Proposal: Car-Tor

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
With another year missing the playoffs and a new GM, the Canes might be prepared for a Jones/Johansen or Larsson/Hall type trade.

Toronto is not going to be able to pay Matthews/Marner/Nylander (especially since Marleau is on the payroll through 2020).

So Slavin for Nylander.

As a Canes' fan, I want/expect Slavin to be part of the core. But two things are reality: 1) The Canes need more offense, including from the D and Slavin might have a 40 point ceiling (whereas Hanifin and Bean might be 50-55). 2) Like the trades mentioned above, you have to give up something to get something.

Have at it!!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
With another year missing the playoffs and a new GM, the Canes might be prepared for a Jones/Johansen or Larsson/Hall type trade.

Toronto is not going to be able to pay Matthews/Marner/Nylander (especially since Marleau is on the payroll through 2020).

So Slavin for Nylander.

As a Canes' fan, I want/expect Slavin to be part of the core. But two things are reality: 1) The Canes need more offense, including from the D and Slavin might have a 40 point ceiling (whereas Hanifin and Bean might be 50-55). 2) Like the trades mentioned above, you have to give up something to get something.

Have at it!!

The Leafs won't have a problem paying Matthews/Nylander/Marner. They won't let a short term contract or two get in the way of keeping their future core. Contracts like Marleau's and/or Martin's are easily traded if need be.

I wouldn't move Nylander at this point for Slavin, as i'm still waiting to see if he'll stick at center long term. If so I think he's more valuable than Slavin. If Nylander is getting traded I would hope the Leafs are going big game hunting.

Reactions: Mork

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No chance. Slavin is anchoring the Canes defense for the next 8 years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Neither fan base will like it, but yea, it's probably roughly fair. Does that mean either team would do it even though it's trading from a strength to address a primary weakness? Probably not.

Though these types of hockey trades, essentially 1 for 1 trades of good players have been occurring more frequently. Jones/Johansen, Drouin/Segachev, Hall/Larsson, Henrique/Vatanen, Weber/Subban, etc.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You don't trade 1Cs for 2Ds

I wouldn't blame any other fan for looking at Slavin's stats + a handful of games and being skeptical that he is a #1D. Most Canes' fans consider him a #1D.
I don't think you would blame any other fan for looking a Nylander's stats + a handful of games and being skeptical that he is a #1C. I assume most Leafs' fans consider he has #1C potential.

When you have an excess of something you don't trade your best one. Slavin is currently the Canes best D by a mile. They would look to move Pesce, Hanifin, Faulk, Fleury, or Bean for a similar/lesser forward before ever considering moving Slavin.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Leafs won't have a problem paying Matthews/Nylander/Marner. They won't let a short term contract or two get in the way of keeping their future core. Contracts like Marleau's and/or Martin's are easily traded if need be.

I wouldn't move Nylander at this point for Slavin, as i'm still waiting to see if he'll stick at center long term. If so I think he's more valuable than Slavin. If Nylander is getting traded I would hope the Leafs are going big game hunting.

You wouldn’t consider a Slavin acquisition “big game hunting”?

I don’t blame you for wanting to keep Nylander, but Slavin would be a hell of a get for Toronto.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I don’t blame you for wanting to keep Nylander, but Slavin would be a hell of a get for Toronto.
Not really. He'd probably just replace Gardiner and although he's an improvement, he's not a big enough improvement to justify moving Nylander

Reactions: Mork

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

But not at the expense of Nylander. I'm talking a package to acquire a top 10 d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad