Player Discussion: dylan samberg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Stanle has never turned the puck over over as badly as Samberg did last game on that 2nd goal. I also think Capo is worse.
but we all have our soft spots like some people with Ville who will never mount to much.
I saw a very mature game from Capobianco and his ability to control the puck abs make a good decision at the offensive blueline trumps Stanley throwing it in the corner every time for a change of possession.

Stanley is definitely last when it comes to those 3.

Samberg has had his struggles absolutely, but he's already much better than Stanley who cannot process the speed of the game, and doesn't have the wheels or agility to make up for it.

On that play Samberg more lost control of the puck than give it away. That happens, but rarely with such a bad outcome. At the same time you want your defense to move along the line to create openings rather than be static. I remember the same thing happening to Buff a few times but the majority of the time he created opportunities.
At least Samberg tried to make a play with a net positive result instead of Stanley who would have either fired it into a defenders shin pads or threw it into a corner for an easy turnover

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I saw a very mature game from Capobianco and his ability to control the puck abs make a good decision at the offensive blueline trumps Stanley throwing it in the corner every time for a change of possession.

Samberg has had his struggles absolutely, but he's already much better than Stanley who cannot process the speed of the game, and doesn't have the wheels or agility to make up for it.

At least Samberg tried to make a play with a net positive result instead of Stanley who would have either fired it into a defenders shin pads or threw it into a corner for an easy tur

At least Samberg tried to make a play with a net positive result instead of Stanley who would have either fired it into a defenders shin pads or threw it into a corner for an easy turnover
Its nIce to see a difference of opinions on these young defenders. I wish Jonny was still here to be a part of it. I think Stanley needs to play or he will stagnate. Samberg is the more complete player but maybe doesn’t have the upside stanley could have it he gets regular playing time on a low pressure team, like arizona or seattle. Ville would be the guy to bring in if morrisey were to be injured. Thats a tough spot being the replacement for your #1 D but not suited to be in the bottom pair.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Stanle has never turned the puck over over as badly as Samberg did last game on that 2nd goal. I also think Capo is worse.
but we all have our soft spots like some people with Ville who will never mount to much.

I recall plays like that by Stanley (giveaways at the offensive blue line leading to a breakaway), happens to almost every defenseman in the league who tries to do something with the puck (usually the worse version of it when a d-man tries to bomb it from the point, gets it blocked resuting in the same outcome). It's the tax you live with if you want an active D.

Reactions: Jack7222

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Rather put it in the corner where you have support than a breakaway for the other team.

Reactions: Inanna

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Rather put it in the corner where you have support than a breakaway for the other team.
You want your defense to be able to walk the line to create openings and get players into net front tip in positions, that is a big part of activating your defense as Bones has been preaching from day one. If your defense is so static your go to is a dump into the corner, you are going to give away possession a lot. And you will probably start getting really burned as this is an easy to read play for forwards to cut off.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Did you know that's happened to every elite defenseman in the league? Its happened to Josh Morrissey.

Are you saying that because Samberg bobbled the puck once at the blueline you'd rather have a defenseman in that can't read the offensive blueline nor has the agility to move along it to keep possession or create a chance? That's exactly what Samberg did later in the game to score his goal.

Would you rather be so risk averse that you'd just give up possession?

Reactions: Huffer and KingBogo

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
On that play Samberg more lost control of the puck than give it away. That happens, but rarely with such a bad outcome. At the same time you want your defense to move along the line to create openings rather than be static. I remember the same thing happening to Buff a few times but the majority of the time he created opportunities.
The puck hit a bad spot on the ice and he lost control. Anyone who thinks this is an issue with his game has some serious bias.

Reactions: Huffer and KingBogo

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Did you know that's happened to every elite defenseman in the league? Its happened to Josh Morrissey.

Are you saying that because Samberg bobbled the puck once at the blueline you'd rather have a defenseman in that can't read the offensive blueline nor has the agility to move along it to keep possession or create a chance? That's exactly what Samberg did later in the game to score his goal.

Would you rather be so risk averse that you'd just give up possession?
I just see Stanley as the new Chariot shit on here, goes somewhere else and gets a 1st.

Reactions: Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I don't agree with this -
Stan's outlet passes are very good from what i have seen and his involvement through the N zone is usually limited to backing up the offense - much the same as Samberg who is anything but a puck carrier.
Neither of these guys are dumpers unless there is nothing there - they usually have little to do with zone entries other than getting things started in their own end.

Stan is likely going to platoon with Samberg - they bring different things to the game but neither bring much offense. Expectations will be around how they manage things in their end - both will need to be physical and both will be expected to kill penalties - which is likely all Bones is looking for.

Walking the line and some of the other stuff being discussed earlier, really have little to do with these guys. Their offense will likely be nothing much beyond getting the puck on net, hard - and chipping in along the walls to help with possession.

Capo is #8 IMO -

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just see Stanley as the new Chariot shit on here, goes somewhere else and gets a 1st.
Id be fine with that, and honestly I don't dislike Stanley. It's just how I see those players in order of ability.

We do need to do something with our d surplus, but as Jets fans are well aware, injuries can strike quickly.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice bump.

One of the few non first round picks I called heading into day 2 of the draft. I wanted Samberg and was really happy we got him.

Really good defender and defending is an underrated and under appreciated
skill. I always believed he was going to be good as a modern shut down prototype, what I am pleasantly surprised about is the growth in his game with the puck on his stick. He is getting smarter and cleaner at puck transition.

My hope is his game transitions into a top 4 non sheltered role next season and he remains effective while getting slightly more productive.

He reminds me of that quite non flashy
but really effective top 4 Carolina D man. Something we are not use to in Winnipeg.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's been impressive to watch Sambergs growth throughout the season. He seems to get better every game. When also consider the upward trajectory of Chisholm and Gawanke, our future D situation looks pretty decent.

Edit. Oops forgot about Heiny.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
We are watching a significant breakout in the later part of the season and in game 1 of the playoffs,

Dylan Samberg is just what the doctor ordered!​

His confidence and play with the puck in the past month has been outstanding. He’s making great decisions on the breakout, when to skate it, when to outlet. His puck support has been really good, he’s been jumping into the rush on attack and his gap has improved immensely. Getting a bit more physical in an effective way as well.
Huge plus for the Jets in the playoffs, taking lots of pressure off Schmidt and allowing him to play his game more effectively.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It's been impressive to watch Sambergs growth throughout the season. He seems to get better every game. When also consider the upward trajectory of Chisholm and Gawanke, our future D situation looks pretty decent.
Still pissed Chevy f***ed up with Kovacevic. The Jets in house D solutions with Samberg, Ville and the two you mention, along with Kovacevic, really helps any rebuild the Jets will be facing. Lost him for Kyle Copabianco ffs! What a waste.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Still pissed Chevy f***ed up with Kovacevic. The Jets in house D solutions with Samberg, Ville and the two you mention, along with Kovacevic, really helps any rebuild the Jets will be facing. Lost him for Kyle Copabianco ffs! What a waste.
Kovacevic still doesn’t make it into the Jets line up. Not this year, next year or maybe ever. He still has no value past waiver fodder. If thats the hand wringing you got then things are going pretty well at the moment.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Kovacevic still doesn’t make it into the Jets line up. Not this year, next year or maybe ever. He still has no value past waiver fodder. If thats the hand wringing you got then things are going pretty well at the moment.
Next year, could have quite easily. 2 of the 3 RHD they have right now will likely not be here next season.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been absolutely dynamite. You wonder if he gets the same opportunity had Stanley not gotten hurt twice for long chunks of time. That is the main thing with the Jets D that gives me doubt. You need an injury for a guy to show what he has but if luck turns out that there are no injuries for the guy to step in we might be wasting an asset like Kovacevic or even Heinola or even a guy like Chisholm next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad