Proposal: Car-Tor

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Leafs free up 26M next season & Horton is still on Robidas Island & salary cap is going up.We can let Bozak etc walk & still have enough money to pay the big boys.
Exactly, I don't know what's with this narrative that we are gonna "struggle" to sign our trio of stars. We have an abundance of cap space starting next season going forward. No way are we moving Nylander for Slavin/Pesce.

Slavin and Pesce are very good players for Carolina, and it would be fair value IMO but I think Slavin/Pesce & Nylander have A LOT to offer their team going forward and both are still developing into stars. I don't see the Leafs pulling the gun on Nylander, they're VERY happy with his progression. Same can be said about the Hurricanes.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I agree.

I meant it as being he will be at least a 30 point defenceman.

Problem is, Toronto doesn't need just another 30 point defenceman. They need someone who can play big minutes and be dependable in their own zone. They need a top pairing guy, and preferably one that doesn't break the bank. Slavin and Pesce both qualify, as they make 5.3 and 4 million respectively.

I don't know if Dermott will ever be a 20 minute guy. He's playing 16 right now.

I'm not saying the Leafs should trade Nylander for anyone from Carolina. But to pass on Slavin or Pesce because we have Dermott is a bit silly. Pesce specifically (because he is a righty) would make Toronto a contender, in my humble opinion. He would be a huge add.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Problem is, Toronto doesn't need just another 30 point defenceman. They need someone who can play big minutes and be dependable in their own zone. They need a top pairing guy, and preferably one that doesn't break the bank. Slavin and Pesce both qualify, as they make 5.3 and 4 million respectively.

I don't know if Dermott will ever be a 20 minute guy. He's playing 16 right now.

I'm not saying the Leafs should trade Nylander for anyone from Carolina. But to pass on Slavin or Pesce because we have Dermott is a bit silly. Pesce specifically (because he is a righty) would make Toronto a contender, in my humble opinion. He would be a huge add.
I know it's a big burden to place on a rookie's shoulders, but everything about Dermott's game so far indicates to me that he's exactly the type who can play a lot of minutes reliably. He's very smart and poised. Obviously not everyone pans out, but that's what it looks like

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I know it's a big burden to place on a rookie's shoulders, but everything about Dermott's game so far indicates to me that he's exactly the type who can play a lot of minutes reliably. He's very smart and poised. Obviously not everyone pans out, but that's what it looks like

Not to put to much merit into it either but he is a +10 while playing with schmucks like Polak and Carrick. His positioning is great and he has the wheels to recover if he goofs up. he also has great vision and is built like a fire hydrant. I want to see how he plays next year to see what we really have before i move either Nylander/Marner

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Slavin or Pesce would probably be good adds. Would they be looked at in the same light if they played in a large market? Probably not.

Would I love to add either? Yes.

At the expense of Nylander? No.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The Leafs are going to have no problems paying the big three. What is op talking about? Lupus comes off the books, and so does JVR, Bozak, and Komarov. Cap is also expected to rise considerably next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Slavin or Pesce would probably be good adds. Would they be looked at in the same light if they played in a large market? Probably not.

Would I love to add either? Yes.

At the expense of Nylander? No.

Nylander and Marner wouldn't be looked at in the same light in a small market either. Reason why? No Matthews no 60 point seasons. See I can play this game too!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The Leafs are going to have no problems paying the big three. What is op talking about? Lupus comes off the books, and so does JVR, Bozak, and Komarov. Cap is also expected to rise considerably next year.

Even if the cap didn't rise and we gave them all 8 year deals, it wouldn't be a problem. The problem would be trying to add to the existing core....or extending Gardiner once Marleau's 3rd year kicks in and other analogous workarounds....those things are going to require tinkering.

Otherwise, this thread seems to have run its course. Both teams don't do it. Value is decent I suppose, but from the Leafs end, we don't need another LHD as good as Slavin is. And losing Nylander is creating a hole to fill another one- which isn't inherently a huge hole to begin with. Plus, I'd build my team from the middle->defense out regardless.

As mentioned, the only player on the Canes that fills the biggest hole for our team is Pesce..big, defensive RHD, young, cost-controlled. Don't want to get into cost as it's impractical.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Why worry about Toronto? Get Leon Draisaitl for Slavin!

He’ll, why Leon? Get McDavid for Slavin!

Nylander and Marner wouldn't be looked at in the same light in a small market either. Reason why? No Matthews no 60 point seasons. See I can play this game too!

That you think Matthews had anything to do with Marners production tell everyone you have no clue.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
He does impact Nylander's though, who is the one in the proposal. I will agree Mitch drives his own line

While playing sheltered minutes against weaker defensive pairings. That's because Auston picks up the top pairings. Hence my post. There was a post that basicslly said Slavin wouldn't be a top pairing in Toronto or any large market. Not sure why that is. We're all entitled to our own opinions though.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Reactions: CheMxDawG

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So many people have come on HFboards to talk about how cheap it would be to pick up their top 4 d-men.

If the prices were as low as people suggested surely they would have been in on a Hall deal.

The fact is that they aren't undervalued by the people with the power to make the trades.

I made a similar post just recently. If you look at the deadline, unless you think defenders like Phaneuf or Cole were a big deal, then after McDonagh, things were pretty lean. And this summer's UFA crop is pretty unspectacular as well. There's Carlson, unless of course that other Karlsson is made available.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Pens didn't play their best on Saturday, and I haven't watched any other games with him at C.

I still think of him as a player with tremendous vision, and who's best suited as a winger.
He's actually a much better center than he is a winger. He's a shoot first center but he's elite at zone entries and you absolutely want the puck on his stick. It's weird to say but Matthews may actually be holding Nylander back as far as goal scoring goes. Nylander always looks for Matthews but when they aren't playing together you can really see Nylander driving his own line. There's a reason why Nylander was seen as a potential #1 overall pick in his draft year. 90 point potential.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the leafs can sign Tavares, I could see them moving a nylander for a young top pairing dman.
If not, highly unlikely.

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Leivo - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Cheap UFA

Slavin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Andersen
McBackup

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Fair trade but wouldn't do it, Pesce is more attractive to us as he can play the right side, is more stay-at-home,. and we have enough very good PMD on the club and some lesser LHD PMD prospects internally.

Pesce doesn't get the conversation started on a nylander/marner though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00