Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have watched a few Flames games just because I enjoy NHL hockey but to be honest its hard to watch that team when you're an Oilers fan. :D

From what I did see and what I heard from some media members that were close to the team GG is a players coach first and foremost. He really seems to be able to connect with the players. I heard that the ownership/management group in Calgary thought that he was too much of a players coach which is why they let him go. Peters is thought to be more of a hard ass (sort of halfway between Hartley and GG) which is what they wanted.

GG was very respected in Calgary and I think he will be very valuable in terms of connecting with players communicating systems.

Thanks. I would think that Woodcroft was the kind of guy that couldn't scare a toddler so he likely was a "players coach" too. Todd seems to be a bit more old school, even keeled type of a guy that isn't the rah rah type. I just hope that coaching isn't an issue this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks. I would think that Woodcroft was the kind of guy that couldn't scare a toddler so he likely was a "players coach" too. Todd seems to be a bit more old school, even keeled type of a guy that isn't the rah rah type. I just hope that coaching isn't an issue this season.

I think one of the most important aspects of a coaching staff is balance...I think thats exactly what this team has achieved with these signings.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lol, according to their DOBs, Yawney is 6 years senior to Gulutzan, so oddly enough their paths may not have crossed.

In a town that small? My dad is from a similarly sized town and you'd at least recognize the face of someone in that small of a town.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
GG didnt run the PP in Calgary....Asst coach Dave Cameron ran it.
Yeah. But he ran the PP in Dallas I believe and it was awful. Same with Van.

Manny Viverios is probably our PP guy. Swift Current had just under 30% on the PP this year, so if he had anything to do with that, color me intrigued.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah. But he ran the PP in Dallas I believe and it was awful. Same with Van.

Manny Viverios is probably our PP guy. Swift Current had just under 30% on the PP this year, so if he had anything to do with that, color me intrigued.

He didnt run it in Calgary for sure and IIRC he was more of a PK coach with Dallas.

I think you're reaching here.

As for Viverios I agree. I hope he is the 3rd part of the new assistant coaching staff. :nod:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
In a town that small? My dad is from a similarly sized town and you'd at least recognize the face of someone in that small of a town.

Looking at Yawney's bio, he was in the SJHL as a 16 year old which would make Gulutzan 10. I should correct myself...I'm sure they probably did cross paths at the hockey rink or maybe at school prior to that but not crossed paths or "known" each other in terms of friendship.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Wikipedia says Viveiros is from St. Albert, played for the Saints and then the PA Raiders.

It would be an all Saskatchewanese/Saskatchewanese transplant coaching staff.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He didnt run it in Calgary for sure and IIRC he was more of a PK coach with Dallas.

I think you're reaching here.

As for Viverios I agree. I hope he is the 3rd part of the new assistant coaching staff. :nod:
Not reaching just mistaken.

New blood in Viverios could help the offense. Yawney could turn our defenders into somebodies.

Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Craig MacTavish is really excited about the GG hiring , he was super impressed how ready his team looked for a faceoff one game

Classic :)

The best part of that comment from MacT about Eakins back in the day is that MacT beat Eakins in the 2 head to head games they had in the AHL. But hey, there's no shame in losing to a 4-ringer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Gulutzan was in charge of Vancouver's PP in 2013-14 when Tortorella was the head coach. He was retained by Willie Desjardins and ran the PK for two years before the Flames hired him.

2013-14 PP: 15.2% (26th overall), slightly worse than previous season (15.8%, 22nd)
2014-15 PK: 85.7% (2nd overall), improvement from year before (83.2%, t-9th)
2015-16 PK: 81.1% (t-17th overall)

The season after he left, Vancouver's PK dropped to 76.7% (28th).

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Classic :)

The best part of that comment from MacT about Eakins back in the day is that MacT beat Eakins in the 2 head to head games they had in the AHL. But hey, there's no shame in losing to a 4-ringer.
Yup one of the dumbest reasoning for hiring a coach I ever heard come out of a GM's mouth , but expected from a guy who makes his draft choices by who he meets at a urinal.

Reactions: Jamin

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'll still always thank him for Draisaitl over no pull ups
Yes but Draisaitl was a no brainer the big C the Oilers were lacking at the time to play behind Nuge , and personally I think the real 1st overall from what is looking like a pretty decent draft year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One thing I am looking forward to is the insight that GG has on the Flames vulnerabilities. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->