F Martin Necas - HC Kometa Brno, CZE JRS (2017, 12th, CAR)

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Him and Petterson have interesting outlooks, both seem to have the best potentials in the draft it seems but neither seem to have much exposure yet.

I think I'm in this camp as well. Would have been really interesting if they both played in the CHL to see how they compare to some of the top ranked NA players.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Zacha was the most hyped Czech in recent memory. Surprised you have Necas ahead. Although, I can see why people would like Necas more than Zacha depending on what they value in a prospect.

Thought Zacha hype did cool quite a bit with his lackluster CHL stint.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Thought Zacha hype did cool quite a bit with his lackluster CHL stint.

Wasn't lackluster at all. People are too focused on the stat-line as opposed to how they actually play. Sarnia played a very pro-style game with heavy emphasis on defensive play last year. It might not bring huge success to the junior game but it develops players into adjusting to the pros.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Wasn't lackluster at all. People are too focused on the stat-line as opposed to how they actually play. Sarnia played a very pro-style game with heavy emphasis on defensive play last year. It might not bring huge success to the junior game but it develops players into adjusting to the pros.

Well I guess watching Sarnia and him that year was lack luster because he was playing a pro game (maybe) ish. All i know is it was kinda boring watching him. Thank god Chychrun was there to watch otherwise i wouldn't have watched anything lol.

Also I wasn't referring to last year, i was referring to his draft year his close to 40 odd games. Maybe his skills were more translatable but at that point it sure didn't look game breaking. Still don't think he is a huge game breaker but i'll give it more time. More like a solid and/or good pro player.

This is where i think he was overhyped and as I mentioned before, where some hype died down in his draft year.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

He looks really good. What an intriguing draft, can't wait to see which teams picks what.

Wouldn't mind the Canucks drafting him. Really like his speed and tenacity on this particular shift. Thanks Steve!

Strong 2 way player with high hockey iq and offensive skills. He is the next best forward after nico/Nolan.

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was taken 3rd overall by any team.

The more I research Martin Necas, the more I want him at #5 for the Canucks.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
http://thehockeywriters.com/emptying-the-2017-nhl-combine-notebook/

It’s not often that a prospect admits that a team had dinner with them. That was the case for Martin Necas (ranked 5th on the European skaters list.) He told me the Detroit Red Wings had dinner with him. This of course is no guarantee he gets drafted as their first-round pick, but it’s intriguing to see this as it does express a level of interest higher than usual.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hell yes.

At this point I've almost resigned myself to the wings taking Necas assuming he's there and no one they absolutely love falls to them. We've been transitioning to taking more Czechs, and he really checks (haha) all of the boxes we look for in a forward. He's responsible defensively, has good physical tools, is a dedicated team player, has lots of skill and can skate like the wind. I worry he has somewhat lower upside and isn't quite the high IQ distributor this team needs, but I'll have no complaints if he's our pick. Necas, AA and Larkin will be a nightmare for teams that can't skate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I worry he has somewhat lower upside and isn't quite the high IQ distributor this team needs, but I'll have no complaints if he's our pick. Necas, AA and Larkin will be a nightmare for teams that can't skate.

Still waiting for someone to give some substance to support this idea that's been getting kicked around on the Wings board and is the exact opposite of all of his scouting reports.

The type of high IQ distributor the Wings really need would most likely come from a top 3 pick. For a guy projected to be available around #9, Necas has great upside.

Future considerations:
A strong offensive minded centre…has explosive, darting speed and can duck and dodge with impressive lateral agility…wins races to loose pucks regularly…dangerous when in possession of the puck and screaming down the wing with speed…can both make a play to an open teammate or just drive the puck towards the net himself…is creative seeing the ice well and displaying good timing on his passes…

Pronman:
He's a dynamic talent, and his skating ability is very good, as he is one of the quicker skaters available this year. Although he excels when playing a fast-paced game, Necas is also a very good playmaker who can slow the game down and make plays from the boards. He controls the puck well and can make above-average plays with his hands.

Button:
Necas (seven goals and eight assists in 41 games) has a style of game that reminds me of Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux. He has a high skill level, can finish or create, and has a desire to find some way to make an impact in every game he plays.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm really starting to warm up with drafting Martin Necas with our #9 pick. Loved the interview with him he seems pretty mature beyond his years. And he did have dinner with the Wings organization and it seems like we're looking at more and more Czechs here so there's that here's hoping that Martin Necas is a Red Wings on June 23rd 2017 good luck Martin no matter what happens.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Still waiting for someone to give some substance to support this idea that's been getting kicked around on the Wings board and is the exact opposite of all of his scouting reports.

The type of high IQ distributor the Wings really need would most likely come from a top 3 pick. For a guy projected to be available around #9, Necas has great upside

I think his upside is also very high. His skill, skating, and fearless and energetic type of play is great. But he's one of the guys I had a bit of difficulty pegging down as to what he was/was not. Playing in a men's league at 17 can make evaluating harder.

When he played center, I thought he was pretty messy defensively. Effort level was always there, but the reads were iffy, and he puck chased a lot. One of his favorite things is rushing the puck up ice. Off puck he's got great feel for where to go to be open and get chances, even to the dirty areas. Works his butt off in the physical game too down low. He just plays with a ton of energy. I don't know if it's because I mostly caught Extraliga playoff games, but at times I thought he played with too much energy. Like everything was go-go-go!, and he wasn't slowing down and processing the play well enough. Was that being amped up playing a certain role against men? Maybe. Didn't notice it quite as much in the u18s/u20s, but it didn't go away either. He's absolutely NOT low IQ, but I'm not sure it's a standout elite trait either. I'd say above average, maybe a better fit for being a winger long-term. He's still got high end potential though in whatever capacity, and I'd select him easily in that spot.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
How would he compare to Mike McLeod?

Seems like the scouting reports are pretty similar.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How would he compare to Mike McLeod?

Seems like the scouting reports are pretty similar.

Ehhhh....not really. Necas can at times be a bit one note with his speed attack too -- but it's more of a frenzied style than one dimensionality off the rush. He's got a higher skill level, that part is pretty elite. McLeod plays more of a power game in zone and has a bigger body. I think Necas is quicker in tight, has a better shot, and I feel more certain that Necas has the potential to vary his speed and attack up more. He just needs to calm down a bit. Maybe he grows out of it and the game slows down for him. First experience playing against men at that age, against their speed and strength......I suppose it's easier to push the pace than slow it down. His speed on/off puck is his stand-out trait though to me. Can still be a great player playing like that, but maybe wing would be a better fit.

I actually like Button's Giroux style comparison in some aspects. But perhaps he'd be better off at wing (maybe he can be a center with a lot of work, I really am unsure!), and he doesn't slow the play down and control it as much. Might be more of a slot guy than PP QB too. He's faster though. I'm a Flyers fan; I work in Flyers analogies, so maybe a bit of bigger Giroux by way of Konecny in play style.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I really wish the Canucks could somehow snag him. I know theres other guys around 5 ranked higher but i really feel Necas will be the steal of the draft if hes taken later then 5

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think his upside is also very high. His skill, skating, and fearless and energetic type of play is great. But he's one of the guys I had a bit of difficulty pegging down as to what he was/was not. Playing in a men's league at 17 can make evaluating harder.

When he played center, I thought he was pretty messy defensively. Effort level was always there, but the reads were iffy, and he puck chased a lot. One of his favorite things is rushing the puck up ice. Off puck he's got great feel for where to go to be open and get chances, even to the dirty areas. Works his butt off in the physical game too down low. He just plays with a ton of energy. I don't know if it's because I mostly caught Extraliga playoff games, but at times I thought he played with too much energy. Like everything was go-go-go!, and he wasn't slowing down and processing the play well enough. Was that being amped up playing a certain role against men? Maybe. Didn't notice it quite as much in the u18s/u20s, but it didn't go away either. He's absolutely NOT low IQ, but I'm not sure it's a standout elite trait either. I'd say above average, maybe a better fit for being a winger long-term. He's still got high end potential though in whatever capacity, and I'd select him easily in that spot.

I sort of agree with this (from my limited Extraliga viewing), but I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I was at a regular season game where his team lost 4-0, and he was the only player who seemed to be at least trying to do something, not just lifelessly skating around. At the same time, I agree sometimes he was almost too eager when he could have slowed down.

He really has a lot of potential, but he also definitely needs time to develop it properly.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Would be really happy to get Necas or Pettersson to the wings at number 9.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Did I see it right? Was Necas's projection really a 3rd line scoring winger? That value lol :laugh:.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Worth noting he is planning to stay in the Czech Republic next year.

That's fine. Canes are generally happy to let Euro prospects stay put for a year. Aho did that and made the jump to the NHL at 19. Necas seems to compare pretty well to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad