Player Discussion: dylan samberg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Next year, could have quite easily. 2 of the 3 RHD they have right now will likely not be here next season.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if all of the 3 RD on the team are back here next year. Nobody internally is going to replace them. Whereas you could looking at moving Dillon, and replacing him with Samberg, and then replacing Samberg's lineup spot with Heinola. And having Chisholm or Gawanke if he resigns fill the 8th defenseman role...Beyond that Lundmark as a RHD will be in the final year of his ELC, so he may get some promotions at an injury replacement level to see if he is capable in the NHL.

I'm not sure big defensemen are the way of the future, since the faster guys seem to be more effective, in general. Which is the mold Samberg falls into. I think the coaching change has changed the style of the Jets defense significantly, where quickness is more valued than under Maurice's tutelage.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That would be super disappointing. i miss him less than Postma.

Postma was supposed to be an offensive Dman but he never managed to generate any offense in the NHL. Meanwhile, he was awkward and tentative defensively.

Kovacevic is a defense first Dman. He played well defensively. He also managed to chip in with 3 G, 15 pts for Habs. He's big, physical, skates well and defends well and scores a bit on an offensively challenged team. Yeah, nothing to miss there.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He has been absolutely dynamite. You wonder if he gets the same opportunity had Stanley not gotten hurt twice for long chunks of time. That is the main thing with the Jets D that gives me doubt. You need an injury for a guy to show what he has but if luck turns out that there are no injuries for the guy to step in we might be wasting an asset like Kovacevic or even Heinola or even a guy like Chisholm next season.
So what are you thoughts on when he'll get a top 4 look or spot?

Dillon is still here for one more year.
They've barely ever wavered off him as a second pair LHD.

To me Samberg a really good third pair defender right now. I don't want to label him anything beyond that as of yet.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

To me Samberg a really good third pair defender right now. I don't want to label him anything beyond that as of yet.

The Athletic contract value assessment I saw on twitter has him valued as a $6.9 million a year player. He is also due a contract extension. Even if he signs a bridge, he will probably get a nice raise so I am not sure the Jets could even have the luxury to keep him on the 3rd pair with already expensive cotnracts like Schmidt on the 3rd pair. I would imagine Pionk/Dillon being moved to make room to give Samberg an expanded role and also make room for Heinola/Chisholm.

Reactions: TommyKillian

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Still pissed Chevy f***ed up with Kovacevic. The Jets in house D solutions with Samberg, Ville and the two you mention, along with Kovacevic, really helps any rebuild the Jets will be facing. Lost him for Kyle Copabianco ffs! What a waste.
I'd put Cappo at approx same level as Kovy, though being a RHD might have provided more long term value. In retrospect Chevy would have been best off trading Stanley and having Cappo and Kovy as the 7 and 8 defenseman. They are the same age but bring something different to the table.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Next year, could have quite easily. 2 of the 3 RHD they have right now will likely not be here next season.

IDK that we see either Pionk or Schmidt moved, if history is any guide. I suspect that the team views itself -- finally -- as having a strong--ish D and won't want that to change anytime soon.

This is also an org that does not seem to want to lose trades, or even be seen to lose them, and they clearly value Pionk enough to not sit him when he's obviously out of sync and playing hockey badly enough to actively hamstring the team.

Schmidt was as we know coveted by Chevy and waived to come here. Maybe he volunteers to move on, but if not he's likely here.

Stanley gets moved, and maybe Heinola or Chisholm get bumped up to the 7-8 spot. I doubt they see much to invest in with Gawanke and outside of Samberg -- who was still a healthy scratch for stretches this year -- they've shown little inclination to play young D any sooner than they absolutely have to, which means that Ville may be looking at another season for the Moose.

I'd put Cappo at approx same level as Kovy, though being a RHD might have provided more long term value. In retrospect Chevy would have been best off trading Stanley and having Cappo and Kovy as the 7 and 8 defenseman. They are the same age but bring something different to the table.

Agree.

Capo has been fine in small doses but what they needed was an RHD who could play a steady, heavy game with few errors mostly as a 6/7/8.

That was already Kovy and may never be Stan or Capo -- and certainly not as a RHD.

Reactions: hn777 and Ducky10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Athletic contract value assessment I saw on twitter has him valued as a $6.9 million a year player. He is also due a contract extension. Even if he signs a bridge, he will probably get a nice raise so I am not sure the Jets could even have the luxury to keep him on the 3rd pair with already expensive cotnracts like Schmidt on the 3rd pair. I would imagine Pionk/Dillon being moved to make room to give Samberg an expanded role and also make room for Heinola/Chisholm.
Didn't really answer the question lol

I think bridge is smart for him or course. I don't think he's built up enough of a resume playing 80 nhl games, at under 15 mins /GP to anchor himself to a long term aav at this point.

Will he make the Calder list?
Probably not.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The advantage we have right now is Samberg and Schmidt are a really good 3rd pair that are killing their match ups. That does provide an edge. I remember in 17-18 when Our team was healthy we could riling Kuli and Smurf’s on the 3rd pair and that provided quality depth.

Reactions: surixon

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Just shows how important it is to give young players NHL reps as part of their development. All to often people are trying to justify burying promising prospect in the minors because they are not better than some random journeyman early on in the season. Give them NHL reps and coaching and by season end they can play a much bigger role than that journeyman ever could. Of course you need to pick the right prospects so you don't end up blocking Samberg and Heinola for the sake of Logan Stanley.

Reactions: RabidOne

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd sign Samberg now.

8 x 3.75m or 30m over 8 years.

That’s my guess
Which players or where does Chevy get the replacements?
I'd love to see Schmidt get moved but I don't think it happens.

Also, if we trade Dillon, I think Chevy keeps Stanley but I think Stanley gets moved at the draft or just before.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just shows how important it is to give young players NHL reps as part of their development. All to often people are trying to justify burying promising prospect in the minors because they are not better than some random journeyman early on in the season. Give them NHL reps and coaching and by season end they can play a much bigger role than that journeyman ever could. Of course you need to pick the right prospects so you don't end up blocking Samberg and Heinola for the sake of Logan Stanley.
I think the organization tries to give opportunity. This year we saw a lot given to Samberg, Perfetti and Barron. Heinola might have been there as well if he wasn't exposed so badly when he did get his games. Knowing when to keep players at their current levels when they aren't yet ready to move up is also part of player development. And in Lambert's case knowing when to drop a player down a level can be the best thing for their development. NHL reps are of no value if the end result is permanently damaging a players confidence in themselves.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Still pissed Chevy f***ed up with Kovacevic. The Jets in house D solutions with Samberg, Ville and the two you mention, along with Kovacevic, really helps any rebuild the Jets will be facing. Lost him for Kyle Copabianco ffs! What a waste.
Lol so we're bitching and moaning about losing a 26 yo ahl defenseman for a 26 yo pb guy who's played well in pretty much every game he's got into.

Jesus people will complain about anything.

I'm sure you were also enraged when we let Comrie go 🤣

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lol so we're bitching and moaning about losing a 26 yo ahl defenseman for a 26 yo pb guy who's played well in pretty much every game he's got into.

Jesus people will complain about anything.

I'm sure you were also enraged when we let Comrie go 🤣
Bitching, moaning and enraged? C’mon man, it’s a discussion board.
I think the points made by myself and few others are valid. If you want to frame everything from that perspective, carry on.
Kovacevic played pretty well for the Habs this year btw. Nobody said it was the end of the world but the move made little sense then and still doesn’t.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Bitching, moaning and enraged? C’mon man, it’s a discussion board.
I think the points made by myself and few others are valid. If you want to frame everything from that perspective, carry on.
Kovacevic played pretty well for the Habs this year btw. Nobody said it was the end of the world but the move made little sense then and still doesn’t.
Oh, so you just get pissed really easily?

Noted.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The advantage we have right now is Samberg and Schmidt are a really good 3rd pair that are killing their match ups. That does provide an edge. I remember in 17-18 when Our team was healthy we could riling Kuli and Smurf’s on the 3rd pair and that provided quality depth.
He is a good 3rd pair and he is playing exactly how Bones wants him to -
which is to say, he's playing a very safe game.
We needed another dman that played that type of game and he fills the role nicely.

His potential next step, at some point, will be to see how he can play when he's more aggressive offensively.
Right now, he's hangs back very high when the guys are on offense - you don't see him getting caught up ice very often (if ever) but you also rarely see him involved in the offense.

I'm fine with that - and we need that type of dman out there. He absolutely makes things a lot easier on Smitty who can get more involved up ice and is less of a factor (neg) defensively.

I wonder if he's grown enough to offset some of the d issues with Pionk - that might be worth looking at if they are looking to tighten things up a bit on that 2nd pairing - just a thought . . .

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Samberg has played responsibly so far in the playoffs - our D in the past would make bad pinches or step up and try to hit someone and get out of position, but he seems to be pretty steady. Not bad for a 3rd pair.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We needed another dman that played that type of game and he fills the role nicely.

His potential next step, at some point, will be to see how he can play when he's more aggressive offensively.
Right now, he's hangs back very high when the guys are on offense - you don't see him getting caught up ice very often (if ever) but you also rarely see him involved in the offense.

I'm fine with that - and we need that type of dman out there. He absolutely makes things a lot easier on Smitty who can get more involved up ice and is less of a factor (neg) defensively.

I wonder if he's grown enough to offset some of the d issues with Pionk - that might be worth looking at if they are looking to tighten things up a bit on that 2nd pairing - just a thought . . .

Yea Neil probably got a sun burnt from that red light going on every time he got close to it in our end :laugh:. Who knows how Bones will want to play this going forward I am just happy Samberg is playing so well in his existing role.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I think you’re largely right about him playing a safe game, but I think over the past month that’s where I’ve seen a difference in his game. He is more willing to skate with the puck, delay to make a better outlet and jump up into the rush. It’s not a ton but towards the end of the season he had a couple of decent scoring chances from around the dot. He’s never going to be elite offensively but the skating and puck skills are there for him to be a great lockdown 2nd pairing guy who can add a bit of offense.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I kinda see it both ways. Losing Kovacevic clearly seems like a mistake. But it’s not the end of the world. A 7-8 defenceman will have little impact either way. Just like I think it was stupid to get rid of Eyssimont… but he’s a 13/14 forward so I think the planet will keep spinning. These are just minor disagreements I have with the team, it’s no biggie, I’m just an arrogant, opinionated person, evidently.

Maybe it’s a bit odd to bring up these marginal players after some months, but, we are hockey nerds. It is HF, after all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yea Neil probably got a sun burnt from that red light going on every time he got close to it in our end :laugh:. Who knows how Bones will want to play this going forward I am just happy Samberg is playing so well in his existing role.
Yeah I'd say Pionk has been the biggest disappointment so far this series.

I really tight he was turning it around in the last 5 or so games of the season but he's back to playing a indecisive timid game.

He needs to start skating with the puck and laying some hits, his game seems to build from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad