Player Discussion: dylan samberg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've been high on Samberg since he was drafted.
I see him topping out as a 2LHD, 1st PKer, 30 point rough and tough D man.
Like I've said, If I were GM and he would sign for 8 years for 30m, I'd sign him yesterday. I think he is just scratching the surface of how good he will be.

I like that Bones sat him for some games. It's a long season for a rookie and it is a good idea to keep the 7th and 8th D men as fresh as possible. I just wish Heinola was getting some of those games but I guess next year is his time to shine.

Chevy wasn't kidding when he said that comment about letting the rookies over ripen with the Moose.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love Samberg's play this year. I hate the fact that some people are down on him, for his mistake in OT. He has a bright future.
Anyone who is down on him is simply a fool.

Hockey is a game of mistakes and that was just an incredibly random result. He made the right play there it just didn't work out the way it was intended.

Samberg has been incredible for us, especially considering this is his first playoff experience.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I love Samberg's play this year. I hate the fact that some people are down on him, for his mistake in OT. He has a bright future.
I don't think most folks are down in him or his future overall. People are allowed to dislike a play he made in critical point of an important game.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Not a fan of his, he’s not physical, can’t score, coughs up the puck way too much……at least Stanley can play physical and get shots on net.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Samberg has been fantastic especially in the latter half of the season. Kid has a real bright future and we have ourselves a real gem. I love that Lowry and Bowness publicly supported him, and I have no doubt his teammates have done same privately.

One of the reasons Jets org drew in Lauer and Johnston was that there was a recognition of their ability to communicate with the younger generation, and the need for that in todays organizational climate. No doubt Samberg is being supported in the best way by all, as is Perfetti's (hopeful) return to the line up. And if you do not think that is important, I am sorry but that frame of thinking is very antiquated.

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Anyone who is down on him is simply a fool.

Hockey is a game of mistakes and that was just an incredibly random result. He made the right play there it just didn't work out the way it was intended.

Samberg has been incredible for us, especially considering this is his first playoff experience. it’s not just last night it’s been all year long. I don’t see anything in his game to get excited about….. rookie or not he coughs up the puck way too much

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Some of my t-shirts related to the recent conversations...

20220128_042601.jpg

20220106_044305.jpg

ps_0013_police1_2_0b8f9fb3-aa24-4dc4-8437-65f4e60d3812.jpg

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Big events tend to stick in people’s minds and become their frame of reference. It’s natural to be frustrated at the play Samberg made and project it onto his entire game. It’s not reality though, he’s played very well so far considering where he is in his development. He has a bright future and if he stays on his current upward trajectory, should be a solid #4 for the Jets for quite some time, if he sticks around.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
guy made a mistake. if mistakes are going to be scrutinized, ole cement legs should be on the fourth line with le chef boi barely playing as well with his lack of hustle
Both scheifele and especially Wheeler get shit on extensively for mistakes. Ive found the commentary for Samberg's pretty tame, despite it leading directly to a GA at a very critical time in a high stakes game.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
Both scheifele and especially Wheeler get shit on extensively for mistakes. Ive found the commentary for Samberg's pretty tame, despite it leading directly to a GA at a very critical time in a high stakes game.

giphy.webp

I haven't been taking notes, but le chef boi seemingly lacks in hustling. he also had that one play with the puck exiting the zone during a powerplay. that's just headshaking

just to quickly say, le chef boi made that one huge hit on evans (on the habs) when the circumstances were most favorable for him to do so (e.g. evans vulnerable and scoring an empty netter, not anticipating the hit.) why doesn't he try like that more? (rhetorical mostly)

as for ole cement legs, seems like his body just doesn't do what he is trying to will it to do these days. he also seems to not get back and/or play defensively enough while also making mistakes, but again, I'm not disputing what you wrote about samberg and appreciate your post. I just am trying to recall from memory here

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think it comes with the territory. Scheifele and Wheeler have both been first line players, and leaders of the team for years. Samberg is still young, and in his first full year as a Jet. The expectations are much higher on the Jets top guns.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Not a fan of his, he’s not physical, can’t score, coughs up the puck way too much……at least Stanley can play physical and get shots on net.
I agree. It seems the people who are high on him were the ones predicting that he would dominate right out of the gate. He isn’t physical, is prone to poor decisions and has very little offensive upside. The funny thing is, I actually thought he played one of his better games before his big gaffe. I think he’s just one of those guys you put in when you’re ravaged with injuries… I am surprised he is on the regular roster.

Big events tend to stick in people’s minds and become their frame of reference. It’s natural to be frustrated at the play Samberg made and project it onto his entire game. It’s not reality though, he’s played very well so far considering where he is in his development. He has a bright future and if he stays on his current upward trajectory, should be a solid #4 for the Jets for quite some time, if he sticks around.
Borderline 6th on a non playoff team unless he shows big improvement.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I agree. It seems the people who are high on him were the ones predicting that he would dominate right out of the gate. He isn’t physical, is prone to poor decisions and has very little offensive upside. The funny thing is, I actually thought he played one of his better games before his big gaffe. I think he’s just one of those guys you put in when you’re ravaged with injuries… I am surprised he is on the regular roster.

Nah, he’s better than that and he’s improving. Ceiling is much higher than a borderline 6.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think it comes with the territory. Scheifele and Wheeler have both been first line players, and leaders of the team for years. Samberg is still young, and in his first full year as a Jet. The expectations are much higher on the Jets top guns.
Yes of course. But it's weird to bring up scheifele or wheelers mistakes to alleviate Samberg's, when neither of the two had one that resulted directly into the GWG in a PO OT game.

If scheifele/wheeler do, I'm sure this forum will be on fire. But so far for samberg I found it to be quite tame given the end result even given the age/experience gap.

Well he's already surpassed your proposed ceiling as he's a good 3rd pair defender on a playoff team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3