Proposal: Car-Tor

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs don't need a shake up trade at all. Their cap situation is fine, they are making it into the playoffs for the second straight year and they have a ton of young players who will only get better.

I would rather wait it out let the players they have develop another year, maybe sign a stop gap UFA defender like Hainsey and see what happens. The Leafs have no reason to trade any of the big 3 as they are already playing and winning games with a young team.

Reactions: Cotton

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs have enough money to sign the big 3 to chiarelli like overpayments and still give Tavares a blank cheque to sign this summer. There’s no cap issues here in TO folks. #Fakenews
As for the proposed deal, I would rather add a first and or a prospect to Nylander and go get one of the impending UFA top caliber guys like a DD or a Karlsson or maybe OEL in a softer deal. In other words, not happening. TML doesn’t need more D, they need one Elite D to slot in next to Rielly and take everyone down a peg. Rielly Dermott Gardiner Zaitsev Carrick are all capable D men in the #2-#6 range with Borgman Liljegren looking like they both will be able to contribute in the next 12 months or so at the pro level.
Counter offer- on the draft floor if there’s a guy Carolina likes at the TML pick I’d do Kap and that first for Hanifin and Carolina’s 2nd

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
+23 over 82 games on a horrible team facing top lines every night . I'm not saying Nylander is a bad player. But Slavin commands a higher return than him as does Pesce not only for their abilities but for their favorable long term contracts.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. I think Nylander likely being a PPG player in the future makes a bigger impact than Slavin (although it's close) and definitely Pesce.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs don't need a shake up trade at all. Their cap situation is fine, they are making it into the playoffs for the second straight year and they have a ton of young players who will only get better.

I would rather wait it out let the players they have develop another year, maybe sign a stop gap UFA defender like Hainsey and see what happens. The Leafs have no reason to trade any of the big 3 as they are already playing and winning games with a young team.

100% correct. It's the Canes that need to make a trade like this to balance their team out. For that reason alone the Leafs wouldn't be handing over Nylander for a defenseman like Slavin.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You’re doing it wrong. You need to project Nylander as a future 100 point scorer while insinuating that Slavin won’t be in the league in three years.

If you're serious, Nylander could easily get Slavin, Pesce, and Aho. He's a perennial 200 point scorer in his prime, and a 199 point scorer in his decline.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fat chance of Carolina dealing Slavin, It's more Hanifin+ for Nylander. Slavin with Carolina is as untouchable as they come.

Given the sad state of affairs in Carolina, it's hard to fathom anything being untouchable.

That's a sleepwalking franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It took them years to grow some defenseman. They aren’t giving up the best one for a forward, just creating another hole on d.

I don’t view Nylander as the solution regardless, so it’s moot. I would center a deal around Hanifin for a good forward, but that’s it.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Also a polite no thanks. It's a fair value offer for sure but that would be yet another LHD...

I wouldn't be upset if the trade happened but we would definitely need to get a RHD for one of our LHD.

Also, Hanifin is stupidly sheltered. 63.4% OZS% ???

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Also a polite no thanks. It's a fair value offer for sure but that would be yet another LHD...

I wouldn't be upset if the trade happened but we would definitely need to get a RHD for one of our LHD.

Also, Hanifin is stupidly sheltered. 63.4% OZS% ???
Hanafin or slavin?

Feb 24, 2017
Oh you think Slavin is a 2D? Cute. Haven't heard that one before when attempting to devalue the Canes in efforts to fleece us.
As hard as they try and as much as you sweat it, no words that are typed on here have any actual nhl value. Where the actual gms are. Not video store employees on their krazrs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Looking at the OP's profile I'm gonna guess that he's a Hurricanes fan, which kinda surprises me. I thought it would be logical to offer up a d-man other than Slavin, because Slavin looks like a helluva 1st pairing d-man.

I'm really anti Toronto and coming in I kinda wanted to say that the value favours the Leafs... so to be fair, it's probably a decent trade. There's no way Leafs fans can say that this trade favors Carolina. If they want to complain that they're looking for a different handed d-man or that their management shouldn't be looking to sacrifice center depth to enhance the blueline that's fine, but I think they'd be crazy suggesting that 1 for 1 Slavin isn't as much or more than Nylander.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Looking at the OP's profile I'm gonna guess that he's a Hurricanes fan, which kinda surprises me. I thought it would be logical to offer up a d-man other than Slavin, because Slavin looks like a helluva 1st pairing d-man.

I'm really anti Toronto and coming in I kinda wanted to say that the value favours the Leafs... so to be fair, it's probably a decent trade. There's no way Leafs fans can say that this trade favors Carolina. If they want to complain that they're looking for a different handed d-man or that their management shouldn't be looking to sacrifice center depth to enhance the blueline that's fine, but I think they'd be crazy suggesting that 1 for 1 Slavin isn't as much or more than Nylander.

The original post says he’s a canes fan but I’ve never seen him on the hf canes board.

Didn’t notice a single other canes fan agreeing with the proposal.

No knock against Nylander at all, just wouldn’t want to move Slavin.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Honestly as a Flames fan (who watches more Tor than Car) would say this is a pretty solid offer, but if I'm correct, Slavin is Left handed? And Leafs would prefer getting a Right handed stay at home defender (Like M. Stone), and i don't think you can say Nylander is a 1C yet (to leafs fans) because he's played what? 10 games as a 1C? He may or may not be the solution in Carolina, but I'd think they would aim lower while trading a lesser dman(Slavin is literally their best dman, who would take his spot?) This is a fair all around trade, but I'm sure both GM's respectfully decline said offer. Don't make this a piss-piss thread because both players are respectively top line players/top pair players, they both bring in a hectic haul imo.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The Canes would have to add here.

So many people have come on HFboards to talk about how cheap it would be to pick up their top 4 d-men.
If the prices were as low as people suggested surely they would have been in on a Hall deal.

The fact is that they aren't undervalued by the people with the power to make the trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad