enjoy NHL hockey but to be honest its hard to watch that team when you're an Oilers fan. :D

From what I did see and primarily what I heard (from some media members that were close to the team) is that GG is a players coach first and foremost. He really seems to be able to connect with the players. I heard that the ownership/management group in Calgary thought that he was too much of a players coach which is why they let him go. Peters is thought to be more of a hard ass (sort of halfway between Hartley and GG) which is what they wanted.

GG was very respected in Calgary and I think he will be very valuable in terms of connecting with players and communicating systems.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I thought Gulatzan was from The Pas? Hudson Bay is about a hour and a half from where I live, so that’s pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad