F Martin Necas - HC Kometa Brno, CZE JRS (2017, 12th, CAR)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
From Pronman's latest article on Necas

Martin Necas, C, Carolina: Necas was clearly, in my opinion, the second best forward in the tournament. The media didn’t give him a nod as an All-Star among the three forward slots, which was absurd, but I digress. If you did a re-draft of the 2017 draft right now, in my opinion and from talking to NHL people around the tournament, Necas would be a top-seven, if not a top-five pick (Carolina drafted him at No. 12). “He plays with speed. He makes dynamic plays at a pro pace,” said one NHL executive. Necas’ skating and skill stood out with incredible consistency in terms of generating offense off those attributes, but I also liked his playmaking and that he came back on defense. Carolina has a good one here. I expect he starts next season in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm always anxious about kids his size making it as centermen in the NHL, but Necas should drive offense whether from the wing or center; he's just too slick & clever.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm always anxious about kids his size making it as centermen in the NHL, but Necas should drive offense whether from the wing or center; he's just too slick & clever.

Yeah, if he remains 180 lbs, sure, but he's already 6'1" and only 18 years old so it's a matter of filling out. Many of the good-best centers in the NHL right now are in his range for height. It's not too unheard of for a kid to put on 15-20 lbs as he gets out of his teens and into his 20s.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah, if he remains 180 lbs, sure, but he's already 6'1" and only 18 years old so it's a matter of filling out. Many of the good-best centers in the NHL right now are in his range for height. It's not too unheard of for a kid to put on 15-20 lbs as he gets out of his teens and into his 20s.

Hischier is listed at 6’1” and only weighed around 180 at the draft. He gets bounced around some but holds up fine as an NHL center. No reason Necas can’t as well. At some point all these smaller skilled forwards and defensemen entering the league will reduce the average player size and it will get easier to thrive for the average sized player with higher end skill.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He just looks kinda lanky, like he might have trouble actually packing much weight onto that frame. Might just be me though :dunno:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He just looks kinda lanky, like he might have trouble actually packing much weight onto that frame. Might just be me though :dunno:
He's 18 years old, dude. :laugh: Do you have any reason to think he's that much different than the dozens (conservative estimate here) of players who were drafted as 6'+ 170ish lb beanpoles who made it to the NHL?

I see no reason why he can't put on 15-20 lbs and have a similar physique to say, Kyle Turris (another center who was a beanpole when drafted), for example, other than your gut feeling.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's 18 years old, dude. :laugh: Do you have any reason to think he's that much different than the dozens (conservative estimate here) of players who were drafted as 6'+ 170ish lb beanpoles who made it to the NHL?

I see no reason why he can't put on 15-20 lbs and have a similar physique to say, Kyle Turris (another center who was a beanpole when drafted), for example, other than your gut feeling.

Just the way he looks :dunno: Turris would actually be my concern, he's still become an effective player, but the fact that even now he can get pushed around by some teenagers limits just how dynamic he can be. Still someone who can rip it up in the right situation because of his skill and smarts, but not a true top of the line driver of offensive like I think Necas has the skill & creativity to become if he does fill out well, and frankly like Carolina desperate needs as Aho and Skinner are more great complimentary pieces than driving forces.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Aho not a driving force? He is better and will be better than Necas ever will.

Aho drives offense on the ice, but Carolina needs someone who's on an even higher level for Aho / Necas / Skinner to slide into those 2nd/3rd/4th biggest threat spots. As for Aho v Necas, I think they'll be very similar caliber creators in their primes...even with my concerns about Necas' frame.

Reactions: Wings4Life

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I've only seen Necas at the Draft, in NHL Preseason, and at the WJC. To me it looks like he has grown significantly since the Draft and could be 6'2"+ at this point. He looks big on the ice. Explains the lankiness. Maybe a fan of his Czech team could compare vs. current teammates.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
He said in an August interview with Czech media that his height is 188 cm, i.e. 6'2''.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Aho drives offense on the ice, but Carolina needs someone who's on an even higher level for Aho / Necas / Skinner to slide into those 2nd/3rd/4th biggest threat spots. As for Aho v Necas, I think they'll be very similar caliber creators in their primes...even with my concerns about Necas' frame.

Just curious, what do you mean "even higher level", specifically in terms of points.

Aho was had 24G, 49 points on a low scoring team as a 19 year old rookie (his first season on smaller ice) and is on pace for 29G, 67 points as a 20 year old sophomore (in a season where he didn't score a goal for his first 15 games). When he hits his prime, he has the potential to be a 30+G, 70+ point player who excels in all aspects of the game.

I would love for the Canes to get a guy on an even higher level, but unless the Canes (a) tank (or luck out) and get a 1st OA Pick, or (b) somehow lure a Tavares (both unlikely), or (c) find a late gem, they aren't likely to get someone who is on a higher level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just curious, what do you mean "even higher level", specifically in terms of points.

Aho was had 24G, 49 points on a low scoring team as a 19 year old rookie (his first season on smaller ice) and is on pace for 29G, 67 points as a 20 year old sophomore (in a season where he didn't score a goal for his first 15 games). When he hits his prime, he has the potential to be a 30+G, 70+ point player who excels in all aspects of the game.

I would love for the Canes to get a guy on an even higher level, but unless the Canes (a) tank (or luck out) and get a 1st OA Pick, or (b) somehow lure a Tavares (both unlikely), or (c) find a late gem, they aren't likely to get someone who is on a higher level.
I mean someone like MacKinnon, Matthews, or...Tavares :naughty:

Add a franchise Center like that with Necas and you have a cup favorite up front and on the blue line

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean someone like MacKinnon, Matthews, or...Tavares :naughty:

Add a franchise Center like that with Necas and you have a cup favorite up front and on the blue line

19 year (draft+1) old seasons:
MacKinnon: 14G, 38P in 64GP (18G, 49P for 82 game pace)
Aho: 24G, 49P in 82 GP - Aho's first season on NA ice.

20 year old seasons:
MacKinnon: 21G, 52P in 72GP (24G, 59P for 82 game pace)
Aho: 16G, 37P in 44 GP (30G, 69P for 82 game pace).

I realize MacKinnon is on pace for 35+ goals and 100 points this season and I don't expect Aho to ever hit those point totals so even with the numbers I listed above, I acknowledge that MacKinnon has more offensive prowess than Aho does, but I do think many underestimate how good this guy is and what he's capable of. Also, although the Canes have said they plan on Aho being at center, it remains to be seen if that comes to fruition where-as MacKinnon is doing it while playing center.

That said, your point is valid. Canes could use an elite 1C, but unless they totally suck for a season like Toronto, Edm, TB, Colorado, etc.. have to get the #1 pick, or they luck out in the lottery, it's going to be very difficult for that that to happen. Hopefully Necas develops to more than people expect and can be a guy that while not the elite level of Matthews/Tavares types, can still be a very good 1C option. Canes have said they plan on moving Aho to C as well, but depending on what happens with Necas, that may not be necessary.

Getting Tavares, although a pipe dream, would be incredible. Tavares, Jordan Staal and Necas/Aho down the middle? Sign me up.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Development is far from linear. So using MacKinnon's dreadful sophomore season and his 3rd year when he hurt his wrist 30-35 games in (kid was ~PPG at that point despite the rest of the team pulling a collective iginla for the first two months of the season) is a little misleading. I like Aho a lot, but I can't see him ever dominating the way MacK is now and the player MacK is now is the skater you are missing from being serious cup favorites; not the player MacK was during his sophomore slump or when that wrist/hand injured robbed him of his shot & he got frustrated.

I'm not saying getting that guy is easy, but with the lottery & JT's pending UFA, it's not as impossible as it used to be.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Development is far from linear. So using MacKinnon's dreadful sophomore season and his 3rd year when he hurt his wrist 30-35 games in (kid was ~PPG at that point despite the rest of the team pulling a collective iginla for the first two months of the season) is a little misleading. I like Aho a lot, but I can't see him ever dominating the way MacK is now and the player MacK is now is the skater you are missing from being serious cup favorites; not the player MacK was during his sophomore slump or when that wrist/hand injured robbed him of his shot & he got frustrated.

Yep, development isn't linear, but I don't think anyone, even the biggest MacKinnon fans would have expected a 35+G, 100 point season out of him (if he continues on his pace) right now. As I already said though, I do agree that Aho does not have the offensive chops that MacKinnon does, but I still think you are underestimating him a bit.

That aside, I don't disagree with your main point. Canes could really use a premier 1C, no question about it.

I'm not saying getting that guy is easy, but with the lottery & JT's pending UFA, it's not as impossible as it used to be.

I still don't think it's very possible, even with the changes. Pretty much every team that has acquired one in the past 10 years:

2016: Matthews (by Leaf's tanking)
2015: McDavid and "maybe" Eichel (by sucking/tanking)
2014: None?
2013: MacKinnon (by Colorado sucking)
2012: None?
2011: None?
2010: "maybe Seguin" via trade
2009: Tavares (By Islanders sucking)
2008: Stamkos (by Tampa sucking)
2007: None?
2006: Backstrom (by Caps sucking)
2005: Crosby (By Pens sucking the earlier season and the weird lottery due to the lockout)

About the only 2 teams to acquire an elite or near elite center via trade was because the Bruins made a couple bone headed trades (Seguin and Thornton). They are like "gold" so teams that have them very rarely let them get away, until they are no longer elite.

I do think Necas is going to surprise some people though. I haven't seen him that much, but every time I have seen him, I come away saying he's got that "it" factor. He's the only Canes prospect in the last 10+ years I've really felt that way about. I think he'll be much more of a distributor of the puck than a scorer.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Two goals tonight against Sparta Prague including an OT winner :nod:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep, development isn't linear, but I don't think anyone, even the biggest MacKinnon fans would have expected a 35+G, 100 point season out of him (if he continues on his pace) right now. As I already said though, I do agree that Aho does not have the offensive chops that MacKinnon does, but I still think you are underestimating him a bit.

Just saw this. I don't think anyone was calling for MacK to hit 115 points this year, but a lot of us thought he'd be in the 70s (to upper 70s) if Bednar didn't split him & Mikko up. And personally I've always maintained that MacK's potential was to become an even faster pre-knee-injury Roenick; a player who could win an art ross or two in his career even with McDavid / Eichel / Matthews coming into the league since his draft. If we can pull me posts up from his rookie year, I said as much on the main boards on multiple occasions.

So though no one was expecting this season this year; but I would argue against the notion that no one expected a season like this from him at some point.
That aside, I don't disagree with your main point. Canes could really use a premier 1C, no question about it.

Anyways; yeah, if you guys had a quality goalie, you'd be a JT signing (and maybe one more year of development from the kids) away from joining the Preds & Pens as cup favorites. Skinner, Necas & Aho is a great supporting trio for a star like Tavares, and you've got nice depth beyond those high end creatives with the likes of Staal, Lindholm, Rask, TT, etc. And we haven't even gotten to your blueline. Where...even though I don't rate Bean...you are still just overflowing with talents that are far from the downslope of they're careers.

Other than the Blues, I don't see a better fit for JT to spend the next 6-7 years of his career than you...unless contenders start clearing cap space to make a run at him after the season; which certainly wouldn't be a shock...and unlike the Blues, your team isn't stuck in STL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad