Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So what is GG"s role? Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen if they brought in another guy but the Oilers have always preferred "the most voices in the room possible" method.
Gulutzan would be the #2, the associate coach.

Yawney would be the PK defensive guy.

Viverios(rumored) would be the PP offensive guy

Look at this part. This team is in the cup final now Capitals Coaching Staff 4 guys.

Reactions: McCupofOil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
:facepalm: Because you assume they haven't reviewed anything on the perspective hire. You're also suggesting that personal interaction with potential hires shouldn't matter at all? Yeah humans don't work that way.

If you are going to be hired for a job, and the person potentially hiring you meets you in public and you're being terrible to a customer service rep (or something like that), they should just ignore the character experience they had and hire you? Not a chance in real life.

Personal interaction with a potential hire does account for something as long as it's in the interview.
Don't get me wrong, we have improved our assistant coaches but I would have liked to go through some other candidates as well instead of selecting on the basis of close proximity during a trip to Humboldt.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Personal interaction with a potential hire does account for something as long as it's in the interview.
Don't get me wrong, we have improved our assistant coaches but I would have liked to go through some other candidates as well instead of selecting on the basis of close proximity during a trip to Humboldt.
And how do you know we didn't?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gulutzan would be the #2, the associate coach.

Yawney would be the PK defensive guy.

Viverios(rumored) would be the PP offensive guy

Look at this part. This team is in the cup final now Capitals Coaching Staff 4 guys.

Ok. Thanks

I don't mind the 3 coach nethod, was more just poking fun at the Oilers propensity to hire a bazillion suits for pretty much the same role.

It seems like GG is coach in waiting if Mclellan screws up the first half of the season. Not sure how I feel about that but I'll stay positive and just assume they do well this season so no firings occur.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So, again, you BOTH assume that the Oilers only hired Gulutzan because he hung out with T-Mac when they were visiting the Humbolt survivors (and the parents), and that if that wasn't the reason, T-Mac's experience in interacting with Gulutzan in that situation doesn't matter in relation to his character in terms of this future hiring of him as an associate coach?

The cognitive dissidence it takes to hold that thought is impressive.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
You have to think that Vivieros is coming too. Seems like their waiting for Swift Currents season to end.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I wonder if he comes next week, after having is "exit" meetings with the kids and after some of the Memorial Cup stuff dies down.
I wouldn't be shocked with all the rumblings. Skinner can't talk highly enough of him. That alone is almost good enough for me...lol. We need Skinner to pan out in a big way.
I like that he has been working with WHL kids. He will have some good skills to bring to the table in the player relations with the younger generation imo. Something I think we have lacked for a long time.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
There is a lot of smoke there coming from all sorts of different sources.

Any links? It seems like this is common knowledge, but when I was trying to trace the source of the rumors I couldn't find any. Most reliable thing I see is Brownlee suggesting it'd be a good idea on twitter on April 11.

I'll be ecstatic if we hire 3 qualified assistant coaches and not Paul Coffey though!

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Any links? It seems like this is common knowledge, but when I was trying to trace the source of the rumors I couldn't find any. Most reliable thing I see is Brownlee suggesting it'd be a good idea on twitter on April 11.

I'll be ecstatic if we hire 3 qualified assistant coaches and not Paul Coffey though!
Not sure of the original source of it. Maybe everyone is banking on Stauffers hints over the last few months:laugh:
The hiring would make a ton of sense. But all I have seen is just speculation like the rest of you. I hope it has legs.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This feels like when we had Pat Quinn and Tom Renney..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was Yawney in Humboldt? I honestly don't know.

The other problem is hiring assistants isn't as simple as going out and getting the 2 or 3 best guys. You need to get guys that fit what TM and what PC are trying to do. You need to get guys that TM will actually listen to. What good is getting the best assistant in the world if the head coach just ignores him?

I don't know how many interviews were actually done, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that TM and PC both had a lot of conversations with guys. Really think a lot of this process is more about shooting the shits over a beer and picking guys brains

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Calgary radio was also hinting towards Vivieros joining the Oilers this morning.
How is this happening? Seems like a decent hire, but something I really wouldn't expect. Is there some sort of tie to him?

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
hOW WAS THE PP IN SWIFT CURRENT? Curious if MV is going to be the answer here or we are just hiring based on 'buzz'?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
who's hiring is this? Todd's or Chia and company? If it's Chia i'd be walking on eggshells if I were Todd....

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A quote from Manny Viveiros.

The style I like to play is fast hockey,” he said. “It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to skate fast, but you have to play fast, then everything else follows.
“I like to play a very up-tempo kind of game where we’re attacking more than we’re defending. That’s not to say we take defending lightly. We want to defend aggressively and get the puck back as quickly as possible. If you do that, then you’re automatically on offence.

Manny Viveiros, former WHL star from St. Albert, a rising star in the coaching ranks with Swift Current Broncos

If he is hired and he brings this with him to Edmonton I'd be thrilled. This is precisely why Vegas is in the final with a roster that is far less talented than most.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
who's hiring is this? Todd's or Chia and company? If it's Chia i'd be walking on eggshells if I were Todd....

Cud be.

I remember chia or nicky saying todd relies heavily on his staff. Maybe this is their way of putting todd in a better position to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad