Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They still need that big shot down low. The PP system last season was certainly an issue (why was Drai not in the slot?, why was Lucic not parked in front?, too stagnant etc.) but it's going to be very difficult to be a top PP without a one shot scorer.
Believe it or not, Lestestu's one timer was a big reason why the PP succeeded 2 seasons ago, it gave the Oilers a one shot scorer option and opened up space for McDavid and Drai because teams started respecting Letestu's shot. All the good PPs have that guy, do the Oilers? Pulju could be that guy but he's still too raw to be counted on so I wonder who they slot there next season.

They have some issues on their PP. I agree they need someone who can shoot the puck.

I really think in order for it to be successful, that McDavid has to shoot sometimes just to keep things less predictable. Have a guy sit in front of the net and screen the goalie. McDavid should take some shots when the goalies screened. He needs to trust his shot more.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Completely agree on missing that shot, but Draisaitl has shown a killer one timer and as you said Pulju could be that guy.

That said, the Pens have made their power play work with both Letang and Schultz out and I figure we could do the same. Mcdavid or Drai in the Crosby role, Drai or McDavid one timing like Malkin and RNH playing the floating shot option. That worked fairly well for them though McDavid probably needs to further up his shot for it to click.

At the very least we can do far better than the abomination of last year lol.

Drai makes his money on the PP in the slot in closer quarters, getting off that quick wrister similar to Schiefele. He's not very accurate with his slapshot so I'd rather not see him in that role.

The Oilers don't really have a player with an accurate hard slapper. Pulju has a hard shot but he hasn't learned how to get his shot off quickly and accurately, that should come with confidence but it's a big question mark right now. As you said, they could use RNH in a floating role where he can sneak in down low from the one time spot but I don't see him being that guy regularly. Maybe the Oilers can sign somebody like Pirri, I don't know.

The Pens can make due with their Dman QBs out because they have Kessel and Malkin who are always a threat to score with their shot. All good PPs have those guys. Ovi, Stamkos, Pastrnak, Laine, Giroux, Pastrnak, Neal etc.
In the meantime, they need to put Drai in the slot, Lucic needs to park his big fat butt in front of the goalie and stay there, Klef needs to be healthy and McDavid needs to present the threat of a shot. All of those things were non-existent last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->