Player Discussion: dylan samberg

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't believe I've called him a failure just pointing out his defensive play has never been a strength. He likely with better coaching can be the solid third pairing guy we saw last year.

I just believe we have better players available on the team and in the system.
No you didn't say he was a failure -
But you did say he was a giant cluster F%%K -
I guess I was reading between the lines

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Stan's going to need some tutelage - maybe a lot
He's poor positionally, his gap is terrible, and he's not using his size along the walls or in front -
All of those things are areas that can be taught.

He has a wing span that he doesn't use to his advantage - especially when dealing with speedy puck carriers.
He needs to learn how to back off and use his span to cut down the options for the puck carrier - he's not going to do well if he tightens up that gap too much and relies on quickness and skating (LOL). Teaching can help him here.

He appears lost when things get rolling in the D zone - he doesn't have the ability to adjust quickly so he needs to be better positionally - there is no reason he can't be taught that.

He needs to be meaner - much meaner. This can also be taught to an extent - it's about being more aggressive on the man - and learning how to lay out a good check - this can also be taught

He already has a good shot and he has shown that he can pass the puck - good outlets (unless he is running around in a panic with the rest of them).
He has the size to be over bearing and intimidating - these are really nice traits in a dman. He'll never be a Buff or a Chara - but he only needs to be closer to what they are to be a guy you hate going into the corner with or when you decide to stand in front of the net.

These are the things the Jets wanted when they drafted him - I'm hoping he gets better support on these areas when the coaching shift happens. I'm holding out for one more shot -
I’m sorry, did you say fire Huddy?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No you didn't say he was a failure -
But you did say he was a giant cluster F%%K -
I guess I was reading between the lines

The part I really don’t get is how the coaches don’t seem to understand what they have in Stan. He is a puck moving Defenseman who’s weakness is defending and yet they put him on the PK or or play him with Schmidt who was the worst partner for him. They keep trying to fit a 6’7” Peg into a square shut down hole and that has him playing to his weakness. One of the things that bothered me is the season before (If I recall correctly) they seemed to prioritize his partner more than Morrissey’s partner by giving Stan DeMelo and then playing a 6-7 type scrub with Morrissey. Now in fairness that season was a mess personnel wise but that blunder was grounds for termination IMO.

I am at a point where this is the show me year for Stanley. He is by no means too old to improve and he will be in a new system so I am not giving up but the challenge is he is taking up a spot and that spot is valuable considering the strength of our prospect pool is with our D. I would prioritize Samberg over Stan now since he plays a bigger game and is a much better defender and yes this is actually his thread (LOL). I would also want to give any minutes to Heinola now over Stan since they are both play a puck moving role and Heinola has more talent in that area and might be less of a defensive liability. That gets me down to Stan vs Chisholm and I think that Declan is looking like he might have more potential. Now don’t get me wrong they aren’t putting Chisholm above Stanley on the depth chart “yet” but he is starting to look like he could pass Stan soon if they let him. All this can look better if things start coming together this season for Stanley in a new system so we’ll see but they have to get him slotted in the right spot now and that is not in the top 6 unless they are moving out some vets. I have at Stanley at 8 now starting next season if we are coming back with the same line up.

This was a tough season for him (he was not alone) he took a step back when he needed a to take a step forward.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I also think they were making progress - LY was better (even under easier circumstances) -
I think this year he was caught up in the mess they were all caught up in - a complete breakdown in their end.
I don't agree with your description of the player - bolded above - that's a bit harsh considering how bad guys like Smitty and Pionk were at defending.

You give him a shot under new coaching - as I noted - that's how much longer you give him.
Stop being so reasonable! That’s not what we do here.

We were told Stan was a long term project. Last year he was heavily sheltered and did well, there is some thing to build on with that. This year I think he tried too hard to do more with his passing instead of making the easy rookie play he tried too often to go with a more difficult pass and got burned.

The evaluations around here in the last two years have been a wild ride. He was way up last year and way down now just 50 games later. From “we got to get this guy more time on ice” to “it’s been a whole 95 Fn games bring on the next chord of wood for the prospect fire!“

For the young jets D in order of who I think are the best #1 is Samberg easy, no one close. #2 Stanley, I think he can still improve and has some base to work from. A distant #3 Heinola just a head of Chisholm and Kovacevic.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The part I really don’t get is how the coaches don’t seem to understand what they have in Stan. He is a puck moving Defenseman who’s weakness is defending and yet they put him on the PK or or play him with Schmidt who was the worst partner for him. They keep trying to fit a 6’7” Peg into a square shut down hole and that has him playing to his weakness. One of the things that bothered me is the season before (If I recall correctly) they seemed to prioritize his partner more than Morrissey’s partner by giving Stan DeMelo and then playing a 6-7 type scrub with Morrissey. Now in fairness that season was a mess personnel wise but that blunder was grounds for termination IMO.

I am at a point where this is the show me year for Stanley. He is by no means too old to improve and he will be in a new system so I am not giving up but the challenge is he is taking up a spot and that spot is valuable considering the strength of our prospect pool is with our D. I would prioritize Samberg over Stan now since he plays a bigger game and is a much better defender and yes this is actually his thread (LOL). I would also want to give any minutes to Heinola now over Stan since they are both play a puck moving role and Heinola has more talent in that area and might be less of a defensive liability. That gets me down to Stan vs Chisholm and I think that Declan is looking like he might have more potential. Now don’t get me wrong they aren’t putting Chisholm above Stanley on the depth chart “yet” but he is starting to look like he could pass Stan soon if they let him. All this can look better if things start coming together this season for Stanley in a new system so we’ll see but they have to get him slotted in the right spot now and that is not in the top 6 unless they are moving out some vets. I have at Stanley at 8 now starting next season if we are coming back with the same line up.

This was a tough season for him (he was not alone) he took a step back when he needed a to take a step forward.
Everyone needed to take a step forward - JoMo and Samberg were the ones that managed to do that.
And since this is the Samberg thread, I'm very happy to see him take that step - because he is the Dman we needed back there - more so than so called puck movers that struggle with defending. And there are a few of those guys on this team including up and comers.

Your remaining points make for good debate - but as you noted, this is a Samberg thread so I'll leave it for another time (and another place).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Everyone needed to take a step forward - JoMo and Samberg were the ones that managed to do that.
And since this is the Samberg thread, I'm very happy to see him take that step - because he is the Dman we needed back there - more so than so called puck movers that struggle with defending. And there are a few of those guys on this team including up and comers.

Your remaining points make for good debate - but as you noted, this is a Samberg thread so I'll leave it for another time (and another place).

Yea what I like about Samberg is that he defends better but he is no slouch when it comes to puck transition either. You get a 2 for 1 with him he just doesn't generate allot of points.

Last edited:

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
I've liked what I've seen when he's in the lineup. He seems competent in his own end, not overly physical but will still play the body when he has to. He's also decent with his first pass, I fully expect the points to grow with more time in the show and the confidence that comes with that.

It was a bit of a tough year from an injury perspective, hopefully a few months off to get ready for next season will help. Him and Gus just can't catch a break from an injury perspective, hopefully they're able to get that fixed, can only imagine how frustrating that must be for them.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The issue with Stanley is that all the things you mentioned that he has major issues with are the exact same things he's had massive issues with going back to his draft year. The kid has always been miscast as a defensive dmen, his defensive play has always been a giant cluster f***.

What he has is a hard shot and a bit of puck skill and vision. Unfortunately not enough of it to make up for his lack of foot speed and poor defensive play.

He made some strides under Vincent in the AHL but he has a huge up hill climb. I think he deserves an opportunity with a new coaching scheme but the things you have mentioned are the things they have been working on with him for 7 years now with minimal improvement. How much longer do you give him?
Thats what has been missing in some of these guys, Pascal Viscent bolted for greener pastures. Then they have been scrutinized, I mean utilized by PM and Muddy-Huddy! Finally some hope for improved coaching, play-style infusion that fits this roster, hopefully!! All may not be lost on a few of our picks still hanging around.

I've liked what I've seen when he's in the lineup. He seems competent in his own end, not overly physical but will still play the body when he has to. He's also decent with his first pass, I fully expect the points to grow with more time in the show and the confidence that comes with that.

It was a bit of a tough year from an injury perspective, hopefully a few months off to get ready for next season will help. Him and Gus just can't catch a break from an injury perspective, hopefully they're able to get that fixed, can only imagine how frustrating that must be for them.
Look at JMo. Taken a few years to figure it out! And top-minutes, icetime situation helps too.

Reactions: James Lahey

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
After a bit of a rocky start, I think Samberg has settled in nicely.

Happy to see him in the 3 LHD position. Simple north south game with a good first pass.

End of last season I wanted to move Dillon because Samberg was playing well and could potentially fill his spot but I think Dillon has had a positive influence on Samberg's game.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
S
After a bit of a rocky start, I think Samberg has settled in nicely.

Happy to see him in the 3 LHD position. Simple north south game with a good first pass.

End of last season I wanted to move Dillon because Samberg was playing well and could potentially fill his spot but I think Dillon has had a positive influence on Samberg's game.
Samberg is a placeholder. Maybe in a year or two, since he’s only 23, but the best thing I can say about him so far is that some games I don’t notice him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he eventually replaces Dillon as the 2LHD.
I've been in his corner since he was drafted.
I see him starting to use his size and maybe even a mean streak developing?

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Place holder for who? I expect him to round into a long term player for the organization.
Place holder for who? I expect him to round into a long term player for the organization.
Placeholder for a steadier defenseman that we may find within our system, or via free agent or trade.

Again, he is only 23 and one day he may be a solid if unspectacular sixth defender. It’s not that he’s horrible, it’s just that he’s been the most overrated prospect/player in this forum since before he turned pro.

I think he eventually replaces Dillon as the 2LHD.
I've been in his corner since he was drafted.
I see him starting to use his size and maybe even a mean streak developing?
C’mon Ducky, Dillon is more pugnacious in one shift than Samberg is in a season. Samberg is a puffed wheat. I would love to see him play angry, or even mildly annoyed.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Placeholder for a steadier defenseman that we may find within our system, or via free agent or trade.

Again, he is only 23 and one day he may be a solid if unspectacular sixth defender. It’s not that he’s horrible, it’s just that he’s been the most overrated prospect/player in this forum since before he turned pro.

C’mon Ducky, Dillon is more pugnacious in one shift than Samberg is in a season. Samberg is a puffed wheat. I would love to see him play angry, or even mildly annoyed.

Are you basing this on viewings with the Moose or...? Because I've liked his game so far this year and feel like he's coming along. Haven't watched him much with the Moose, though.

Reactions: kanadalainen

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Are you basing this on viewings with the Moose or...? Because I've liked his game so far this year and feel like he's coming along. Haven't watched him much with the Moose, though.
Well, I remain hopeful that he gets to where some posters think he already is. But he needs to stop giving the opposition so much respect. Time to play a little mean.

I still think the defenseman with the biggest upside in the Jets system is Chisholm, but I'm dismayed by his minus 6 so far this season (although I don't watch the Moose play, so I can't comment whether that minus 6 is due to playing the toughest minutes, bad luck, or just sloppiness on his part).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think the Jets would be very happy with his development to this point. You seem to be stuck on him not running guys over. He may not be overly physical at this point, but he is making a lot of good decisions with the puck, and is making a good first pass. His underlying numbers are very solid, especially for a raw rookie. At 30 games in I don't think much more can be expected.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think the Jets would be very happy with his development to this point. You seem to be stuck on him not running guys over. He may not be overly physical at this point, but he is making a lot of good decisions with the puck, and is making a good first pass. His underlying numbers are very solid, especially for a raw rookie. At 30 games in I don't think much more can be expected.
That would be amazing if he was a placeholder and we had a much better 6th because then we’d have 6 too 4 guys. Most likely berg gets there.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I need to see what he can do with tougher mins or without having a reliable guy like DeMelo. So far it's looking good but everyone should keep in mind that Stanley looked amazing in similar role and deployment in his rookie year (to the point that many here wanted him to be protected in the XD over Morrissey). So I am cautiously optimistic but not sold yet.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As far as running guys over goes, I have read some comments insinuating that Samberg’s development makes Dillon expendable and that would be a mistake. Replace Dillon with a non intimidating player makes us vulnerable to more physical teams, especially come playoff time.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I have mentioned it before but I am not crazy on some of his decision making with the puck. I am hopeful more reps and confidence will level that out, and he can become an effective shutdown guy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As far as running guys over goes, I have read some comments insinuating that Samberg’s development makes Dillon expendable and that would be a mistake. Replace Dillon with a non intimidating player makes us vulnerable to more physical teams, especially come playoff time.
Personally I wouldn't trade Dillon. I quite like him, and he adds some of the toughness we need. The player I trade would be Schmidt, but IMO that trade sailed after early July. I think/hope Chevy gets it done next off season. I think next season the most likely D group is:

JoMo-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Heinola
Stanley

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pionk and Schmidt have always been the smart money to move. Something's going to have to give once Stanley's back. Samberg has already usurped his position while costing less on the ice and on the cap hit. I wouldn't take Samberg out for Stanley.

Reactions: Buffdog

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Pionk and Schmidt have always been the smart money to move. Something's going to have to give once Stanley's back. Samberg has already usurped his position while costing less on the ice and on the cap hit. I wouldn't take Samberg out for Stanley.
I see Stanley as a fine 7th d. Fine to play when there are a bunch of injuries but not in your regular line up when everyone is healthy.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I’ve seen enough good things from both Schmidt and Pionk but if I had to choose which to keep, that’s tough..
Schmidt is like an old Swiss Army knife..
He seems smarter than Pionk, gets into good position and has more beef..
Pionk on the other hand has some legs to keep up with the younger guys and can snipe a bit..Which would you keep if we have Slamberg on duty? Who does he play better with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad