Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
that was based on an offhand comment by a scout at McKeens, Grant McCagg

It was made by several ex NHL players, commentators and experts.

Don't agree with it though.

How is this any different? It's exactly the same that happened with Laine.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
So it's settled:

McDavid = Gretzky
Matthews = Lemieux

And both play for Canadian teams.
We've obviously entered a new golden era of NHL hockey.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
McKeen's scouts, Alexander Moginly and Jari Kurri compared him to Lemieux in his draft season + Marian Hossa in the last season.

Yes! I believe that was it! Regardless, they were wrong, and I am sure Trotz was wrong. Mario was Mario.

Reactions: DeeQ

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Leafs were the laughing stock of the league and the punchline to so many Laffs jokes. And now the same people want to turn around and tell Leafs fans to quit being openly obnoxious? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Grab your popcorn and enjoy the show folks. Leafs nation is about to hit a whole new level of obnoxious.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Leafs were the laughing stock of the league and the punchline to so many Laffs jokes. And now the same people want to turn around and tell Leafs fans to quit being openly obnoxious? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Grab your popcorn and enjoy the show folks. Leafs nation is about to hit a whole new level of obnoxious.

Just don't complain about the "haters" when people inevitably get annoyed.

Reactions: AnonoJet

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
I will say that if real hockey minds in the sport say this, we can discuss, it is allowed. I just think no matter what it is something that is not really comparable with such young careers.

But it wasn't allowed when the comparison included Laine ;)
There is some double standars going on...

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
But it wasn't allowed when the comparison included Laine ;)
There is some double standars going on...

If I had my true way, I would not even discuss any of them lol even if it came from every hockey mind in the sport. Let these kids have their own careers, plus HFboards is not a place people openly talk without being emotional or objective.

Reactions: DeeQ

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It was made by several ex NHL players, commentators and experts.

Don't agree with it though.

How is this any different? It's exactly the same that happened with Laine.

well if any of them said that it it was never on the record, just innuendo and iheard it from a guy who heard that player x is just like player y

read this:
Laine is a shooter all right. A Simo Häyhä on ice. But he can also control the puck, make plays at top flight, and wields what scouts call a high hockey IQ. That he stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 200 pounds is a bonus.
“He has, as the kids would say, some mad skills. If you want to set some cones out there and make up a challenge, he’s as good as anybody. Now, you gotta get your skills in the game,” Liut cautions.
The agent recently heard an analyst compare Laine and fellow Finnish winger Jesse Puljujarvi to Jari Kurri and Teemu Selanne. He wants the brakes pumped here. “Really? Really? Seriously? It was meant as a compliment, but why don’t we say he stickhandles like Mario Lemieux while we’re at it. That’s unfair. They’re both exceptional players at their age. They’re 18. I think they’ll both be great NHL players, but… steps. Process,” Liut says.

Mike Liut btw is Laine's agent....read that closely a few times,..this is where McCagg put that little gem of his together

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
These days EVERYONE gets a generational player!!! So exciting!!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

In all honesty though, not that the word is not tossed around, Auston's scouting bio does say generational talent, and many in the hockey world say it, not that I am saying it's 100 percent or anything, but it's out there. You are not wrong though, everybody likes to label players that way lol

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Anythings possible I guess, but we're about 75 games and a lot of trophies away from even starting that discussion. Are you jealous?
Ofc not, I've been on the "Matthews is a Generational talent" bandwagon since his USDP days. :) You guys are all late the to party.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I won't. I personally embrace the hate. I can read the jealousy that goes on with the other fanbases. Specially Habs fans. :)

I really love the cycle of leaf fans going way overboard, getting hate for it, and then claiming the hate is based on jealousy as if the ridiculous statements and overhyping plays no part whatsoever in that hate.

Reactions: AnonoJet and NyQuil

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Let me know when the party actually starts, I'll come have a drink.

I think the word generational is used too often. We say Connor is generational because he was called that as a young player growing up, I think it was the worst thing to happen to him, and it doesn't even make it true. I really can't say who or what is generational, but the Orr's, Howe's, Mario's, Gretz's, Roy's, and maybe Sids of the world seem like they were, I feel it was more slapped on Connor. I still love him though!

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
well if any of them said that it it was never on the record, just innuendo and iheard it from a guy who heard that player x is just like player y

read this:

Mike Liut btw is Laine's agent

And that was not the only comparison.
So several people made the comparison with Laine and a coach made the comparison with Matthews.

I'm just saying that it's silly to act that the situation is any different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad