F Martin Necas - HC Kometa Brno, CZE JRS (2017, 12th, CAR)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
From what I saw in the preseason, he was pretty amazing. Really stoodout with his skating, IQ and passing. Not surprised he made it.

Great pick by the Canes.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Shero has said if the devils didn't win the lottery they would have traded back from the 5th-7th position. I believe Necas what have been their main target had this happened as he fits what the devils are trying to build with his dynamic skating ability. Good pick by the canes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Shero has said if the devils didn't win the lottery they would have traded back from the 5th-7th position. I believe Necas what have been their main target had this happened as he fits what the devils are trying to build with his dynamic skating ability. Good pick by the canes

Canes said they had him 4th on their list. Of course, teams always say the guy they picked was higher than they had him so take it with a grain of salt.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Corey Pronman on Necas WJC Play

Martin Necas, C, Carolina: Necas' numbers have been just fine during the first two games, but he's been arguably the best player so far. He's a dynamic forward with his speed and skill, and when he's near the puck, he controls the play. His ability to not only exhibit skill and distribute but put defenders on their heels to consistently get controlled zone entries has created a ton of offense at even strength.

Haven't been able to watch the games. Do you all agree with this assessment?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Corey Pronman on Necas WJC Play

Martin Necas, C, Carolina: Necas' numbers have been just fine during the first two games, but he's been arguably the best player so far. He's a dynamic forward with his speed and skill, and when he's near the puck, he controls the play. His ability to not only exhibit skill and distribute but put defenders on their heels to consistently get controlled zone entries has created a ton of offense at even strength.

Haven't been able to watch the games. Do you all agree with this assessment?

He was the best player in both Czech games I watched, so yes. He's a #1C type propsect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, the canes got themselves a good one in Necas. I was really high on him at the draft and he's done nothing to temper my excitement about him. Fully expect him to reach that Aho/Skinner level for Carolina...setting the table for a star forward (like Tavares?) to show up and turn that into a stacked top 6.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah, the canes got themselves a good one in Necas. I was really high on him at the draft and he's done nothing to temper my excitement about him. Fully expect him to reach that Aho/Skinner level for Carolina...setting the table for a star forward (like Tavares?) to show up and turn that into a stacked top 6.

Canucks had him ranked very high too. I believe benning would have drafted him with the picks ranging 7-10

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Canucks had him ranked very high too. I believe benning would have drafted him with the picks ranging 7-10

Makes sense. Like Pettersson, the first part of Necas' game that flashes is his cleverness & creativity, then you notice the silky hands & the slick passes he can sling around with them, and then there's that excellent quickness. When we discussed Duchene to Carolina over the summer, Necas was by a hefty margin the piece that I most wanted to see Sakic get in the return...unless Francis would wilt on Hanifin. Kid would've looked just too unbelievably sexy next to MacKinnon & Rantanen in a few years.

I didn't see much of Pettersson before the draft, and still haven't really seen enough of him to have a strong opinion on his game; but from how it seems right now, all of those same things that attracted Benning to Pettersson are areas where Necas also shines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I called him the steal of the 2017 draft and stick to it. At the time wouldnt HAVE been upset with the Canucks taking him at 5

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He has been so good. In my opinion the best forward in this tournament and should also get a MVP award.
He's been good but I wouldn't say best forward. Guys like Mittelstadt, Bellows, Kyrou, Tkachuk, even Zadina on his own team, Petersson in my opinion have looked better. He needs to get stronger for sure, seemed to get bumped off the puck a little too easily. Good vision and passing though, seems to have high IQ and have above average skating. Good prospect for sure.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wasn't even the best forward on the Czechs

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but Pronman sees it differently than you. Here's his comments on the WJC:

ALL-STAR BALLOT
Members of the media are now asked to submit an MVP pick and an All-Star ballot for the tournament comprising three forwards (irrelevant of wing or center), two defensemen and a goalie. My picks are:

Forward: Casey Mittelstadt, USA (Buffalo)
Forward: Martin Necas, Czech Republic (Carolina)
Forward: Filip Zadina, Czech Republic (2018 draft eligible)
Defenseman: Adam Fox, USA (Calgary)
Defenseman: Rasmus Dahlin, Sweden (2018 draft eligible)
Goalie: Filip Gustavsson, Sweden (Pittsburgh)
MVP: Casey Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt and Necas are easily the top two forwards so far. Both have been so dynamic and at times carried their teams for long stretches.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's been good but I wouldn't say best forward. Guys like Mittelstadt, Bellows, Kyrou, Tkachuk, even Zadina on his own team, Petersson in my opinion have looked better. He needs to get stronger for sure, seemed to get bumped off the puck a little too easily. Good vision and passing though, seems to have high IQ and have above average skating. Good prospect for sure.

Like I said in the other post, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Pronman see's it differently. Of course, that doen't mean he's the gospel on this, but there's no bias from him.

Mittelstadt and Necas are easily the top two forwards so far. Both have been so dynamic and at times carried their teams for long stretches.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Zadina also played very good tournament and he is in my opinion top 3 pick in the upcoming draft but I think that he would not have scored those 8 goals without Necas.

Necas will play in NHL next season. Mark my words.
Definitely has the skill but needs to get a lot stronger in the offseason.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
??? Necas tied MVP Mittelstadt for 11 point in 7 games on a team not nearly as stacked with talent as those other teams. Glad Canes got him, going to be a good one.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Like pettersson he needs to bulk up. But he will be fine. Most of these kids add the necessary mass to play in the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad