Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's time to part ways and sculpt the new core. As long as the Sedins are here they will be seen as the faces of the franchise. Further to this, their deployment is what is holding back some youth. Their extreme offensive zone starts should be going towards sheltering some younger players (like Goldobin if he's still here, Virtanen, Pettersson, etc. ).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I never said that.

Its not the twins fault that management caters to them.

The reality is that Linden and Benning have made numerous comments regarding the Sedins calling their shots,how a rebuild isn't fair to the Sedins, how the twins are Canucks for as long as they want to be, how they need to know the Sedins long term plans before they can formulate a strategy for the trade deadline, etc.....

I'm not blaming the Twins for the front office mess, thats on the front office.

Its just time for a change, if a new management team comes in this offseason the last thing I want to hear from them is any indication that they need to run their plans by the Sedins

That's spot on. Until there is a management group who can see the twins for what they are now, not what they were, this team can't move forward. The Sedins should be viewed as an option for next season. It shouldn't be, if they want to play, "here's the check book, fill in your number". If there are better options to spend money on, do it. Don't fell obligated to sign them. If that means that they have to be Modano and Alfie and play a year in Detroit, before they retire, so be it. Marleau left SJ to Toronto.

Once the twins signed their 4 years $28 million extensions in Nov 2013, they were going to be Canucks for life.

The forward core after 13-14 was weak. Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Richardson, Mathias. Schroeder was 5 years removed from his draft, Jensen 3 years, Gaunce 2 (and needing AHL time), Bo and Shink a year removed.

The D core of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison was going to age quick. Hammer turned 32, KB 33, Garrison, 30 in 2014. Window was shrinking fast. Either push all the chips in or rebuild.

Reactions: moog35

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd give them a PTO only.

If guys like Pettersson and Gaudette suck ass in training camp (which I don't expect to happen), keep them in the bottom 6 getting limited ice time and putting them on one of the PP units. I'd also look at separating them at even strength.

If they're outplayed completely, I'd move on.

Although all of this is unrealistic as hell and I doubt any of it happens.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Maybe, Depending on price plus i would like to rub them on Ellie a little

giphy.gif

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Would be great to see them replaced by better, younger players. Only problem is that the Canucks don't have such players right now.

I know people want change but just wanting to see players who are better than the Sedins are at this stage of their careers doesn't mean it can/will happen. Sadly, their line is often the best line as both the numbers and the eye test show. Now, maybe those voting no really want to see the team bottom out which I suppose is fair enough.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would be great to see them replaced by better, younger players. Only problem is that the Canucks don't have such players right now.

I know people want change but just wanting to see players who are better than the Sedins are at this stage of their careers doesn't mean it can/will happen. Sadly, their line is often the best line as both the numbers and the eye test show. Now, maybe those voting no really want to see the team bottom out which I suppose is fair enough.

They also get offensive zone starts. Outside of an icing, they don't take defensive zone draws. People can complain about the black hole of offence from Gaunce, but someone has to kill penalties.

After Sutter, the next guy on the list to take the defensive draws would be Horvat. Do you want to see more of Boeser in the defensive zone.

They are better off using the Sedin's cap savings to go and overpay on short term deals on solid defensive forwards to handle the checking and PK duties, along with Sutter, Gaunce. Free up Bo's line and the kid line of Gaudette, Goldy, Petterson types to get the Sedin's offensive zone starts and let it roll.

Team isn't going to drop much farther down that it is now.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'd gladly welcome them back for another year if the price is right and we can get rid of Gagner (waive him, retain salary if needed, buy him out). We will still have room for Pettersson and Gaudette, and we're not exactly overflowing with quality veterans and mentors. Also, they have to be fine with getting fewer minutes and potentially getting scratched at times during the season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No. Their time is up and the team needs to move on. Having said that, I'll puke even more if the current GM is back.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
They also get offensive zone starts. Outside of an icing, they don't take defensive zone draws. People can complain about the black hole of offence from Gaunce, but someone has to kill penalties.

After Sutter, the next guy on the list to take the defensive draws would be Horvat. Do you want to see more of Boeser in the defensive zone.

They are better off using the Sedin's cap savings to go and overpay on short term deals on solid defensive forwards to handle the checking and PK duties, along with Sutter, Gaunce. Free up Bo's line and the kid line of Gaudette, Goldy, Petterson types to get the Sedin's offensive zone starts and let it roll.

Team isn't going to drop much farther down that it is now.

Is true that there is not far to drop in terms of the standings but there will be a drop. I am not a fan of throwing the kids to the wolves, and think they will develop better with some shelter, but at the end of the day it probably doesn't matter much as the team will be near the bottom for a while with or without the twins. Notion that the team instantly becomes "better" without them is false though.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
In Vancouver there is always this hand wringing about throwing kids to the wolves so we stick with mediocre stale veterans as the losses mount.

In other NHL cities it is not that big of a deal to insert young players into the line up and there are some teams winning a lot more than Vancouver by playing a lot more youth.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This fan base wants to go young but the franchise is tone deaf to the market.

I don't know how after another bottom 5 finish they can trot out the same veteran team that can't win in this league and sell it to the fan base.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
No to re-signing them.

I have the utmost respect for them as players and people. We may get worse without them, but so be it. We need a culture change. It's time.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
If they are committed to helping a rebuild, and both want to play for a league minimum and take trades at the deadline, then I would be happy to take them back.

This scenario is about as likely as them winning the cup this year. So no to having them back.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
We need to clear roster space, for Chaput, and Archibald. The twins have literally been holding them out of the lineup. /s Seriously though, who exactly are they holding back? They are getting roughly 15 mins a game which is an inflated number due to the injuries at the top of the lineup this year. They are by all accounts extremely good professionals, which has obvious value to demonstrate what it takes to make it in this league. As in rookie looks at their gym and practice habits, and says to themselves, "holy shit I need to work that hard!?!" and they have a model to follow.

Now you might say Goldobin is who they are keeping out of the lineup, but then so is every other player on the team and this team sucks, so what does that say about Goldobin? He is simply not good enough yet, and it is very possibly he never will be. There seems to be an implication that anyone could be an NHL star if only they were spoonfed minutes. Sorry, I mean anyone who has ever demonstrated a nice dangle from the age of 17+. It's nonsense. You either are good enough to take someone elses spot, or you aren't. Goldobin has not shown he is better than Sam Gagne let alone a Sedin at 37 years of age and Goldobin isn't going to teach Brock Boeser a damn thing.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Ppl keep saying mentor ship good veterans blah blah blah
They are bound to become average 3rd liner next season.
You can get those in free agency with a cheaper price

Cheaper than what? What if they sign for slighly below market value for a similar duo in terms of production, which seems extremely likely. In which case another duo would need to sign for significantly less than market value, which sounds like a stretch for any player without the strong Vancouver ties the Sedins have.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
In Vancouver there is always this hand wringing about throwing kids to the wolves so we stick with mediocre stale veterans as the losses mount.

In other NHL cities it is not that big of a deal to insert young players into the line up and there are some teams winning a lot more than Vancouver by playing a lot more youth.

Yep. I’ve never seen so much fear and trepidation around “ruining” young players or not showing them to “play the right way” or not “making them earn it” in any other market as this one. We are absolutely paralyzed by this notion of becoming the train wreck the Oilers were 2010-2016. Yet in trying to avoid this we’ve simply become a train wreck of equal magnitude but with lazy, expensive, soft vets instead of 18 year old kids.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yep. I’ve never seen so much fear and trepidation around “ruining” young players or not showing them to “play the right way” or not “making them earn it” in any other market as this one. We are absolutely paralyzed by this notion of becoming the train wreck the Oilers were 2010-2016. Yet in trying to avoid this we’ve simply become a train wreck of equal magnitude but with lazy, expensive, soft vets instead of 18 year old kids.
“Playing the right way” is the most stupid narrative ever.
Veterans coasting, making bad plays and getting embarrassed by the opponents. You call that lead by example?? f*** this regime

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
No thanks. With guys like Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner and Granlund already under contract for next season, we can't have two more veterans occupying roster spots that should be going to the younger players. This is especially true considering all the o-zone starts they'll be gifted if they're brought back.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's time to part ways and sculpt the new core. As long as the Sedins are here they will be seen as the faces of the franchise. Further to this, their deployment is what is holding back some youth. Their extreme offensive zone starts should be going towards sheltering some younger players (like Goldobin if he's still here, Virtanen, Pettersson, etc. ).
This

Reactions: Jack Burton

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They're two of my favourite players ever but they're done. They're liabilities at this point. They're getting the softest minutes in the NHL and are being outscored by a nearly 2:1 ratio when they're on the ice. They simply can't keep up with the play at this level anymore at ES and are getting eviscerated.

Time to gut the roster of old, slow players and give our young talent the icetime and opportunity to show what they can do. Even if they fail, the results won't be any worse than what we're seeing already.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
They're two of my favourite players ever but they're done. They're liabilities at this point. They're getting the softest minutes in the NHL and are being outscored by a nearly 2:1 ratio when they're on the ice. They simply can't keep up with the play at this level anymore at ES and are getting eviscerated.

Time to gut the roster of old, slow players and give our young talent the icetime and opportunity to show what they can do. Even if they fail, the results won't be any worse than what we're seeing already.

Might want to leave empty net goals out of the equation. Most nights they are the only line holding their heads above water on shots/chances. Sad but true.

All really comes down to your philosophy on how to develop young players, setting aside the fact that they don't have enough good young players, and whether you think it best to throw them into the deep end or not. I don't think that works well, and most former players seem to agree with me on that to the extent that is worth anything, but the reality is neither route works well without the right young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad