Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't NOT want them back. I just can't think of many good reasons to bring them back. It really depends on how many your players are pushing for spots next year. Maybe they need AHL time and there are two spots for the Sedins to come back cheap.

Overall it's not about whether I want them to come back or not. It's about what's best for the team, and I honestly think it's best to move forward.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I love what the Sedins have done for the Canucks and for the City of Vancouver. They have always been a class act. However, it’s time for them and the Nucks to move on. In their prime, they were innovative and the best at the type of game they played. But the game has evolved and passed them by. In today’s game that relies on speed, it’s painful to see them look like they are skating in quicksand. The Canucks need to establish a new identity and new leadership. That can’t be done with the Sedins still around.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh god..........this again.

Daniel Sedin was simply trying to draw a penalty. Period. Anything to trigger momentum for his team, even if they were getting shelled badly (5-2 if I recall?).

The correct call to make was to give Marchand a penalty and put the Canucks on the power play. Instead - Kelly Sutherland decided to penalise both players since Daniel questioned as to why it took so long to make the call.

Ridiculous stuff.

Ridiculous that the Canucks didn't get a PP out of it, and ridiculous that Daniel got branded as a coward for not retaliating.

You take 1 jab for the team. 2nd Jab to enforce the call.

But taking the 3rd and 4th jab that's on Daniel for not protecting himself and allowing someone to simply abuse him.

Score was 5-2 right? Was the PP clicking? Not really. Taking the jabs had the reverse effect if Daniel was hoping for a PP. Gave Gave the bruins more freedom to continue to abuse and take liberties on the Canucks.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
With Benning signed the Sedins will be back.
They talk about getting younger and faster but they keep trotting out an old slow veteran team that finishes in 28th.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
With Benning's extension, I wonder if he gives them another year? If they follow the model they opened the season with, the Sedins are outside the top six. Will they accept appropriate money? It's quite a drop! Signing slow older players that need sheltered minutes doesn't sound useful to a rebuild.

I reiterate, the Sedins could coach!

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Their good games are fewer and further between. Bad vs Florida tonite. Thanks for your past but theres less and less to like about them being here next year

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Their good games are fewer and further between. Bad vs Florida tonite. Thanks for your past but theres less and less to like about them being here next year

Yeah they may get PP points, but on the whole their NHL careers are done. I cannot see any team wanting them. they may be SHL bound. Can they take Ericksson with them?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Voted yes largely based on Benning's extension. Better that Benning uses his cap space on the Sedins rather than overpaid mediocre veterans on multi year deals.

Waive Gagner and don't bring back Vanek if you're worried about the young forwards not getting enough offensive looks.

Reactions: Mr Plow

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yes, I agree that we should definitely get a PP out of that whole scandal.
But how...how did a grown man, a professional athlete like Daniel Sedin, did not do a single respond toward Marchand at that moment is beyond me.
And I guess more importantly, teammates just let that happened for a good 10 seconds, I mean seriously..

Canucks get PP
Score
Turning point of game
Canucks win the SC

If the ref makes the right call people would be mocking Marchand and praising sedin's restraint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caspian and timw33

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
We are, without doubt, going to be terri-bad again next year, with our without the Sedins. I would like to see them go so we can finally turn the page to whatever is going to come next... but at the same time, if signing them to some short term deal keeps Benning from signing some other UFA load stones to longer deals, I'm okay with it.

In a perfect world I'd rather have them next year than Eriksson and Gagner... probably Sutter too, although he's at least somewhat useful.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
At about 3-4 mil id take them back. You cant just throw in youth blindly for the sake of doing it, you could ruin a kids confidence by keeping him in the NHL if hes not ready, thats how the Isles almost destroyed Nino. Thats a disaster waiting to happen. If Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen etc dont come in ready you need to be able to have a decent line up still. We arent playing Darren Archibald on the 2nd line. Sam Gagner,Brandon Sutter and Loui Erikssons contract are what kills the team. I dont see anything wrong with Sedins getting 14-15mins per night next year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There remains two correct answers to this question:

1) on a well-run team that needs to get younger and faster and has young players ready to step in, having two 38 y/o dinosaurs taking all of the sheltered minutes we have because they're basically unplayable at ES, so that we can't develop kids in those minutes, is idiotic.

2) on a Jim Benning-run team, using up our cap space signing the Sedins to short term deals is vastly preferable to the ghastly, franchise-altering mistakes this moron would otherwise use this cap space for.

Reactions: PM and Caspian

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
At about 3-4 mil id take them back. You cant just throw in youth blindly for the sake of doing it, you could ruin a kids confidence by keeping him in the NHL if hes not ready, thats how the Isles almost destroyed Nino. Thats a disaster waiting to happen. If Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen etc dont come in ready you need to be able to have a decent line up still. We arent playing Darren Archibald on the 2nd line. Sam Gagner,Brandon Sutter and Loui Erikssons contract are what kills the team. I dont see anything wrong with Sedins getting 14-15mins per night next year.
The problem is the Sedins need easy minutes to be productive, otherwise they are liability on the ice.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'd prefer to have them back on discounted one year deals..instead of getting bogged down with the devil 'we don't know' on the open market.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I feel it's time to move on. But, I'd rather the Sedins's sign 1 yr deals than Benning hand out another 6x6 to over the hill UFAs. Bringing the Sedins back means no long term damage is done this July. Benning won't be around for too much longer so we need to keep him away from the UFA market.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
FA market is pretty meh this year. It kinda scares me to think of Benning with an extra $14 mil to play with. If we get Dahlin,if Peterson makes it and if they sign for cheap and accept 10-12 min a game I can deal with one more year. Too many ifs tho

Reactions: Caspian

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
FA market is pretty meh this year. It kinda scares me to think of Benning with an extra $14 mil to play with. If we get Dahlin,if Peterson makes it and if they sign for cheap and accept 10-12 min a game I can deal with one more year. Too many ifs tho

I just say no because I think them coming back pushes Bo into the 2nd option for the Defensive draws behind Sutter. If there are youngsters in the lineup next season, they are likely on a different line than Bo and the Twins. So, ideally, I'd like to see another line setup to take the defensive zone draws after the Sutter line. Gives Green the option to either send Bo's line out or another line.
Sedins, with their experience, not being able to take the defensive zone draws hurts the team and takes away offensive zone starts for Bo's line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad