Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Absolutley not,,they owe this city nothing,and its time to move forward without them.They are not needed for mentors,i think we have enough of those over paid ,lacking skill vets on this team,who can show the kids how to loose.But thanks Dan and Hank for years of service...

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Might want to leave empty net goals out of the equation. Most nights they are the only line holding their heads above water on shots/chances. Sad but true.

All really comes down to your philosophy on how to develop young players, setting aside the fact that they don't have enough good young players, and whether you think it best to throw them into the deep end or not. I don't think that works well, and most former players seem to agree with me on that to the extent that is worth anything, but the reality is neither route works well without the right young players.
That’s just the thing though. The Sedins get by far the easiest minutes in the team among forwards. If they were playing the hard minutes and keeping their heads above water it’d be a much different story. Those sheltered minutes should be going to guys like Goldobin down the stretch.

The most valuable vets for a rebuilding teams are the guys who can play tough minutes like Edler/Tanev. Those 2 free up easier minutes for the rest of the dcore.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
as decent fourth line possession players players that can play on the 1/2 PP unit while also being able to player 2nd line minutes to compensate for injuries, yes I'd like them brought back

as mentors to the swedish youth that could be potentially in the NHL next season in Petersson and Dahlen (maybe even Dahlin), yes I'd like them brought back to help those guys in transitioning from Sweden to learning to make Vancouver their home

I hope with understanding where the team is currently at and being realistic about their last years they'll be okay with taking 2 million cap hit each for the next 2 seasons

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
They're two of my favourite players ever but they're done. They're liabilities at this point. They're getting the softest minutes in the NHL and are being outscored by a nearly 2:1 ratio when they're on the ice. They simply can't keep up with the play at this level anymore at ES and are getting eviscerated.

Time to gut the roster of old, slow players and give our young talent the icetime and opportunity to show what they can do. Even if they fail, the results won't be any worse than what we're seeing already.

Not really true if you look at normal play. At 5-on-5, Henrik has been outscored 28-23 when on the ice. They're also #1 and #2 on the team in Corsi, Fenwick, shots F/A, scoring chances F/A, and xGF% on the team. Obviously usage plays into that a lot, but even zone start adjusted stats have them maintain their #1 and #2 ranking in all of those categories.

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
Absolutley not,,they owe this city nothing,and its time to move forward without them.They are not needed for mentors,i think we have enough of those over paid ,lacking skill vets on this team,who can show the kids how to loose.But thanks Dan and Hank for years of service...
I hope whatever new management we have shops out all the useless vets that aren't the Sedins (and maybe Vanek). If you asked me which 2 out of all the vets I would want anywhere close to this team in the coming years it's easily the Sedins over Gagner/Sutter/Granlund.

One year deal. 4M each. Keep mentoring the kids. Pettersson especially.
4 million each is too much imo, something around 4-5.75ish million for them in total is fine but more than that and I'd be wary of it. Here's hoping they take a hometown discount and sign for 3.5 milllion (1.75 each).

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
That’s just the thing though. The Sedins get by far the easiest minutes in the team among forwards. If they were playing the hard minutes and keeping their heads above water it’d be a much different story. Those sheltered minutes should be going to guys like Goldobin down the stretch.

The most valuable vets for a rebuilding teams are the guys who can play tough minutes like Edler/Tanev. Those 2 free up easier minutes for the rest of the dcore.

Not sure what you mean by easy minutes. If just zone starts then fair enough but I still see them get more that their share of the opponents top D pair.

No one is saying they are a top line anymore, but the notion they are dragging the team down this year is absurd. Doesn't mean you have to bring them back, and the team will be bad either way, but it gets back to the question of what is best for the development of younger players. I happen to think they play a key role in that but obviously that is open for debate.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Not only that the a large portion of the wasted draft picks was to accelerate a retool so they could be a part of a winner again.

They are a part of the problem now.

*Not good 5v5
*Sponge all the prime Ozone starts and still leave their winger and defenseman chasing after players and pucks.
*Holding back the new generation from taking hold of this team
*And most importantly, setting up our Coaches for being unable to implement accountability and merit based reward system

The only position they don't hurt us is as 4th liners that play PP but we all know that this won't happen and they will get ridiculous sums of money based on reputation and mutual respect from ownership and management. 1040 was beating this around last week and were saying 4-5 million without a doubt....for 38yr olds that have to be sheltered...NO THANKS

Take 2-2.5 each on a 1yr deal to play on a 4th line so i don't have to watch Dowd Gaunce and Boucher....I can live with that
Really, you actually believe 1040 decides what they get? You believe the Sedin's need or want any more money? Do you think they understand what is going on here, and want to contribute to the success of the team by not asking for an exhorbitant amount to finish off their careers here? You might actually be correct when you ask them to take a 2 or 2.5 deal...would not surprise me at all but it sounds like most people would be very surprised!

Last edited:

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
“Playing the right way” is the most stupid narrative ever.
Veterans coasting, making bad plays and getting embarrassed by the opponents. You call that lead by example?? **** this regime

Ya thats a quote thats been spouted by the leadership here for a few years now.

Its Henrik saying we need our young players to play the right way, and that our young players need to earn their minutes.....blah blah blah

This team needs a culture change badly. We need a captain that says we need everyone to earn their minutes not just the young players.

It drives me nuts when the young players get ragged on by the leadership yet not once have the crappy leadership held themselves accountable for not finishing their checks, taking bad penalties, not giving maximum effort every shift..... isn't that what they mean by "playing the right way"?

Virtanen gets ragged on yet Erkisson and Sutter and Granlund can play just as bad and be just as unnoticeable yet they have never been called out. The Sedins for all their talk about playing the right way and earning their minutes don't seem to be leading by example either.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not sure what you mean by easy minutes. If just zone starts then fair enough but I still see them get more that their share of the opponents top D pair.

No one is saying they are a top line anymore, but the notion they are dragging the team down this year is absurd. Doesn't mean you have to bring them back, and the team will be bad either way, but it gets back to the question of what is best for the development of younger players. I happen to think they play a key role in that but obviously that is open for debate.
Zone starts having a bigger impact on player performance than quality of competition. The Sedins get way too many offensive zone starts and I’m not sure their capable of being effective at 5v5 if given less o-zone starts. I know some sites adjust for zone starts and such but I still think that they’d wear out a lot faster in games if they were given more d-zone starts. They’re a liability defensively at this stage.

I’ve read a couple of well-researched and calculated articles on this very subject. I’ll try to find them if I can, one was on an obscure blog-style website.

I’m a big Sedin fan and still enjoy the occasional display of Sedinary that they provide but I’d like to see the team move on and the Sedins retire while they’re still putting up respectable numbers instead of going out like Doan/Jagr.

This team needs to get faster.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Mixed reactions for me but leaning more toward no.

They are the best mentors for young players from their experience, hard work and leadership especially with Petersson joining in a year or two. Useless vets are players like Vanek, Gagner and Eriksson for the long run. Sedins boost the power play as they are skilled enough to produce in that area with their playmaking, and puck awareness. I think they will want short term contracts, good enough to be on the third line at least.

On the other hand
You want a new change in the core as it's been 12 years of this team of being Sedin's team.
As long as they are around, it will still be their team. They have been liabilities at even strength for the past few years. Kinda tired of seeing how utterly slow they are in moving their feet for these past few years, which makes them easy to check. Like old grizzled men playing hockey.
People demand change after years of seeing the same identity over and over.
Give the reigns to Horvat and Boeser.

Ultimately I voted for no since I want a new identity for the team.
Should be Horvat and Boeser's team now.
I don't want to see the Sedins as shelves of their former selves anymore. I want to remember them as superstars only, not what they are now, so they need to retire quick as respectable productive players.
I respect them the most out of any Canuck out there, but it's time to move on.

Last edited:

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Some interesting parallels from when we walked from Naslund. It wasn't an easy move to make, but it was ultimately best for the franchise. Naslund retired after one year in New York and they had to eat his contract.

Bo and Boes deserve to take over this team.

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
Some interesting parallels from when we walked from Naslund. It wasn't an easy move to make, but it was ultimately best for the franchise. Naslund retired after one year in New York and they had to eat his contract.

Bo and Boes deserve to take over this team.
It's weird though, Naslund led the Rangers in scoring with 24 goals that first year and also ended with 46 points. It was a 2 year, 8 million dollar contract so Rangers had to eat 4 mill for one year.

What was our cap situation in 2009? Would be have been able to keep him for one more season at 4 mill?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
“Playing the right way” is the most stupid narrative ever.
Veterans coasting, making bad plays and getting embarrassed by the opponents. You call that lead by example?? **** this regime

Look at the most recent games. Where is the veteran mentorship and leadership.

No show against Buffalo at home.
No show against Florida 3 games later
No show against Carolina last game. 3 out of the last 6 games have been no shows.

Next season, Goldy turns 23 near the start of the season. Gaudette turns 22 at the start of the season. These aren't teenagers.

Only Petterson is the teen.

Bo, Brok, Sven
Loui, Gagner, Virtanen
Goldy, Gaudette, Pettersson
Sutter, Gaunce, Granlund
Archibald?

Figure out the final 1-2 spots. Granny's spot is up for grabs if they can find a better player.

Loui is unmovable. Gagner, yeah, let's see how happy Aquaman is about spending $4.1 million to buy out a guy after 1 season.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
cant remember if Naslund still got paid the year after his retirement but Im certain his cap hit didnt count.

“Apr 28, 2010. However, since Markus Naslund's 35th birthday was after June 30, he was 34 as of June 30, thus his retirement removes his cap hit.”

I was under the assumption he forfeited his 2nd years salary when he retired

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Big Sedin fan. Want them back, with minimal minutes and 2nd PP time. NO more than $2,25M each. And thats pushing it. If those terms don't interest them, fine lets move on. Voted yes, but certainly only if a very very very reasonable contract. And a one year contract with a NMC.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Probably not (although let’s see how they finish the year) but I’d much rather have them than Eriksson and Gagner next season. Vanek and Sutter too.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Zone starts having a bigger impact on player performance than quality of competition. The Sedins get way too many offensive zone starts and I’m not sure their capable of being effective at 5v5 if given less o-zone starts. I know some sites adjust for zone starts and such but I still think that they’d wear out a lot faster in games if they were given more d-zone starts. They’re a liability defensively at this stage.

I’ve read a couple of well-researched and calculated articles on this very subject. I’ll try to find them if I can, one was on an obscure blog-style website.

I’m a big Sedin fan and still enjoy the occasional display of Sedinary that they provide but I’d like to see the team move on and the Sedins retire while they’re still putting up respectable numbers instead of going out like Doan/Jagr.

This team needs to get faster.

Well, they have always been offensive guys not defensive guys so I am not sure that it should be a surprise they get a high % of O zone starts. I also would not lump them together on the defensive liability issue but I agree that Henrik has real issues now as an aging Centre. Daniel is actually skating better than he has in the past but certainly the shot is largely gone.

I certainly get the argument about people wanting them to move on and that may well ultimately be the best thing for the team. However, I think that the two of them being around to take some heat off the young guys (not to mention coming into camp as the two most fit guys on the team) has real value in the development of the younger players. Not a science though and certainly it has to end at some point.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
I'm conflicted. I think there is some value in them being around for one more year if Pettersson is on the team. However, I think it would be best if they retire on a high note. I don't know if they can maintain this current level of play at softly deployed minutes. Their production is all they have left and removing it will take a significant chunk out of the team's offensive output.

Their departure would truly expose this team for the steaming pile of garbage that it is. Botchford is right. We would be just as bad as Arizona without the Sedins. I think a season without them would sober up all those fans that think Jim Benning is doing a good job. I would be interested to see how quick they would be to his defence if he is here next season and the Canucks duplicate what the Coyotes are doing in the standings. The hockey is bad now. Imagine how awful it gets if they struggle to win in regulation during the first 20 games of next season.

Reactions: dim jim

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
well let's see, eriksson's still here next year, he's got an expensive unmovable contract. sutter's still here, he's got an expensive unmovable contract. gagner, yup. so that's an entire line of dog crap you have to play next year. if we're going to suck anyway, might as well hold onto the sedins one more year and let them let petterson and dahlen (yes, dahlEn) live in the carriage houses of their respective southlands mansions.

i mean, unless benning gets fired the alternative is what? a giant chunk of cap space that we could invest in... james van riemsdyk and david perron for eight years each?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The ONLY reason why I'd consider the Sedins back on one year deals is if Benning was still the GM. Any cap space they would take up on a re-up would mean less cap space Benning could waste on a long-term deal on a guy like Kane. One Eriksson contract is bad enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad