Proposal: Car-Tor

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fair trade but wouldn't do it, Pesce is more attractive to us as he can play the right side, is more stay-at-home,. and we have enough very good PMD on the club and some lesser LHD PMD prospects internally.

Reactions: iSophagus

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Nylander is already a proven 1C where Slavin is barely an NHL player apparently

Really? That's the conclusion you've gotten from this thread so far? Nobody's said anything remotely close to that. The worst he's been called here is a 2D, but way to take it to another level.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anyone that has a clue about anything understands that the Leafs will not have a problem signing Marner, Nylander and Matthews.

Dermott is looking like he can round out into a 30 point defenceman and hes two years younger than Slavin.

No thank you.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Decent proposal but I think the Leafs would prefer to add to Nylander and trade for a top end #1 D then a one for one trade.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Idk if I'd do this deal. But for canes fans wondering Nylander does project as a center longterm. He's playing mostly c with matthews out. And if not for a logjam with everyone healthy he'd be playing c for sure.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Anyone that has a clue about anything understands that the Leafs will not have a problem signing Marner, Nylander and Matthews.

Dermott is looking like he can round out into a 30 point defenceman and hes two years younger than Slavin.

No thank you.
Dermott's pacing for 28 points now, with bottom pairing minutes and no PP time. he's looking like he can be a lot more than a 30 point defenseman

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
As much a Slavin would be a great add, it would leave our fwd core wanting. (JVR/Bozak gone to f.A) Then factor in how Lilj has been developing. We are much better served to wait on Lilj, all we need him to be is a top 4 guy.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
This is a joke. Nylander isn't even a 1C which is what the Canes need. Nylander for Skinner. Larsson returned a Hall. Nylander is nowhere near a Hall and Slavin is like a Larsson if not better. Toronto needs to add for this to be fair. Nylander the glorious 1C has yet to out up 30 goal season and Skinner did in his first year and in a very bad team. That's a fair trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
With another year missing the playoffs and a new GM, the Canes might be prepared for a Jones/Johansen or Larsson/Hall type trade.

Toronto is not going to be able to pay Matthews/Marner/Nylander (especially since Marleau is on the payroll through 2020).

So Slavin for Nylander.

As a Canes' fan, I want/expect Slavin to be part of the core. But two things are reality: 1) The Canes need more offense, including from the D and Slavin might have a 40 point ceiling (whereas Hanifin and Bean might be 50-55). 2) Like the trades mentioned above, you have to give up something to get something.

Have at it!!

Why is it that other teams can have their stars making big money, but the Leafs can't A silly assumption that it's just the Leafs that can't afford their players.

Reactions: Cotton

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Projecting that way but still early days, what did you think of him Saturday?

The Pens didn't play their best on Saturday, and I haven't watched any other games with him at C.

I still think of him as a player with tremendous vision, and who's best suited as a winger.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
This is a joke. Nylander isn't even a 1C which is what the Canes need. Nylander for Skinner. Larsson returned a Hall. Nylander is nowhere near a Hall and Slavin is like a Larsson if not better. Toronto needs to add for this to be fair. Nylander the glorious 1C has yet to out up 30 goal season and Skinner did in his first year and in a very bad team. That's a fair trade.

And Erat returned Forsberg. See how easy it is to list a bad trade? I'm begging everyone, please stop using the Hall/Larsson trade as what you perceive as the new benchmark for all d-men.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Pens didn't play their best on Saturday, and I haven't watched any other games with him at C.

I still think of him as a player with tremendous vision, and who's best suited as a winger.

Wouldn't a player with tremendous vision benefit most at center?

So what has Slavin proven? He can lead a bad team in TOI?

Last edited by a moderator:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
oh no, Leafs might not be able to make our version of Hall for Larsson? well shoot, if you say so

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
So what has Slavin proven? He can lead a bad team in TOI?

+23 over 82 games on a horrible team facing top lines every night . I'm not saying Nylander is a bad player. But Slavin commands a higher return than him as does Pesce not only for their abilities but for their favorable long term contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

he looks a lot better at center, and it's what he's played most of his career

Reactions: Cotton

member 147413

Leafs will have no issues signing our players.

Marleau’s contract is not a hinderance in the slightest.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
With another year missing the playoffs and a new GM, the Canes might be prepared for a Jones/Johansen or Larsson/Hall type trade.

Toronto is not going to be able to pay Matthews/Marner/Nylander (especially since Marleau is on the payroll through 2020).

So Slavin for Nylander.

As a Canes' fan, I want/expect Slavin to be part of the core. But two things are reality: 1) The Canes need more offense, including from the D and Slavin might have a 40 point ceiling (whereas Hanifin and Bean might be 50-55). 2) Like the trades mentioned above, you have to give up something to get something.

Have at it!!

Leafs free up 26M next season & Horton is still on Robidas Island & salary cap is going up.We can let Bozak etc walk & still have enough money to pay the big boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad