Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I like these moves but it scares me that Gully will be the next head coach after McLellan is kicked to the curb.

I can't be the only one.

I'm not worried about it one bit.

If this is the coaching staff the Oilers have for next year, I think the Oilers will do well and there will be no curb kicking for McLellan. Oilers making these hires is very exciting.

then again, I also think we'll see a few bounce back years from players, too. I haven't thrown Sekera in the trash, for example.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah but for assistants they usually just give the jobs to friends. I'm shocked Coffey didn't weasel his way onto the staff.
From what we heard about how much work he actually put in, Coffey didn’t appear to be anymore interested in coaching this time around than he has been in the past. I wonder if him coming in last season was some sort of test for him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Fair enough. That's not how I remember the Eakins search going but I'm willing to acknowledge a potential problem of faulty memory.

McLellan brought his assistants from SJ because he was the head coach and that's who he wanted.

I'm happy with the hires in any case.
Mactavish said Eakins was free to choose his assistants but really hoped he’d keep Buchberger and Smith, wink wink. Nobody ever believed from the get go that it was Eakins choice, not that it would have mattered anyway.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If the Oilers fall flat in the first half of next year and McLellan gets canned I think they would promote him as the interim coach. It is not a bad thing to have a guy who has some experience in the role take over. But it would be a big mistake to simply appoint him ass the automatic successor beyond the end of next year.

I honestly have no sense of how good he really could be as a head coach. I think the Flames are a flawed team. I'm not so sure that he did not take them as far as his personnel would have allowed.

We had a worse team a few years prior and Hartley got us to the second round. Gulutzan is a bad coach. If he runs your PK you might see some benefit though. He's very good at the Xs and Os part of the game, just not anything pertaining to player motivation, usage, or generating high quality chances as opposed to just chances in general.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed except for the last line. Not at all sure what you mean by that. Are you implying that Todd isnt a hard worker?
I mispoke. Didn't mean he wasnt a harder worker. Just the hard work on these guys fighting to further career might push Todd to work hard on becoming a better coach and working on his flaws.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We had a worse team a few years prior and Hartley got us to the second round. Gulutzan is a bad coach. If he runs your PK you might see some benefit though. He's very good at the Xs and Os part of the game, just not anything pertaining to player motivation, usage, or generating high quality chances as opposed to just chances in general.
Then it's good that he isn't running the bench

Reactions: Cyrano

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wasn't part of Woodcroft's job to watch tape and come up with game plans and strategies? I remember hearing that he spent a lot of hours putting things together not only to help against the competition, but to show players where they were making good plays and bad plays.

I wonder if that will be what Glen does here

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
John Shannon saying Yawney and Gulutzan is a done deal. Viveiros announcement will come tomorrow

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If Viveiros is on the staff I'm guessing an announcement from the Oilers might coincide with this...

I wonder if we are hiring any other people from them? Keep in mind PC is in charge of everything including the Oil Kings. Is there potential for some guys to be brought over for them or maybe in some sort of scouting or development position?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if we are hiring any other people from them? Keep in mind PC is in charge of everything including the Oil Kings. Is there potential for some guys to be brought over for them or maybe in some sort of scouting or development position?
Maybe a new goalie coach for us?

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
I still think regardless of who is running our pp that we need to get a shooter on that #1 unit. Either a guy that can play like Ovi in the slot or someone with a shot from the point.

Yes maybe that is Klef or JP, but do we really need to hope again that the players we have can fill the hole?

Absolutely, I agree the Oilers are lacking that. It was typically Heponiemi, a lefty, who was the main shooter for the Broncos PP and it was usually a shot from around the half-wall, not the point. If Vivieros runs a similar PP set up with the Oilers, even if they don't pick up a proven shooter at least the Oilers have some talented lefties who may fit that role (which is admittedly not ideal as you said).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Absolutely, I agree the Oilers are lacking that. It was typically Heponiemi, a lefty, who was the main shooter for the Broncos PP and it was usually a shot from around the half-wall, not the point. If Vivieros runs a similar PP set up with the Oilers, even if they don't pick up a proven shooter at least the Oilers have some talented lefties who may fit that role (which is admittedly not ideal as you said).
And that's probably what one of the units will have to do regardless. Even if you bring in a shot from the point or if Klef gets his mojo back, you still have the other unit that isn't going to have a point shot.

I guess having the ability to run different PP's is going to be key.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
how close?

would i want him as hc? no.

did i want the koala? Yes? Was kind of skeptical but yes.

The fart in the fog in this whole scenario is who the **** is the goalie coach?

Maybe a new goalie coach for us?

Schwartz kept his job.

Edmonton Oilers fire pair of assistant coaches, reassign another to AHL

Schwartz, who has an excellent working relationship with Cam Talbot, and video coach Jeremy Coupal will be back on McLellan’s staff while the head man looks for replacements for his assistants.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
GG is a better assistant than head coach. Don't like this move in a Flames POV. I think when GG can do his own thing on the side and not be entirely in charge of the players, then he can get a lot out of them. I expect Edmonton to bounce back with a better coaching staff in place.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting. Not a big fan of the move but not dead set against it. Coaching is also largely voodoo and so hard for fans to actually see what impact the coach has with players

Not a fan of Guluztan mostly because he reminds me of Eakins. He seems incredibly hard headed and wants to be the smartest guy in the room at all times. He ran some absolutely dumb defensive pairings for Calgary for long periods and pretty much sunk the team during those times.

That being said, Calgary had abysmal luck this year, especially in the last half of the year. So a part of me does think GG getting fired might have been a rush to judgement to blame the failed year on somebody.

However, again this move screams lazy to me as they just hired a former head coach and didnt appear to do much searching. But again, its assistant coaches so how much impact do they really have

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Honestly I wondered about Schwartz, but then I read he was the guy pushing for Skinner at the draft. Guy has some value if that is true.

Yep, that is 100% true...it was on the Oilers site when they traded two picks to whoever for the 3rd round pick to snag Skinner. It's about half way down the article.

Hometown Oilers trade up for Skinner

Yikes. He has a good relationship with Talbot but every coach he has worked here with has gotten worse and learned the same bad habits.

I'm kind of surprised Schwartz stayed on as well as I share the same opinion as you. But, Talbot worked with Schwartz in 16-17 when he was knocking on the Vezina's door...after much debate with myself, I think Talbot, like other Oilers had problems mainly between the ears. The other problems stemmed from team personnel.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yep, that is 100% true...it was on the Oilers site when they traded two picks to whoever for the 3rd round pick to snag Skinner. It's about half way down the article.

Hometown Oilers trade up for Skinner

I'm kind of surprised Schwartz stayed on as well as I share the same opinion as you. But, Talbot worked with Schwartz in 16-17 when he was knocking on the Vezina's door...after much debate with myself, I think Talbot, like other Oilers had problems mainly between the ears. The other problems stemmed from team personnel.

There are tools for that now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->