Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
If Viveiros is actually joining the coaching staff, I'm optimistic for an improved Oilers power play next season. The Swift Current power play was so deadly this year. They moved the puck so quickly to get lanes opened up. Their PP (and Skinner) were, imo, the main reasons the Broncos reached the Memorial Cup.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's kind of hilarious how calgarys head coach last year is now one of our assistants. Assuming he will go hard to get himself back into a head coaching gig, so that's good.

We would probably do well to not forget that a lot of us laughed at GG for doing a questionable job though.

Not that that means he has nothing to offer in a reduced role, of course.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
i thought i remember hearing somewhere that the reason the ducks did not re-up Yawney was because he didn't coach the D to play an attacking and quick pace but more of a slower and pass oriented type style which i think at least the ducks felt is not where the NHL is going.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
These moves won’t matter if Todd loses control of his bench again.

He has a history of poor bench management, like sending mcdavid out for a big face off in Anaheim. Keeping timeouts. The line blender didn’t help, players seemed confused what their role is. Players succeed with defined roles, which likely bled into the PK and PP struggles.

Players went from healthy scratch to first line.

A lot of us were excited to see a Lucic Leon slep line. Todd stubbornly kept Leon with mcdavid, sometimes even with nuge injured.

Talbot lost confidence early, when Todd pulled him quickly.

JP barely saw PP time. Which raises the question why was he hear if not used properly.

20 players had down years under a stubborn Todd.

Todd started the year with a quote of our 5th ranked power play wasn’t good enough. The negativity in the dressing room was obvious. The team was squeezing their sticks.

Reactions: AVE MAN

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Viveiros is actually joining the coaching staff, I'm optimistic for an improved Oilers power play next season. The Swift Current power play was so deadly this year. They moved the puck so quickly to get lanes opened up. Their PP (and Skinner) were, imo, the main reasons the Broncos reached the Memorial Cup.
I still think regardless of who is running our pp that we need to get a shooter on that #1 unit. Either a guy that can play like Ovi in the slot or someone with a shot from the point.

Yes maybe that is Klef or JP, but do we really need to hope again that the players we have can fill the hole?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I can't see how any of this is bad.

GG lost his job in Calgary and is now an associate coach. He is going to work his ass off in hopes he can get another head coaching job.

Yawney is a proven defensive coach and his record speaks for itself.

Viverios had a great season and is going to want to prove himself at the pro level.

That's going to be a lot of hard work that will hopefully rub off on Todd.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still think regardless of who is running our pp that we need to get a shooter on that #1 unit. Either a guy that can play like Ovi in the slot or someone with a shot from the point.

Yes maybe that is Klef or JP, but do we really need to hope again that the players we have can fill the hole?
If Pulju has a decent summer and the PP coach sees the potential in him, he can absolutely fill that spot. And that's from a guy who isn't even a fan of his.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

GG lost his job in Calgary and is now an associate coach. He is going to work his ass off in hopes he can get another head coaching job.

Viverios had a great season and is going to want to prove himself at the pro level.

I have to agree

I'm very curious what kind of contract GG is getting. Is it a mutually year contract with an option to leave every year?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Pulju has a decent summer and the PP coach sees the potential in him, he can absolutely fill that spot. And that's from a guy who isn't even a fan of his.
By no means am I against it, but I don't want to just have him penciled in and have no backup plan. Force him to take it from someone. We need the special teams to be better, it lost us a lot of games last year. Not adding some talent to the PP would be a mistake.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Agreed except for the last line. Not at all sure what you mean by that. Are you implying that Todd isnt a hard worker?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I like these moves but it scares me that Gully will be the next head coach after McLellan is kicked to the curb.

I can't be the only one.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
These moves won’t matter if Todd loses control of his bench again.

He has a history of poor bench management, like sending mcdavid out for a big face off in Anaheim. Keeping timeouts. The line blender didn’t help, players seemed confused what their role is. Players succeed with defined roles, which likely bled into the PK and PP struggles.

Players went from healthy scratch to first line.

A lot of us were excited to see a Lucic Leon slep line. Todd stubbornly kept Leon with mcdavid, sometimes even with nuge injured.

Talbot lost confidence early, when Todd pulled him quickly.

JP barely saw PP time. Which raises the question why was he hear if not used properly.

20 players had down years under a stubborn Todd.

Todd started the year with a quote of our 5th ranked power play wasn’t good enough. The negativity in the dressing room was obvious. The team was squeezing their sticks.

This post makes no sense. Most of the players who had a down year last year under TMac had a banner season the year before. You place 100% of the blame on coaching none on the players?

I’m not saying TMac does not deserve a share of the criticism but the players deserve a massive dose as well, esp those that declined.

Reactions: guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like these moves but it scares me that Gully will be the next head coach after McLellan is kicked to the curb.

I can't be the only one.
Maybe interim. I really think he's TM's hiring more than PC's to be honest. These guys have been connected from the day he was fired.

Heck maybe if Yawney is the guy that gets interim role.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I can't be the only one.

If the Oilers fall flat in the first half of next year and McLellan gets canned I think they would promote him as the interim coach. It is not a bad thing to have a guy who has some experience in the role take over. But it would be a big mistake to simply appoint him ass the automatic successor beyond the end of next year.

I honestly have no sense of how good he really could be as a head coach. I think the Flames are a flawed team. I'm not so sure that he did not take them as far as his personnel would have allowed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This post makes no sense. Most of the players who had a down year last year under TMac had a banner season the year before. You place 100% of the blame on coaching none on the players?

I’m not saying TMac does not deserve a share of the criticism but the players deserve a massive dose as well, esp those that declined.

The biggest issues last year for me were injuries to Klefbom, Larsson and Sekera as well as very substandard play by Talbot. The injuries are not really anyone's fault and goalies will have periods where they struggle. Other than those 4 I would say that the only guys who had down years were Lucic and Letestu. (Kassian perhaps as well but his role is not so significant). I could actually understand the reluctance to give up on Lucic but the stubbornness in going back to the well over and over again with Letestu was hard to fathom.

Reactions: Night Witch

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I just get a little tired of stuff being made up just to support a narrative.
Todd not being a hard worker (if thats the assertion) is clearly BS.
Work smarter not harder might be applicable with the oilers coaches last year. They worked hard supposedly...but weren't wise enough to figure out many things as admitted by tmac

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Because it's easier to assume they didn't because it sticks with the "slap-dash/incompetence" narrative I've decided is true....basically.
Seriously? It’s hard to make an argument they’ve done anything competently in decades. Not sure why you’d feel the need to call people out for questioning anything they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad