Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Sedins are a collective -34 and yet only have 69 points between them, 27 of them with the man advantage. They mainly play against other teams second and third lines. On top of that, Henrik's faceoff % is bad, they don't hit or provide physical play or even block shots. People want to see another year of them, slowly cycling the puck and providing next to no offense and be defensive liabilities? Sorry to break it but if you haven't noticed they're finished.

Reactions: pomorick

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
To be honest, unless they grew up a Canucks fan, I don’t think young playerz really look up to the twins.
If you ask anyone outside of BC what’s their impression about the Sedins, most of them think of the Marchand face bag pucnching incident. I mean how can you really look up to a person in this way

duhhhhhhhhh the only good thing in life is violence

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
To be honest, unless they grew up a Canucks fan, I don’t think young playerz really look up to the twins.
If you ask anyone outside of BC what’s their impression about the Sedins, most of them think of the Marchand face bag pucnching incident. I mean how can you really look up to a person in this way

I wonder if our two Swedish forward prospects that we're looking to bring over feel the same way.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Bring them back for another year for anywhere between 3-4 million.

They’ve been lifetime Canucks... they don’t deserve to be forced out the door by fans. It looks horrible upon the organization. The Sedins are smart men... if they and management agree that the benefits outweigh the shortcomings of them coming back, they’ll be back. If they feel like they can’t contribute, they’ll retire. They’re not looking to make a quick buck as nothing has ever suggested this. I’m also generally not into the idea of gifting roster spots to young players. If they can work their way into the lineup, good for them. I’d also like to see them compete amongst each other for those spots. There’s a fantastic opportunity for a lot of the guys to have a VERY successful year in the AHL next season and grow together while playing ~20 minutes per night. I have zero issue with that and then bring up the kids along with Demko as the bonafide #1 in a changing of the guard in 19/20. That is the year where this team is expected to start turning the corner. Get another solid pick this year along with next year and then it’s game on.

Related to that thought process, who really gives a damn about cap space next season... I hope the Canucks don’t sign anyone in Free Agency to be honest unless it’s another low-cost Vanek attempt at selling high and accumulating picks. Last thing I want is another Eriksson signed for far too much for far too long. I’d take the Sedins at 3 mil instead of paying some middle of the pack 40-50 point guy for a 4+ mil multi-year contract.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Would love them back for cheaper and 1 yr deals.

Hall of famers who have done a hell of a job in the community and for the franchise.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It's time to part ways and sculpt the new core. As long as the Sedins are here they will be seen as the faces of the franchise. Further to this, their deployment is what is holding back some youth. Their extreme offensive zone starts should be going towards sheltering some younger players (like Goldobin if he's still here, Virtanen, Pettersson, etc. ).

Just saw this post.

I completely agree with this. I'm taking time to quote this because it's not too often that me and Pauser are in complete agreement on something. :o

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Believe or not, that 10 secs of Marchand punching Daniel Sedin in the face and then walk away freely without anyone agitate him, it summurize the last decade of this franchise

You mean choosing a strategy that didn't end up working?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Believe or not, that 10 secs of Marchand punching Daniel Sedin in the face and then walk away freely without anyone agitate him, it summurize the last decade of this franchise

Oh god..........this again.

Daniel Sedin was simply trying to draw a penalty. Period. Anything to trigger momentum for his team, even if they were getting shelled badly (5-2 if I recall?).

The correct call to make was to give Marchand a penalty and put the Canucks on the power play. Instead - Kelly Sutherland decided to penalise both players since Daniel questioned as to why it took so long to make the call.

Ridiculous stuff.

Ridiculous that the Canucks didn't get a PP out of it, and ridiculous that Daniel got branded as a coward for not retaliating.

Reactions: F A N

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It’s insane that this is your take as a Canucks fan, it’s clear you just started cheering for the team recently.

Suggesting that it’s hard to look up to some of the greatest people to even play the sport is mind boggling, and actually disgusts me. Choosing to allow one of the biggest dirtbags in the sports history attempt to get under their skin as the moment that defines them as players is absolutely insane and you should be embarrassed. If you actually followed the team in 2009/2010 Daniel Sedin was criticized for allowing Dave Bolland to get “under his skin” because he retaliated to something he did in the playoffs. Stop trying to push this moronic narrative.

But yeah let’s not look up to two of the classist athletes ever, who are absolute pillars in the community because a dirt bag punched them once and they didn’t do anything about it.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Of course, go ahead and question my status as a fan just because I question the Sedins “ reputation” and “ ability to mentor and play role model” for young players. My post is probably on the same level of disgustingness as the “Do they Sedin actually want to win?” thread.
I guess being a Canucks fan means you can’t question the greatness of the Sedins that this entire city built for them. I mean most of this fan base see a game 7 embarrassed home loss in the SCF as a great memory.
In fact, let’s extend them for another 8 years because none of us is or will get tired of watching them.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It’s insane that this is your take as a Canucks fan, it’s clear you just started cheering for the team recently.

Suggesting that it’s hard to look up to some of the greatest people to even play the sport is mind boggling, and actually disgusts me. Choosing to allow one of the biggest dirtbags in the sports history attempt to get under their skin as the moment that defines them as players is absolutely insane and you should be embarrassed. If you actually followed the team in 2009/2010 Daniel Sedin was criticized for allowing Dave Bolland to get “under his skin” because he retaliated to something he did in the playoffs. Stop trying to push this moronic narrative.

But yeah let’s not look up to two of the classist athletes ever, who are absolute pillars in the community because a dirt bag punched them once and they didn’t do anything about it.
The biggest dirtbag in the sports history ( it’s actually Burrows let’s be honest but Marchand is up there with him) actually win something meanningful by stepping over some of the greatest ppl to play the sports

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Oh god..........this again.

Daniel Sedin was simply trying to draw a penalty. Period. Anything to trigger momentum for his team, even if they were getting shelled badly (5-2 if I recall?).

The correct call to make was to give Marchand a penalty and put the Canucks on the power play. Instead - Kelly Sutherland decided to penalise both players since Daniel questioned as to why it took so long to make the call.

Ridiculous stuff.

Ridiculous that the Canucks didn't get a PP out of it, and ridiculous that Daniel got branded as a coward for not retaliating.
Yes, I agree that we should definitely get a PP out of that whole scandal.
But how...how did a grown man, a professional athlete like Daniel Sedin, did not do a single respond toward Marchand at that moment is beyond me.
And I guess more importantly, teammates just let that happened for a good 10 seconds, I mean seriously..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But how...how did a grown man, a professional athlete like Daniel Sedin, did not do a single respond toward Marchand at that moment is beyond me.
And I guess more importantly, teammates just let that happened for a good 10 seconds, I mean seriously..

Seriously? Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in which a win would win the Cup and you can't understand why a professional athlete like Daniel Sedin would stay disciplined in an effort to draw a penalty so the league's #1 PP can get on?

Why did Ali use the rope a dope against Foreman?

Reactions: Hit the post

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yes, I agree that we should definitely get a PP out of that whole scandal.

I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but I tend to have the same viewpoint as @F A N on this one. I think the Canucks were simply trying to draw a penalty, be disciplined, and find a way to crawl back via PP. It's also possible that the Canucks knew that the Bruins were a team that fed off emotion and negative hate (i.e. the Luongo/Thomas comments), and so it's possible that they thought it would be better to not "fire up" Boston any further before Game 7. I think it's likely that AV told the Canucks to focus on playing whistle-to-whistle and not cater to Boston's strength (negative emotion).

At the end of the day though - 2011 was almost 7 years ago now. An almost perfect season. Why be angry over something that happened such a long time ago?

Canucks will have their day in the Sun again. Back in 1998, I also heard things like, "it will take the Canucks 20 years to get back on track,' and what not.

Even the Oilers, post 2006, who had one of the most brutal rebuild stretches in hockey history, appear to be (slowly) turning a corner.

Most guys on here are aged between 18-40. It's very likely that we'll see at least 1-2 more 1994's and 2011's before our time passes.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. Enjoy it for what it's worth. The ups, the downs, everything.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but I tend to have the same viewpoint as @F A N on this one. I think the Canucks were simply trying to draw a penalty, be disciplined, and find a way to crawl back via PP. It's also possible that the Canucks knew that the Bruins were a team that fed off emotion and negative hate (i.e. the Luongo/Thomas comments), and so it's possible that they thought it would be better to not "fire up" Boston any further before Game 7. I think it's likely that AV told the Canucks to focus on playing whistle-to-whistle and not cater to Boston's strength (negative emotion).

At the end of the day though - 2011 was almost 7 years ago now. An almost perfect season. Why be angry over something that happened such a long time ago?

Canucks will have their day in the Sun again. Back in 1998, I also heard things like, "it will take the Canucks 20 years to get back on track,' and what not.

Even the Oilers, post 2006, who had one of the most brutal rebuild stretches in hockey history, appear to be (slowly) turning a corner.

Most guys on here are aged between 18-40. It's very likely that we'll see at least 1-2 more 1994's and 2011's before our time passes.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. Enjoy it for what it's worth. The ups, the downs, everything.
Oh I’m not pissed or anything
I’m just really tired of the Sedin this and Sedin that in the past 5 years.
I mean Loui freaking Erkisson is the result of this entire franchise valued the Sedins more than the future FFS
And even now, they still have the right to call the shot on whether they want to resign or not, it’s like they own this entire franchise
I really look forward to the day that the Sedins are no longer players of the Canucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Oh I’m not pissed or anything
I’m really tired of the Sedin this and Sedin that in the past 5 years. I mean Loui freaking Erkisson is the result of this entire franchise valued the Sedins more than the future

I definitely understand where you're coming from on this.

I think the Canucks have a solid enough leadership group now (Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, etc.) where they can part ways with the twins, and use that cap space to re-up the RFA's that they want, and to also possibly explore UFA options.

I think @y2kcanucks said it best though - the twins' offensive zone starts should be going towards sheltering some younger players like Goldobin, Virtanen, and Pettersson, etc.,

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Why? To teach them to be good in the community?

Not sure if you are pro or anti-tank. I am extraordinarily pro-tank. One more season max in more limited role as the young players develop. The Sedins have first hand experience of being high draft picks with a lot of pressure to develop and Pettersson is walking into a similar situation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad