Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I would like to hire Mark Hunter to become an AGM with the Oilers so that he could take the reign from Chiarelli when he fails.

If the Oilers suck again, one of those coaches would become an interim head coach, then if they continue to suck then Mark Hunter GM.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They still desperately need someone to run the PP. Sounds like Viveiros might be that guy, don't know much about him but from what I've read he seems to do well with younger guys and I think his experience in Euro leagues will be beneficial with some of our younger Euro players.

As for the two hiring we know of, can't say I'm a fan of GG, he does have lots of experience but not much success. I also don't like that he's basically going to get handed the interim tag if and when Todd is let go next year. Don't mind the Yawney hiring, he seems to do an excellent job with young defenders.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would like to hire Mark Hunter to become an AGM with the Oilers so that he could take the reign from Chiarelli when he fails.

If the Oilers suck again, one of those coaches would become an interim head coach, then if they continue to suck then Mark Hunter GM.

What's so great about Mark Hunter?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If this is true it makes sense that while Nelson is looking at joining an NHL staff the Oilers are out

GG is clearly the head coach in waiting.
That ship sailed three years ago. You can only get screwed by the same organization so many times. Even less chance of him coming back with Mactavish still here.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Is this one of the better coaching staffs as a whole (if we get everyone rumored) we've had in the post glory days era? Which would you choose out of A, B, & C?

A. 2005-06 Oil (SC Finals appearance year)
Head coach= Craig MacTavish
Assistant coach= Bill Moores
Assistant coach= Craig Simpson
Assistant coach= Charlie Huddy

B. 2011-12 Oil
Head Coach= Tom Renney
Assistant coach= Ralph Krueger
Assistant coach= Steve Smith
Assistant coach= Kelly Buchberger

C. 2018-19 Oil?
Head Coach= Todd McLellan
Assistant coach= Glen Gulutzan
Assistant coach= Trent Yawney
Assistant coach= Emanuel Viveiros

Is this the first time where every coach on the coaching staff would have atleast one year of pro head coaching experience?

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
When McLellan and Gulutzan visited Humboldt, I noticed McLennan got to sit shotgun so I had a feeling this would get done. Excited to see how the new staff can work together.

Oct 15, 2008
Is this one of the better coaching staffs as a whole (if we get everyone rumored) we've had in the post glory days era? Which would you choose out of A, B, & C?

A. 2005-06 Oil (SC Finals appearance year)
Head coach= Craig MacTavish
Assistant coach= Bill Moores
Assistant coach= Craig Simpson
Assistant coach= Charlie Huddy

B. 2011-12 Oil
Head Coach= Tom Renney
Assistant coach= Ralph Krueger
Assistant coach= Steve Smith
Assistant coach= Kelly Buchberger

C. 2018-19 Oil?
Head Coach= Todd McLellan
Assistant coach= Glen Gulutzan
Assistant coach= Trent Yawney
Assistant coach= Emanuel Viveiros

Is this the first time where every coach on the coaching staff would have atleast one year of pro head coaching experience?

I like Ron Lowe. Anything with Crapt on it is lol- no.

Reactions: M Ace

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wonder how much the Humboldt tragedy and TMac and GG meeting there played into him getting hired.

As in, if they didn't meet, would he still be hired?

I'll wait and see how this goes though, but I'm optimistic on it. He seems similar to TMac, but with a bit more structure when it comes to the X's and O's

I for the most part didn't mind the system he used in Calgary 5 on 5 (quick breakouts, and passes to moving players, fairly uptempo). But I did notice that he didn't seem to adjust depending on the opponent (for example: having your defence stand up at the offensive blueline to keep pucks in vs. McDavid is a bad idea...)

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If we are able to have Gulutzan, Yawney and Viveiros behind the bench next year as assistants I will be extremely thrilled.

Manny will be a head coach in the NHL within the next 5 years, bank on it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wonder how much the Humboldt tragedy and TMac and GG meeting there played into him getting hired.

I'll wait and see how this goes though, but I'm optimistic on it. He seems similar to TMac, but with a bit more structure when it comes to the X's and O's

I for the most part didn't mind the system he used in Calgary 5 on 5 (quick breakouts, and passes to moving players, fairly uptempo). But I did notice that he didn't seem to adjust depending on the opponent (for example: having your defence stand up at the offensive blueline to keep pucks in vs. McDavid is a bad idea...)

Reminds me of MacT bumping into Nurse's dad in the washroom before the draft. This organization doesnt seem to do their due diligence when hiring. Is there even an interview process?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yes, because he was still the Flames coach then and it likely had no bearing whatsoever on this hiring.

Reminds me of MacT bumping into Nurse's dad in the washroom before the draft. This organization doesnt seem to do their due diligence when hiring. Is there even an interview process?
:facepalm: Yeah, they tell that story because it's a "cute" story, if one really thinks about the situation the Oilers were likely considering Nurse (among others) at that spot, they'd done all the review of the prospects and meeting Nurse's dad on accident maybe gave MacT an understand of what kind of person Nurse would be.

Like for **** sakes people, just because you want to be slap-dash, doesn't mean that is actually is.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Cool sounds nice and rosy and I hope they turn things around. But i'm not going to be fooled by 1 good season next year. This years Oilers have proven they can't be trusted.

I'm still jaded and pissed at pile of horse shit they laid on us this year.
Nothing short of a cup will erase the stink of this season. At least that's how I feel now.
There's just this feel of betrayal. In past years we were young and perhaps not good enough. I could blame the gm and scouting staff etc.
This year was just a complete coiler across the entire organization. The players were awful. The coaches were awful. The gm was awful. The minor league team was awful. The cupboard is bare.

I'm stuck asking a question I thought was over after the last purge and McDavid drafting.

Why can't this hockey team establish a non-toxic culture. Shed the losing culture. Create a winning culture. Why do the southern teams do this so easy? Why can't we learn from them?
Perhaps we're just too far north and it's too f***ing depressing up here to play motivated hockey.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, because he was still the Flames coach then and it likely had no bearing whatsoever on this hiring.

:facepalm: Yeah, they tell that story because it's a "cute" story, if one really thinks about the situation the Oilers were likely considering Nurse (among others) at that spot, they'd done all the review of the prospects and meeting Nurse's dad on accident maybe gave MacT an understand of what kind of person Nurse would be.

Like for **** sakes people, just because you want to be slap-dash, doesn't mean that is actually is.
100%. On the Nurse thing, the Oilers were clearly scouting Nurse. It was probably between Nurse and one other guy and they were equally hot for both. MacT running into his Dad probably did exactly what you said and pushed the Oilers in that direction. No way it was MacT coming back from the bathroom going "So I know we want this guy but this Nurse guy we have never scouted or liked, I met his dad"

And on the coaching hires. I think 100% the trip together had a part to play. But that's not a bad thing. Coaches can have different ideas but you want your coaching staff to gel, get a long and be able to work well together. If they bonded over the trip a bit and that helped sway the Oilers there is no bad there.

Its not like we hired a no body as an assistant. We hired and experienced guy who has been a head coach and assistant coach at the NHL level.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think 100% the trip together had a part to play. But that's not a bad thing
That's fair, and it's what I was thinking after my original comment. My point it wasn't like 'Hey I went on a trip with this guy, we should hire him", it's like you suggest where it shows well in his character to represent the Flames, travelling with the Oilers HC, despite possibly knowing he was going to be fired soon.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

My point is, you shouldn't be basing a hiring decision on a chance encounter or even how well you get along with another person. You gather a group of candidates with impressive resumes and go through a proper interview process. This organization seems to despise interviews.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes but Draisaitl was a no brainer the big C the Oilers were lacking at the time to play behind Nuge , and personally I think the real 1st overall from what is looking like a pretty decent draft year.

MacT also needed a #2C immediately, and thought Drai was the most NHL ready because he had a "man body" (which ended up being wrong, and costed us an ELC year). We're lucky MacT wanted to be so lazy that summer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its not like we hired a no body as an assistant. We hired and experienced guy who has been a head coach and assistant coach at the NHL level.
Yeah this is what I was thinking as well. If you wanted the team to "improve" the coaching staff, this a lot of improvement.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My point is, you shouldn't be basing a hiring decision on a chance encounter or even how well you get along with another person. You gather a group of candidates with impressive resumes and go through a proper interview process.
:facepalm: Because you assume they haven't reviewed anything on the perspective hire. You're also suggesting that personal interaction with potential hires shouldn't matter at all? Yeah humans don't work that way.

If you are going to be hired for a job, and the person potentially hiring you meets you in public and you're being terrible to a customer service rep (or something like that), they should just ignore the character experience they had and hire you? Not a chance in real life.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really happy with the Yawney addition, his track record speaks for itself. I'm just a bit curious why Anaheim let him go though, he has produced nothing but elite results there with the PK and Dman development.

I'll wait and see on GG. His practice rant game is on point but I'm not sure how effective he is at running a PP with what seems to be mixed results. Anything would be an upgrade on Woodcroft's work last season so that's a positive.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My point is, you shouldn't be basing a hiring decision on a chance encounter or even how well you get along with another person. You gather a group of candidates with impressive resumes and go through a proper interview process. This organization seems to despise interviews.
You don't think that the Oilers did interviews? Assistant coach interviews or hirings tend to go under the radar or rarely talked about this time of year because of the playoffs. When's the last time you heard "Team looking at these 10 candidates for their vacant assistant coach role" you don't.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Really happy with the Yawney addition, his track record speaks for itself. I'm just a bit curious why Anaheim let him go though, he has produced nothing but elite results there with the PK and Dman development.

I'll wait and see on GG. His practice rant game is on point but I'm not sure how effective he is at running a PP with what seems to be mixed results. Anything would be an upgrade on Woodcroft's work last season so that's a positive.
We are hiring a third guy who would probably run the PP.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We are hiring a third guy who would probably run the PP.

So what is GG"s role? Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen if they brought in another guy but the Oilers have always preferred "the most voices in the room possible" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad