Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
If the Sedins played for next to nothing I would get that warm fuzzy nostalgia thing. Any other way they should be gone. Just time to move on, I like the ability to spend the money differently.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Sedins can still be productive, particularly on the pp....but for a team in the Canucks position, re-signing these franchise icons for another farewell season makes little sense imo......I mean unless kids like Pettersson and Gaudette are the second coming of Gretzky and Messier, the Canucks are well below the playoff bar again next season.....what sense would it make to bring them back for a last hurrah?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I actually think the smartest thing the Sedins could do is sign for $1M (and NMC) - sends a message that they are trying to do their best for the team and at this point do they really care whether they get $1M or 3M?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Since the Canucks will be out of the race again next year I am actually hoping the Sedins go to a contender so I can watch them in the playoffs.

I do not think that they have any intention of retiring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benning doesnt sign low dollar contracts

Will he even be here to make the call?

My main fear is that management will sign the twins before a new GM is hired.

We also need to be realistic. Eriksson is a buyout proof contract because most of his money is in signing bonus, so the buyout is then 2/3 of his base salary, so instead of taking a $2 million cap hit for 8 years, it's over $4 million or whatever per year since you are paying out 100% of the signing bonus money. Gagner at $3.15 million? Is he moveable? Could be, but you're taking back a contract either way.

I'd rather go with Bo's line, give Gaudette and whomever his line mates will be the Sedin's sheltered type minutes, let Sutter's line do the checking and add a vet to help out the last line to be a defense/PK unit so that Bo doesn't have to do a tonne of PK.

Cause, if you bring the twins back, Bo is the next in line after Sutter to take defensive draws. Don't you want to have his line take more offensive zone draws? Think, that if the twins are back as veterans, that they need to be able to do that and let the kids handle more of the offence, but that's not their forte. So, best to move on.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Maybe there will be another lockout after 2019, recapture penalties would be eliminated, and buyouts that don't count against the cap would be given out again.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Yes I would like them back for one more year for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't want to immediately pencil guys like Pettersson, Gaudette and Dahlen into top 6 roles. Ideally they could start in the AHL and earn a call up.

2) I don't want to sign any long term free agent deals. If they are willing to sign cheap one year contracts I don't see how we could expect anything better from outside free agents.

3) For all the crap they get about their on ice performance they are consummate professionals that young players look up to for their approach to the game off the ice.

4) The new core is still going to be too young to realistically compete next year. We are going to be bad again so I'm not overly concerned that they are declining as players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Great leadership doesn't land you in the toilet for years on end. I discount any leadership arguments.

On ice they are simply too slow. End.

Where do you see last year or this year's team in the standings if they had good leadership?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The twins have had wonderful careers but with respect to their legacy, I would like to see them retire gracefully.....at the end of this season.

I think guys like Horvat, Boeser, etc, are enough to drive and lead this team.

With the freed up cap, the Canucks can comfortably re-up the RFA's that they want, while also taking a gander at the UFA market if need be.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's time to part ways and sculpt the new core. As long as the Sedins are here they will be seen as the faces of the franchise. Further to this, their deployment is what is holding back some youth. Their extreme offensive zone starts should be going towards sheltering some younger players (like Goldobin if he's still here, Virtanen, Pettersson, etc. ).
Yeah I think this is an important point cause like u say u kinda wanna shelter your young inexperienced guys with holes in their game and get them more opportunities to succeed andbuild confidence and be challenged on their weaknesesses. Goldy and Virtanen and yeah esp next year if the Gaudefather PBP and others are up with the team

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
I'm also on the ship that sails with a one-year contract at low salary (less than $2M per please) in order to tutor the incoming young Swedes on what it takes to be a professional. Anyone that thinks they are unable to do that (who said "be good in the community?") should shake their heads. The Sedins came into the league as scrawny kids with all the talent and willingness to work, but not the knowledge on how to work. And yes, I understand that today's athlete is better equipped to jump into the league and hit the ice in stride, but the little things that make great players into stars is what the twins can teach. Listen to what Bo said, Boeser repeated and any number of vet and rookie alike have said about them.

All that said, I will stress that the salary must work for our club... and there should be a willingness to at least consider a move at the TDL to get assets for the organization (do not pull a Sundin).

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I just want them gone. I appreciate their personal accomplishments and how they almost won the Canucks a Cup but I'm ready for a change. They'll probly stick around at least one more year for the mentorship tho.

It's weird but they've never been my favorite players despite having unreal talent and making teams look silly when they were in their heyday. Hard to put a finger on it..probly a combination of their bland personalities, their un-marketability, Daniel getting poked 6 or 7 times by Marchand with no response, the never-ending questions about being able to tell them apart, the Linden love and the deteriorating powerplay just to name a few.

They're unreal hockey players tho, just so bland and not in my wheelhouse of superstardom.

I fell in love with Boeser and Bure within a few games tho. Strange how it all works when it comes to picking faves.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm also on the ship that sails with a one-year contract at low salary (less than $2M per please) in order to tutor the incoming young Swedes on what it takes to be a professional. Anyone that thinks they are unable to do that (who said "be good in the community?") should shake their heads. The Sedins came into the league as scrawny kids with all the talent and willingness to work, but not the knowledge on how to work. And yes, I understand that today's athlete is better equipped to jump into the league and hit the ice in stride, but the little things that make great players into stars is what the twins can teach. Listen to what Bo said, Boeser repeated and any number of vet and rookie alike have said about them.

All that said, I will stress that the salary must work for our club... and there should be a willingness to at least consider a move at the TDL to get assets for the organization (do not pull a Sundin).

Only problem is you are dreaming. If the Sedins come back it wont be for less than 5 million a season each. Any thoughts on whether people want them back or not has to be based on that reality.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
14m banked is worth more in a cap world than two 38 year olds who don’t lead in anything on this team save for maybe hooking penalties taken. I’m sorry, but replacing two 38 year old Swedish twins with (who I call our next set of Swedish twins) is more valuable just in experience gained than any type of “nostalgic mentoring” they’re gonna get! The Canucks have about 5 forwards who should get cups of coffee over the next two years at a bare minimum and only 2 real roster spots opening next season. The Canucks also have 3 veteran roster forward signed through those 2 years in question!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
14m banked is worth more in a cap world than two 38 year olds who don’t lead in anything on this team save for maybe hooking penalties taken. I’m sorry, but replacing two 38 year old Swedish twins with (who I call our next set of Swedish twins) is more valuable just in experience gained than any type of “nostalgic mentoring” they’re gonna get! The Canucks have about 5 forwards who should get cups of coffee over the next two years at a bare minimum and only 2 real roster spots opening next season. The Canucks also have 3 veteran roster forward signed through those 2 years in question!

Might as well see what is out there.

Twins ate an option. Irregardless of whether they want to return the final decision falls on the Canucks.

If it doesn't work for the team, call an end to it.

Also, consider how green deploys his lines. Sedins are getting tonnes of sheltered minutes. Might as well give that to younger kids and have the last line take more of the defensive zone draws after sutter and save bo's line for more offensive situations.

Still have Eriksson, gagner on the roster. Likely drop Sven down a line and put a kid with bo and Brock to even out the rookies.

See if they can pick up a cap dump from another team to gain an asset (short term only, like a year not multi year)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yes I would like them back for one more year for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't want to immediately pencil guys like Pettersson, Gaudette and Dahlen into top 6 roles. Ideally they could start in the AHL and earn a call up.

2) I don't want to sign any long term free agent deals. If they are willing to sign cheap one year contracts I don't see how we could expect anything better from outside free agents.

3) For all the crap they get about their on ice performance they are consummate professionals that young players look up to for their approach to the game off the ice.

4) The new core is still going to be too young to realistically compete next year. We are going to be bad again so I'm not overly concerned that they are declining as players.
To be honest, unless they grew up a Canucks fan, I don’t think young playerz really look up to the twins.
If you ask anyone outside of BC what’s their impression about the Sedins, most of them think of the Marchand face bag pucnching incident. I mean how can you really look up to a person in this way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad